The Incredible Hulk

Trent B

Well haven't seen a thread about this but Craig Armstrong is doing the new Incredible Hulk movie and his score is getting a full treatment and you can order it here on Amazon.

I have personally never heard any of Armstrong's music but I'll give his music a whirl with the Hulk score.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's also using the theme from the old TV series with Bill Bixby.

You can hear short statements of it in the trailer.

Well since Ang Lee nearly killed the franchise they decided to re-boot with a new cast but it's still a sequel I think.

I believe Banner is already the Hulk and on the run when the film begins.

If you'll pardon the pun, we've got a banner for the new movie hanging up at my theatre, and I've been very surprised to see how many people, when walking by it, notice it and sound as if they are excited to see the movie.

I'm one of the tiny minority of people who actually liked the Ang Lee film, but I too felt like it had probably destroyed every shred of good will that general audiences had toward the franchise. (This isn't a sequel, technically speaking, but most people won't know that.)

But it appears that that might not be the case, and I'm starting to think that The Incredible Hulk might be a surprise smash.

Well haven't seen a thread about this but Craig Armstrong is doing the new Incredible Hulk movie and his score is getting a full treatment and you can order it here on Amazon.

I have personally never heard any of Armstrong's music but I'll give his music a whirl with the Hulk score.

The Incredible Hulk score in a double disk edition! :folder:

What is the label? Release the Williams scores in that way!!!

You know, I'm going to buy that score whether it's good or not, just to cast a vote for similar such releases in the future.

I've never understood why more scores don't get that treatment right off the bat. I mean, the music is already recorded, and it's not like it costs much to manufacture the discs. Charge a buck or two more; we're all nuts anyways, of course we'll pay it!

Because in most cases it's all about the reuse fees and stuff like that and that is why most don't get a full treatment right off the bat. Even when scores do get a treatment from FSM, Intrada or what ever they're still limited and it's because of the reuse fees.

Edit: Unless the score is recorded in London then you don't have to worry about the reuse fees.

Because in most cases it's all about the reuse fees and stuff like that and that is why most don't get a full treatment right off the bat. Even when scores do get a treatment from FSM, Intrada or what ever they're still limited and it's because of the reuse fees.

Edit: Unless the score is recorded in London then you don't have to worry about the reuse fees.

That makes sense.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but those rules need to be changed. It seems to me like these folks -- and at a guess here, we're talking about the musicians rather than the composers -- would be more concerned with having their music actually be heard and properly archived for posterity than they would be with squeezing a few extra pennies out of the deal in the short run. Making the music readily available and affordable could not possibly fail to earn everyone involved more money in the long run, or at least that's how it seems to me. Better presentation leads to better overall product leads to a better overall consumer base, is my take on it; but I'm no economist, so who knows.

Like I said earlier, I'm buying this one on principle. Pre-ordered it along with The Happening just now, in fact.

It seems to me like these folks -- and at a guess here, we're talking about the musicians rather than the composers -- would be more concerned with having their music actually be heard and properly archived for posterity than they would be with squeezing a few extra pennies out of the deal in the short run.

Evidently, they are not.

Mark is right about that. This is a reboot but at the same time still a sequel.

It seems they did not had they guts to retel the creation of the hulk one more time, after only 5 years.

Ang Lee's version rules, BTW.

Ang Lee's version rules, BTW.

Hell yeah....

Greg - looking forward to the sequel, but hoping it does indeed have some respect for Lee's superb "original".....

Just watch that track listing and cover get replaced before long. :rolleyes:

That said, if this is real, I wonder why this happened and what it means for score releases--and why KOTCS didn't get this treatment!

I have yet to see Lee's film. But the trailers for this one makes it look like a major crap-fest. And Edward Norton can get my on my nerves when he plays it all intense (He was deadly dull in The Illusionist). And forgive me if I have low expectations from the director of The Transporter movies.

You know, I'm going to buy that score whether it's good or not, just to cast a vote for similar such releases in the future.

I think it's a good attitude... but with an extra money! :blink:

Then what about the Star Wars films?

Wow, a 2 Disc release? I've never heard any of this guy's music, but it must be pretty good if he gets this sort of treatment. Although it'll probably be more generic MV noise.

