The first impression is NOT decisive!

Jarbas

Sometimes there are soundtracks doesn´t please me in a first listening! But after I listen to them repeatedly the hearing have make more pleasant while music and context have become more familiar to me.

Two personal examples: Attack of the Clones and now Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

It has already happened to you? Mention examples!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek: The Motion Picture for me. I never thought it was bad, but it took lots of listens before I understood why it was so well-loved. Now it's one of my favourites. :mrgreen:

I clearly remember the majority view on Sorceror's/Philosopher's Stone when it first came out was very negative. The concensus appeared to be it lacked 'magic'.

Now look.

I clearly remember the majority view on Sorceror's/Philosopher's Stone when it first came out was very negative. The concensus appeared to be it lacked 'magic'.

Now look.

There's a very representative phrase from those days that stuck with me: "A new Hook, this ain't".

If I dislike a score right away, I've never gone from dislike to like. But there are scores that neither please or offend me on first listening that gradually grow on me.

Some older scores: Citizen Kane, Cleopatra, King Kong (Steiner), Lord of the Rings (Rosenman)

Jaws: As strange as it may seem. I bought Varese version (it was my first one) and was underwhelmed. But, at that point, I haven't seen the film for many years. The action music seemed to bright. After seeing the movie many years later it was clear that this mix of genres was deliberate and that you should feel this false comfort during the chase sequences. And it suddenly struck just why so many people thought it was masterpiece. The score literally opened before me.

A.I. didn't do much for me during first couple of listens. The same was with Minority Report and many modern Williams scores.

Many Howard Shore scores. He has such an introvert voice.

And pretty much everything from Elliot Goldenthal (not counting Othello ballet, which I loved from the start)

Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3.

And so on...

Karol

Most of the "weird sounding" scores by John Powell. Chicken Run, Pluto Nash, Horton Hears a Who, etc. The instrument selection, and orchestration styles are completely different from pretty much anything else you'll ever hear. The first time I listened to any of them, all I could think is how weird they are, but every time after the first, I just became more and more impressed with their brilliance.

AOTC still is awful. just wanted to point that out, a true low point in John's fantabulous career, it stands out like a sore thumb.

nicholas' comment about Sorcerer's Stone is complete wrong. Didn't happen, yes there were fools who said it reminded them of hook, but they are fools so why worry.

I think the Lost Worlds is mine, it took awhile to adore it, I liked it ok, but didn't love it right away. Then I was a fool.

AOTC still is awful. just wanted to point that out, a true low point in John's fantabulous career, it stands out like a sore thumb.

When I listened to AOTC first time, I think: "What did John Williams make with Star Wars???" :P

But now, after multiple hearings, I feel it better than TPM score in many ways!!! :lol:

I'm crazy? For someones maybe! :P

I think the Lost Worlds is mine, it took awhile to adore it, I liked it ok, but didn't love it right away. Then I was a fool.

The opposite for me. By and large, to me the years have not been kind to The Lost World: Jurassic Park -- at one time a favorite of mine -- save a few gems like "The Stegosaurus." Of course, the score remains a seminal work in Williams's development as a composer, for better or for worse.

AOTC still is awful. just wanted to point that out,

:rolleyes:

If you think your opinion is fact you're wrong. It's just your opinion. While I think AOTC is the weakest Star Wars score, it definitely is not awful as you claim it is.

Edit: It took me a while to get into the score for Star Trek Nemesis, the nearly complete score certainly helped though.

Alien is one I distinctly remember having this happen with. When the Intrada release came out, I was less than impressed, especially given the score's reputation. Nonetheless, I caved, and the "Main Titles" instantly softened me up. The "Hyper Sleep" cue, which hadn't thrilled me in the samples, now was far more enjoyable. All of it was more enjoyable than I had thought it would be.

AOTC still is awful. just wanted to point that out,

:rolleyes:

If you think your opinion is fact you're wrong. It's just your opinion. While I think AOTC is the weakest Star Wars score, it definitely is not awful as you claim it is.

Edit: It took me a while to get into the score for Star Trek Nemesis, the nearly complete score certainly helped though.

but you see, my opinion is the correct one, you must learn to figure that out.

FACT, AOTC is Awful, with a capital A. :P

whether complete or not Nemesis is a completely inappropriate score for a Next Generation film.

Actually, it is not, you are talking bullgarbage and have completely lost the credibility you built up with me over the last 8 years!

Indeed.

Your opinion Joe is NOT the correct one, it's just an opinion neither right nor wrong. There are a lot of people that obviously like the AOTC score (though find it to be the weakest like myself but still likes it).

Star Trek Nemesis' score is not inappropriate as you claim. :rolleyes:

sorry boys, but the Nemsis score is not appropriate for a next generation film, outside the main theme, I'm not making judgement on the score's quality, just the missuse of themes, its not different than Williams idiot use of Star Wars themes in the wretched ROTS.

