Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Current favorites:

1. Hannibal

2. Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut

3. The Duellists

4. Matchstick Men

5. Black Hawk Down

Blade Runner is fascinating, though. I keep on going back to it, even though I never particularly love it afterwards.

I can't wait to see what Alex's list will look like! :)

(P.S.- it'll be 1. Blade Runner 2. Alien. Maybe 3. The Duellists. And, of course, 4. G.I. Jane )

1. Gladiator

2. Black Hawk Down

3. Hannibal

4. Matchstick Men

5. Blade Runner

I'm like you Morlock, I never really got into Blade Runner. It's a fascinating story with some great visuals, but I found it so incredibly boring. I fell asleep when I first watched it.

1. Blade Runner

2. The Duellists

3. Alien

Only his first three films are good because they have a strong visual expressiveness. These films are more about the artist than about plot, acting or what have you. Honestly, most of his other films feel like they're manufactured in the Tony Scott factory. And I just found out that Scott himself regards Blade Runner and The Duellists as his only two auteur films. I know exactly what he means.

No Morlock, G.I. Jane sucks. I do have an affinaty with the campy Hannibal. In fact, I love Mr. Brooks for the very same reasons.

Alex

1. Alien

2. Hannibal

3. Gladiator

4. Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut)

5. Blade Runner

I also adore great scores of all the abovementioned movies, especially Alien and Hannibal.

The final shot of The Duellists is a picture I would love framed, downright perfect cinematography!

1. Alien

2. Blade Runner

3. Hannibal

4. Kingdom Of Heaven

5. American Gangster

Need to watch Matchstick Men again as judging from other lists it may deserve another look.

1) Blade Runner

2) Alien

3) Gladiator

4) Matchstick Men

5) Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut)

I have a soft spot for Legend.

Just a quick question:

How many of his films actually have only one version?

It seems Scott can't make a movie without aat least modifying it once after its theatrical release.

Alien

Thelma and Louise

its easier to make a top 5 bad Scott list

1. Hannibal, truly awful in all respects.

2. Legend

3. Black Rain

4. 1492

5. G.I. Jane I only put this one here cause it seems to be a consensus that it sucks, but I thought it was good bubblegum.

1 : Alien

2 : Blade Runner

3 : Gladiator

4 : 1492: Conquest Of Paradise

5 : Kingdom Of Heaven

Alien is a masterpiece of atmosphere and visuals. Blade runner too, and some cities of the world now look like that vision with each day. Gladiator for appealing story that really drags the audience in. 1492 for clever film making techniques and historical ride. Kingdom of heaven for at least having a go at telling the story of one of the crusades. With all of these, the storys are far more interesting and daring to bring into movies than the pap which is churned out ordinarily in western cinema generally.

Just a quick question:

It seems Scott can't make a movie without aat least modifying it once after its theatrical release.

Known films with multiple versions: Alien, Blade Runner, Legend, Gladiator, KOH, ... Are there more? I once read that he simply likes different cuts of one movie.

Just a quick question:

Known films with multiple versions: Alien, Blade Runner, Legend, Gladiator, KOH, ... Are there more? I one read that he simply likes different cuts of one movie.

I think that's about it. Scott, like Cameron and Lucas, is a director who is never freakin' satisfied.

Thelma & Louise

Matchstick Men

A Good Year

Gladiator

Black Rain

Just a quick question:

The reason why Scott goes back is to make it the version he wants it, and not how Hollywood wants it.

Director's Cuts of his films:

American Gangster

Kingdom Of Heaven

Black Hawk Down

Gladiator

Legend

Blade Runner

Alien

The rest of his movies are only 1 version.

I believe Scott considers the original versions of Alien and Gladiator to be the definitive versions. Not sure about Gladiator, but Alien certainly.

I think Gladiator and Black Hawk Down aren't his definitive versions. That's why they're not called Director's Cuts but rather Extended Editions. Only difference is that they threw in the deleted scenes.

Scott makes it quite clear his preferred version of Gladiator is the theatrical one.

And rightly so, as the extended edition is an inferior experience.