80 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes.
    • No.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on-screen it isn't. Only what's on-screen is canon.

Neil

But you know Neil won't accept that. Just like Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope does not exist.

ULTRA LOL

So Neil what is canon Star Wars or Star Wars Episode IV etc...

Neil

But you know Neil won't accept that. Just like Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope does not exist.

ULTRA LOL

You tell me. Both have been released on home video.

Neil

Yes, I was dissapointed. But also, no, it hit the spot. Unfortunately, at the moment, it's more yes than no, and that's my vote.

Neil

ULTRA LOL

You tell me. Both have been released on home video.

Neil

But one was not on anamorphic widescreen so its garbage that belongs to the trashbin.

I don't know what happened today. Was it because the weather is good? Because it wasn't midnight?

After my second viewing, I like it better. A lot. I still can't say I love it, but it's a very good movie.

Misses Padmé, I know your feelings!

Johnny boy is still underwhelming in key scenes, though.

I don't think it would've hurt to shorten the title to simply Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls or what not.

The right title should be Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Mediocrity, I think.

This really shows what it is. Not good, not bad - just mediocre. The most mediocre movie Spielberg ever made.

Isn't it what the ideal summer blockbuster should be today?

It's still a boring film upon a second showing. Didn't change my opinion.

What suprises me is the lack of people attending around here, the theatre was still half full on a Saturday. We live in a well populated area.

My mom is coming out here this week and we were thinking of seeing this at the Cinerama Dome, but I just can't stand the idea of sitting in a dark theater having spent money (my one viewing of this was free) and then having to endure that actionless, talky middle section. The thought of that made me cancel that screening with my mom.

We're still going to the new digital restoration of The Adventures of Robin Hood though, a screening that has been sold out for weeks.

Neil

but I just can't stand the idea of sitting in a dark theater having spent money (my one viewing of this was free) and then having to endure that actionless, talky middle section. T

Actually,that was a good part of the move for me.I think Mutt and Indy had good chemistry and I liked the grave digging stuff. The section I like the least is from the moment of

Oxley's appearance in the camp to when they get to the big pillar.

And the worst scene is definately the

snake pit sequence

Well I had to take my wife and my daughter wanted to see it, we also took my father-in-law. He actually liked it but then he's

into UFO's.

Besides I didn't have to pay this time. :blink:

hahaha

Well if you think about it ,E.T.,CE3K,WotW ,and A.I.(kind of) has that element too ,and those films aren't considered totally outlandish .I wonder why people can't accept this type of story in Indiana jones

My mom is coming out here this week and we were thinking of seeing this at the Cinerama Dome, but I just can't stand the idea of sitting in a dark theater having spent money (my one viewing of this was free) and then having to endure that actionless, talky middle section.

Hm, that's funny, I seem to remember this little film called Raiders of the Lost Ark, which had an actionless, talky middle section. Weird.

KotCS doesn't have an actionless, talky middle section. It just seems like it does because the "talky" scenes are boring. They feel like they take forever.

Man, I'm amazed at how many people forgot to take their medication before they went to the theater. I experienced no such problems of boredom.

Actually, the problem for me is that I can't quite figure out what the middle section is precisely.

I thought these scenes went pretty fast

Speed Racer is one movie where the talky scenes seemed to stretch into an eternity

Haven't seen that yet--probably won't in the theater.

Actually, for me, I would actually add some more talking--with Indy and Marion. (I know I've said this before, but pardon my redundancy, as it applies here). I actually think there's enough action for it to work, but somewhere between the camp sequence and the arrival at the temple, I feel like it's missing one more break to allow for the characters and the film to breathe and more solidly establish the reconnection. Putting Mutt and Marion in real jeopardy towards the end would be great, but the lack of that would be more forgivable if there was a better development of the Indy/Marion angle. This, of course, is all from the perspective of having seen the film only once. I hope to see it again tomorrow, and I'll see what I think then.

Man, I'm amazed at how many people forgot to take their medication before they went to the theater. I experienced no such problems of boredom.

Actually, the problem for me is that I can't quite figure out what the middle section is precisely.

Hey, you're right. I forgot to take my medication for, you know, ADHD. That must be why I didn't like the movie.

Actually, for me, I would actually add some more talking--with Indy and Marion.

Yes, I mentioned in my kinda review that I would have had them bitch at each other a while longer before making up, just for the fun of it if nothing else.

I think it was best to keep most of the dialogue between indy and Mutt .Karen Allens acting seemed a bit creaky .I think she was retired from movies for too long.

Yeah, she was much better in Raiders. Having said that, she was spot-on when

she started smiling after Indy's "they weren't you, honey" line.

This, of course, is all from the perspective of having seen the film only once. I hope to see it again tomorrow, and I'll see what I think then.

Most people (including me) have found it to be much more enjoyable on the second go. Have fun!

My mom is coming out here this week and we were thinking of seeing this at the Cinerama Dome, but I just can't stand the idea of sitting in a dark theater having spent money (my one viewing of this was free) and then having to endure that actionless, talky middle section.

Hm, that's funny, I seem to remember this little film called Raiders of the Lost Ark, which had an actionless, talky middle section. Weird.

Again, better film, better dialogue, made by a Spielberg in his prime, etc etc etc

You should watch it again. The pace never lets up on that one.

