Sydney Pollack, dead at 73

Hlao-roo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I made that post before you edited your original. I still would like a link to the article, because I can't find it.

It's a breaking news alert; that's why the story/article is pending.

Why is that? Is he still breathing or what?

Sorry for the cynicism, but it brings back memories of TV stations commenting 24/7 live about every single last breath of Johannes Paul II.

I don't see the parallel, but OK.

Not unexpected, yet very sad. I can't say I've seen a huge amount of his films, but I loved his work on screen.

RIP. I didn't even know he was sick! I enjoyed his work both behind and in front of the camera.

I'm not being sarcastic or anything, but who was he? His name sounds so familiar but I can't put my finger on who he was.

I'm not being sarcastic or anything, but who was he? His name sounds so familiar but I can't put my finger on who he was.

He was the director of movies like Out of Africa, Tootsie, Three Days of the Condor, the remake of Sabrina (which Williams scored) as well as an actor who starred in several films, most recently as the head of the law firm in Michael Clayton. Read the NY Times article that was posted in this thread for more info.

I had the chance to met him few years ago , he was visiting the museum I worked , we shake hands , I talked about Sabrina and its score , he said "John Williams is very professional "

RIP

I haven't seen a few of his more prominent movies, but he'd be worth mourning if he'd only made Out of Africa and Tootsie, both of which are true classics in my book.

And he was a terrific on-screen presence. He was one of those actors who never, ever sounded as if they were delivering dialogue; he was a natural, and his ability to be convincing on-screen always improved the movies he was in.

He'll be missed, but he'll also be remembered for years to come.

I loved his work as Will's dad on WILL & GRACE. Only watched Season 8 on DVD last weekend and if anyone has seen Season 8 they will know what I'm talking about. Talk about fiction becoming fact. Tragic news and a much beloved actor and director. I loved his turn on CHANGING LANES.

Sydney, you are missed and you were taken from us far too quickly.

Hitch

Tootsie was a great movie, and he was great in it.

he just had a timing and rythem as an actor that made him interesting to watch. I always wondered what he could have done in a leading role.