If Temple Of Doom was made today...

Quintus

... the bit where Short Round swings towards the rope from the ladder as he escapes his incarceration, would have not needed a stunt person. Instead the camera would have been fixed straight on Jonathan Ke Quan's young face, whilst he glided past a great big cg background. Fact.

Why did I post this? Because Kingdom of the Crystal Skull bugs me, that's why.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really doubt TOD could be made exactly the way it was in today's climate. I don't know if Spielberg would be that brave.

I really doubt TOD could be made exactly the way it was in today's climate. I don't know if Spielberg would be that brave.

Brave enough to make intense politically convulted thillers, but not brave enough for a bit darker popcorn flick. Interesting.

Karol,

TOD received quite a bit of backlash when it was first released. It could potentially be worse in this day and age. A smaller drama is one thing, but a Summer blockbuster is something else.

Maybe. But such controversy could as well help the movie. The Passion of the Christ made quite a lot of money. And it is a blockbuster, sort of. :blink:

Karol

Most of you who dislike KOTCS would hate TOD if it were released today.

I'd certainly hope not.

I'd certainly hope not.

This movie is no different than TOD. The people here (and elsewhere) dislike KOTCS for the same reason they disliked TPM -- they are 20 years older and 20 years more desensitized and the newer movies don't give them the same feeling the old ones did. Lucas said this was going to happen and he was right.

BTW :blink: Lucas

Lucas is my mastaaa!

Hahahaha what?

BTW, while looking at your avatar...

What was this scene with grave robbers all about? It didn't make any sense.

Karol

Lucas is my mastaaa!
Hahahaha what?

BTW, while looking at your avatar...

What was this scene with grave robbers all about? It didn't make any sense.

Karol

Yeah... It kind of sucked. I should change my avatar.

Folks, re-read The Great Eye's first post-- it's not about political correctness (or lack thereof), it's about how reliant filmmakers have become on CGI. Take Superman, when Reeve takes off in the Fortress of Solitude, that's him, on the set, giving the illusion that a man can fly. Yes, he was in some sort of harness (and yes, as a child I examined it more closely than Stone did the Zapruder film, looking for hints of the cable in the shot), but it was a Wow moment when seen on the big screen. Now, with CGI, everything in a shot (including the actors) can be faked. Bye-bye Wow factor. Sorry, if I come across as not respecting the work that CGI artist do, but I prefer my film making staying in the physical world as much as possible.

I'd certainly hope not.

This movie is no different than TOD. The people here (and elsewhere) dislike KOTCS for the same reason they disliked TPM -- they are 20 years older and 20 years more desensitized and the newer movies don't give them the same feeling the old ones did. Lucas said this was going to happen and he was right.

Exactly! Like ToD, KotCS broke the Indy mold that had been set by Raiders and reinforced by LC (though I find LC to be very original). A perfect example of this is the different types of main titles. Raiders and LC are similiar in conception, while ToD and KotCS are extremely different (from both themselves and the other films). The whole film was like that, right from the

opening car race to the wedding.

For all the times I have seen Indy movies, the only one that ever was a masterpiece was the first one, and even that one is not perfect. Re: Temple of Doom comparisons, I can only imagine how I would react to this movie if I were 9 years old again. I have a feeling I'll watch it quite a bit, and it offers things the other movies don't, unlike LC.

Spielberg uses CGI for his own convenience, and doesn't seem to be connected with audiences anymore when it comes to the connection of imagery and reaction. I felt Munich had lighting and stock that more closely resembled the old Indy movies, so maybe Spielberg should have gone for a rougher look.

The people here (and elsewhere) dislike KOTCS for the same reason they disliked TPM -- they are 20 years older and 20 years more desensitized and the newer movies don't give them the same feeling the old ones did. Lucas said this was going to happen and he was right.

That couldn't be more wrong. 20 years ago I was three years old.

Lucas hasn't been right about a single thing for ages, it's just a very lame and generalising excuse to cover eventual weaknesses of the movie in advance.

KotCS broke the Indy mold that had been set by Raiders and reinforced by LC

It's not a mold, it's staying true to the feel. And while ToD may not have the same feel, it was, and still is, a well-written, well-crafted, exciting movie that also had a good dose of humor that worked, even if it was sometimes on the level of a joyful "I don't believe they did this."

KOTCS is nothing of that, and while the ToD humor at least made you laugh incredulously, the good part of the humor in KOTCS leaves you completely cold.

Some of you have no idea what you are talking about or you just like spouting bs about things.

TOD is a brilliant film but Spielberg wouldn't have the guts to make it like he did in 1984.

However getting back to TGE's original post I understand what he's getting at. In fact the mine car chase would have become a headache induced blur with the car zipping all over the screen.

Oh give it a rest! What a load of utter nonsense. A great picture is a great picture, a bad picture is a bad one, it's that simple. So you are telling me I'm not able to enjoy any film made today which is aimed at a younger target audience simply because I'm not a child?

Do yourself a favour and refrain from assuming such ludicrous judgments in the future if you don't mind. Comments like that are the very reason I abhor fanboys. Lucas said... not interested. Younger individuals like yourself just decide to plaster the nostalgic label onto all of us without any intelligent logic to back yourselves up. You just assume we are all like that, and I find that to be an extremely childish and unfounded method of thinking to be perfectly honest.

If Temple Of Doom was made today...

Political correctness ideology in our cultures would make making that movie today, pretty difficult. Even Raiders of the Lost Ark would have a hard time in ways. That's why we can cherish those two movies now. They got in while they had the chance.

Yeah, I know people who bitch about TOD being a racist movie because it shows evil Indians eating bugs and monkey brains. I usually shoot back at them by saying that's evened out by the peaceful village Indians who do nothing wrong in the film.

KotCS isn't exactly PC if you ask me. A more PC version would have a nice, thoughtful indigenous person who helped Indiana Jones or something. As it is, Native Peruvians looked like mindless savages, more animal than human. I'm not complaining... I'm just saying the controversy with TOD had less to do with the racism I think but with the fact that a film aimed partially at kids depicted people's hearts getting taken out and with children being beaten and that kind of thing.

As far as the effects go, I agree with the initial post and even the lighting was a problem where the characters didn't seem like they were interacting in the real world at times. If everything else had been good, I probably wouldn't have cared that much but when other things seem off, its just one more thing that makes it harder to get into the story.

- Adam

Spielberg uses CGI for his own convenience, and doesn't seem to be connected with audiences anymore when it comes to the connection of imagery and reaction. I felt Munich had lighting and stock that more closely resembled the old Indy movies, so maybe Spielberg should have gone for a rougher look.

Yeah, KotCS didn't so much make me long for the Spielberg of 1981 as it made me long for the Spielberg of 2005. Things were so much better just three years ago.

Political correctness is a big pile of dog poo.

Lots of groups demanding equality, and when they complain about "discrimination" in a particular film, they don't realise that treating them in some special way is also hurting equality, or leads to "discrimination" of others.

Nowhere do people get more pretentious and discriminatory than in discussions about political correctness.