Then what about the Star Wars films?

Read his last line.....if it's recorded overseas then there is no re-use fees.

Exactly and the reason why Star Wars at least the Prequels haven't been given a full treatment yet (I'm sure it'll happen eventually) because the people at Lucasfilm are dumb asses.

Wow, a 2 Disc release? I've never heard any of this guy's music, but it must be pretty good if he gets this sort of treatment.

Craig Armstrong is not a good composer.

Although it'll probably be more generic MV noise.

Shut up. It pisses me off when people make idiotic comments like these. It's discrimination, making negative remarks to a whole group (which btw doesn't even exist anymore).

Also, as far as I know, Craig Armstrong has nothing to do with the (former) MV crowd.

My implication wasn't that he worked for MV, but that 90% of composers these days can't score anything BUT MV style garbage for action music.

And yes, I'm generalizing. Sometimes they can do good music (ala Pirates or X-Men 3), but clearly John Powell is the only one among them with any true talent. Zimmer seems to need a staff of 9 people to score simple scenes himself.

If you're going to insult them get it right, it's RC now.

And Koray it's not nice to tell people to shut up when they are expressing their opinions, no matter how silly or idiotic it may seem to you.

God knows I've refrained for many years.

Yes, I realize. We all get carried away when we're angry.

As for The Incredible Hulk... the score seems interesting. Armstrong isn't anything special, but he does have a Hulk Theme, which I recall was lacking in Elfman's score.

If you're going to insult them get it right, it's RC now.

And Koray it's not nice to tell people to shut up when they are expressing their opinions, no matter how silly or idiotic it may seem to you.

They can change their name but it's still the same damn thing.

Indeed. Especially just after you factually state that Armstrong is not a good composer. You're in danger of becoming Joe.

Hey, hey can we just get back to the original topic at hand and enough with the media ventures bashing crap? This is about the Incredible Hulk score, not bashing a genre of music.

Armstrong isn't anything special, but he does have a Hulk Theme, which I recall was lacking in Elfman's score.

Uh, there was a Hulk theme and it was played quite extensively throughout the score, a descending motif played most commonly on the flute.

Armstrong isn't anything special, but he does have a Hulk Theme, which I recall was lacking in Elfman's score.

Uh, there was a Hulk theme and it was played quite extensively throughout the score, a descending motif played most commonly on the flute.

That's why I can't enjoy so many film scores these days. A descending motif is not the same thing as a theme IMO. So many films resort to these for "themes".

I think it was meant to represent psychological aspect of Bruce and not the Hulk.

Edward Norton used an alias for his part in writing, I really don't understand the purpose of aliases.

Probably something to do with the Writers Guild; he may have had to use a pseudonym during the strike, or something of that nature.

Craig Arsmtrong is an excellent composer and has a good grasp of arranging and production too.

Plunkett & MacCleane

Love Actually

Romeo & Juliet

Moulin Rouge

The Bone Collector

The above are just a small example of his highlights and certainly don't warrant such a childish / unfoundered remark as 'not a good composer' Koray.

Re the London reuse fees, there are actually fees enforced by the UK Musicians Union since the 1990's, they just aren't as expensive as the US Federation.

• 2 weeks later...

The effects don't look very good (both the Hulk and Roth's ridicules jump). Music doesn't sound like anything partiuclalry good or bad (I did get a Kilar vibe, though).

i can just laugh at how little (if any at all) improvement in the CGI in 5 years.

Plus this one moves worse.

Does the clip hulking out feature the hulk motif from elfman? I'm shocked they screwed continuity in everything except the score...

I think the human form is probably going to take while for CGI artists to perfect.

But it looks on par with ILM.

Does the clip hulking out feature the hulk motif from elfman? I'm shocked they screwed continuity in everything except the score...

No, it's different... but also uses strings. ;)

I think the human form is probably going to take while for CGI artists to perfect.

But it looks on par with ILM.

except we are not in 2003, and this does not take advantage of Davy jones.

I was very comfortable with the CGI Hulk in the first movie. And, I saw, in this movie too!

Music clips are available at Amazon.com: The Incredible Hulk Soundtrack [MP3]. I'm listening them right now!

... and yes many excerpts are similar with Elfman score...