Neil

The funniest thing about these arguments is that he's actually right. And we don't have any sensibible argument to prove he's not. And yet everyone is outraged by his reaction. Personally I was never quite as schizophrenic about one single movie.

BTW Saw it third time, this time a digital version. After something like 15 minutes I forgot about this very thing. Which brings me to conclusion that there wasn't much of a difference.

Karol - still wondering what w warehouse WITH MANY IMPORTANT THINGS was doing in close proximity of a nuclear experimentation site.

If I recall correctly, the time between Indy escaping at the end of the track to his arrival at Doom Town is covered by a dissolve. I don't remember seeing the base anywhere. True, he can't have gotten TOO far, but we just don't know, and for me, it's safe enough to just say it is, if nothing else, just out of range.

Again, better film, better dialogue, made by a Spielberg in his prime, etc etc etc

No doubt. But that's not he was complaining about, he was complaining about the lack of action--if I understand him correctly...

You should watch it again. The pace never lets up on that one.

Neil

The pacing is impeccable--actually most Spielberg films I've seen have great pacing--the Indiana Jones films of course, but Jurassic Park being a particularly standout. But the stretch between the Basket Game and the Airplane Fight? Close to if not forty-five minutes. Unless by actionless you weren't speaking only of set pieces.

If I recall correctly, the time between Indy escaping at the end of the track to his arrival at Doom Town is covered by a dissolve. I don't remember seeing the base anywhere. True, he can't have gotten TOO far, but we just don't know, and for me, it's safe enough to just say it is, if nothing else, just out of range.

But it's still kind of dangerous to keep Ark of the Covenant in a place like this. If the result of an experiment was predictable there wouldn't be a need to do this in the first place. Shouldn't there be a radiation problem or something?

The pacing is impeccable--actually most Spielberg films I've seen have great pacing--the Indiana Jones films of course, but Jurassic Park being a particularly standout. But the stretch between the Basket Game and the Airplane Fight? Close to if not forty-five minutes. Unless by actionless you weren't speaking only of set pieces.

This middle section of Raiders is my favourite part of the film. The Map Room, going into Well of the Souls, second drinking scene with Toht's entrance at the end, first view on Ark, escape from the Well... Some of my favourite scenes of the series. Ironically, during most of this sequence score is very non-descript.

Karol

What un uninspiring, noisy, chaotic, unbelievable, unrealistic, computergame SW-prequel-style B-movie KotCS is.

Ok, there are some good points: Harrison Ford as Indy, the pacing is good indeed, the music of course (although not as inspired as it could have been were the movie more inspiring). Cate Blanchett is fine, Mutt is ok, even the

alien

theme is ok.

All the bad things have already been mentioned. An Indy movie doesn't have to be realistic but come on, put at least some verisimilitude in it. I have decided not to see any new George Lucas movies in my life again. This movie is a disgrace to Spielberg himself and to Williams also, what a waste of talent.

Computer game SW-prequel-style? Bull. KOTCS doesn't even approach being that bad. For me, the worst part was indeed that lack of seriousness to the family plotline. That's the real flaw of the film. I don't deny that there is some CG that I really badly wish wasn't there, but it wouldn't be as big a deal if the Indy/Marion and Indy/Marion/Mutt dynamics were better fleshed out and given a little more gravity at some point. But even with all that, I couldn't help but enjoy myself both times I saw the film, and I plan to do so again when I watch it on Friday with my cousin. The prequels have serious internal issues, and while the films are enjoyable to some degree, not only do they not succeed in that capacity like KOTCS does, but they are visually inferior, and nowhere near as stable.

hahaha

Well if you think about it ,E.T.,CE3K,WotW ,and A.I.(kind of) has that element too ,and those films aren't considered totally outlandish .I wonder why people can't accept this type of story in Indiana jones

Those movies are about aliens, plain and simple. Indiana Jones was always adventures about finding real artifacts or based on real historical items. The fourth entry now introduces an alien relic, it just doesn't feel right for the character.

I thought they handled it very well, and this is coming from someone who was vehemently against any alien involvement in Indiana Jones films when the idea was first mentioned. Crystal skulls exist, just not in this way. It's all rooted in the same archaeological/religious motif as the previous films, and it's only at the very end that you actually see anything beyond that.

Well my daughter, who could really care less about analyzing films, turned to me and said "that's not what Indiana Jones films are about, it doesn't even feel like an IJ film."

hahaha

Those movies are about aliens, plain and simple. Indiana Jones was always adventures about finding real artifacts or based on real historical items. The fourth entry now introduces an alien relic, it just doesn't feel right for the character.

I got over that feeling in two days...

I thought they handled it very well, and this is coming from someone who was vehemently against any alien involvement in Indiana Jones films when the idea was first mentioned. Crystal skulls exist, just not in this way. It's all rooted in the same archaeological/religious motif as the previous films, and it's only at the very end that you actually see anything beyond that.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

People are complaining that Indy does nothing in the Finale and everything just happens around him

In Raiders he's tied to a pole for the last 10 minutes of the movie.

That was a decision Indy made. He could have easily blown up the Ark but he too wanted to see it opened, perhaps he knew it would kill everyone.

That was a decision Indy made. He could have easily blown up the Ark but he too wanted to see it opened, perhaps he knew it would kill everyone.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm what?

He didnt want to blow marion or the nazis killing her.