If you boys can't handle the truth, maybe you shouldn't play.

I don't see why we need to get worked up over someone's opinion, even though he is right.

thanks for the support

but whats more fun someone giving another boring opinion, or someone arguing over an opinion, especially when mine is correct

Prisoner of Azkaban. What a shock that was when you were expecting a more traditional Williams sequel in the SS mold.

Jaws and I didn't click for a long time, but it eventually wore me down.

Interesting thread...

I find that this happens to me much more frequently with pop music than with scores.

For example, when the last U2 album came out, I immediately adored "Vertigo" -- as kick-ass a rock song as there has ever been -- but was left ice-cold by the rest of the songs. It took me a solid week of listening to it before I realized that in fact, I liked every song, and loved about half of them. Why? Beats me.

Same thing with Springsteen's most recent one, as well as "The Rising" before it. (Still not wild about the two that came between them, although they're not at all bad.)

Same thing with the Moby album that came out this year.

With scores, I tend to get a better read on my feelings about them right off the bat. I'm not sure why, but I imagine that it has something to do with the fact that I try to not listen to scores before I see the movies. I couldn't help myself with Revenge of the Sith, and I hated it -- I mean, hated it! However, when I saw the movie, it sounded fine, and the next time I listened to the CD, I enjoyed it pretty well.

So maybe it's an expectations-versus-reality thing, I dunno.

Yes. KOTCS is a good example. You'd thought that the new themes were underused and most of music is dull underscore. Which isn't the case.

Karol

KotCS is the perfect example right now.

I saw the film last night, and I'm suddenly attaching images to the score - and I love it! Mutt's theme is now driving me mad, Iriana's theme is kinda cute, and the Skull theme is... mysterious.

And I love the Jungle Chase :lol:

Indy 4 is definately a textbook example for me too. I had a hard time warming up to it in it's album presentation, but one movie viewing and one film edit later, and I can hardly stop thinking about it when I'm not listening to it.

KotCS is the perfect example right now.

I saw the film last night, and I'm suddenly attaching images to the score - and I love it! Mutt's theme is now driving me mad, Iriana's theme is kinda cute, and the Skull theme is... mysterious.

And I love the Jungle Chase :blink:

I fully agree! ;)

I have this quite frequently. There's not that many scores that are instantly enjoyable, but usually with the good score I find a lot to enjoy after multiple listens. Unfortunately I usually don't have much time to give scores multiple listens. Even scores that are said to be really good, but I have so far failed to appreciate. Examples are Alien and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I still don't really appreciate these much outside the main theme(s) and obvious tracks like The Enterprise.

Indeed the most recent example is Indy IV. On my first listen I was really quite underwhelmed, but several listens later, I find I like it a lot more. I now made a film order edit and I expect that with that and the fact I saw the film yesterday, my opinion of the score will improve further still.

Complex things need time to be appreciated.

Strange. I thought Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one of the most accesible scores of all time. Even all those "cloud" cues.

Karol

So far I don't much like those cloud cues. It sounds interesting and original for sure, but so far not really enjoyable. But that's probably because I'm definitly not really familiar with it. Is there some sort of theme in there?

It's interesting how many people mentioned Alien, isn't it? :huh:

Did anybody's appreciation of this score soar even higher after listening to Intrada's magnificent 2 CD edition?

It sounds interesting and original for sure, but so far not really enjoyable. But that's probably because I'm definitly not really familiar with it. Is there some sort of theme in there?

Oh...yes there's a theme in there. Illia's theme's is actually quite prominent in a lot of the cloud music...you also have the repeating arpeggio motifs for the cloud.

It's a very thematic score, but not necessarily in the most melodic of ways. Once the themes start hitting you, you realize how amazingly everything is woven through, and reiterated, or presented in menacing ways or innocent ways. Just listen to "Inner Workings" against "Ilia's Theme."

For such an experience it'd help to turn out the lights, and just listen to the score with no distractions, letting your imagination take flight.

Actually the V'ger/cloud cues where the ones that hooked me into this score.

The actual Star Trek theme had been used in commercials/advertising leading up to the films release and it was practically implanted in my brain. It was nice to hear something else. As a child I thought the blaster beam was awsome. Of course at the time I thought it was an electric guitar that had been processed.

Speaking of that does anyone else remember MacDonald's ST:TMP kids happy meals? :huh:

I forgot to mention GoldenEye. At first, it really got on my nerves, but has grown on me nicely over the years. ;) It's definitely still very different from all other 007 scores.

When I first bought TMP I hardly stopped listening to it for six months.

It's my favourite Goldsmith score! In that case my first impression was decisive! ;)

Did you already know the similarity between some TMP and Poltergeist tracks and The Map Room: Dawn (string passages)?