R.I.P. Alexander Courage

BLUMENKOHL

RIP Alexander Courage.

Another massive loss to the musical community. His iconic music for Star Trek helped inspire so many of the young minds that became the geniuses that touched every aspect of our lives today.

Rest in peace, Mr. Courage.

Cue the original Star Trek main titles!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he's been ill for a while, but still sad news. Rest in peace. :rolleyes:

I don't want to sound trivial, but I do think it's nice that he lived to see his Superman IV score released, and finally get the recognition it deserves.

Beyond the rim of the starlight,

my love is wand'ring in star flight.

I know he'll find

In star clustered reaches

Love, strange love

A starwoman teaches.

I know his journey ends never.

His Star Trek will go on forever.

But tell him while

He wanders his starry sea,

Remember,

Remember me.

Thanks for the music, Sandy. R.I.P. in that great concert hall in the sky.

I don't want to sound trivial, but I do think it's nice that he lived to see his Superman IV score released, and finally get the recognition it deserves.

Not trivial at all, it's wonderful. He was not just a good composer, but an accomplished orchestrator for the best, look at this list (from the article Blu linked to):

Williams- Fiddler on the Roof, The Poseidon Adventure, Hook and Jurassic Park

Goldsmith- Basic Instinct, First Knight, The Mummy, Air Force One, Mulan, Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: Insurrection

RIP

Now if only we can get.......I better not finish that sentence.

It's fun being the Grim Reaper

Oh NO! :( Rest in peace, dear Mr Courage ... :P:(

Yes indeed.

I admit, I'm only familiar with his music to the Star Trek Original Series, but I love it. Still, what a terrible tradegy. :P Rest in peace, Mr. Courage.

Oh no, such sad news indeed. :P

R.I.P. Mr. Courage thank you for giving us great music and a wonderful theme that has been remembered for years.

Edit: When I get the Superman FSM set I'll be sure to listen to Superman IV first in honor of him.

Oh my. This is a dark day.

Rest in peace Mr Courage. Your amazing body of work will be a constant reminder of your genius. I'm so glad Superman IV was released in your lifetime. What a great "lost" score!

Alexander Courage was a consumate musician. He could do it all. He might not have been the best in the field, but was surelly among the finests, and saddens me that he never got the recognition he deserved.

Really sad news :P

I'll listen to his Porgy and Bess fantasy to remember what a great musician he was.

I'll do that too... I just had a really pleasent evening, and was shocked with this news, but I'm sure that through Mr. Courages wonderful musical legacy, I'll be back to the good mood I was just a few minutes ago.

And thank you Sandy Courage, for all the wonderful music.

I don't have any of Alexander Courages scores so his achievements are highly under-appreciated by me but I do know that he was a strong musical influence within the film score community. The most obvious of his work I know is his famous Star Trek theme although it might seem that he will be forever known as the man who wrote the Star Trek music.

To know that he has been lost to this mortal world is extremely saddening and the void that his loss creates would be equal as when the world recently lost Jerry Goldsmith or Basil Poledouris.

My thoughts and sympathies go out to his Family, his Friends and all the fans world wide.

He was the engineer of Hollywood sound, he merited the honorary oscar!

I don't know why the death of composers is always painful, it's like they were forgotten.

I was recently watching the long interview john Burlingame did with him on Youtube about his TV work.....I was really taken with his humor and kindness (not to mention his amazing memory).

Superman 4: The Quest for Peace - Arranged and Conducted by Alexander Courage! :rolleyes:

AND...

Main Theme from Star Trek, The Television Show :)

Thanks a lot, Mr. Courage!

He also orchestrated Alex North's The Agony and the Ecstasy.

The musical, My Fair Lady by Andre Previn. Plus a few other musicals, Oklahoma! and Singin' in the Rain.

Porgy and Bess, the film version of a famous Gershwin opera.

The Big Country, the well known western score by Jerome Moross.

Williams does not orchestrate any of his filmscores himself.

I really don't know what that means, not that it matters much.

Williams does not orchestrate any of his filmscores himself.

I really don't know what that means, not that it matters much.

Please let not make this yet another does-Williams-orchestrate-his-own-scores thread.

Oh my goodness!

This is sad news. He blew me away with Superman 4.

Exactly, that is one of his best efforts I think. But also one of the few where he really gets his own thing to do. He mostly was kind of invisible as an orchestrator, but I am so glad he did all the work for mr. Williams.

JWACFOR.jpg

Neil

why didnt they co-nominated courage for the academy award?

Because the nomination was for the "adaptation", not the orchestration, and Williams was the only one credited for that:

fiddlerik0.jpg

JWACFOR.jpg

Neil

why didnt they co-nominated courage for the academy award?

Because the nomination was for the "adaptation", not the orchestration, and Williams was the only one credited for that:

fiddlerik0.jpg

Exactly, Williams name was earlier in the credits named as "Music adapted by"

Williams is such a gentleman.

No he is not. remember the story of a John Williams fan who got an autgraph of williams after one concert.?.. and one year later John Williams didn't even bother about givng him a second one. He just went on and ignored him.