Track 12 "Grave Robbers"

Josh500

Hmmm, reminds me of Memoirs, The Lost World, and Minority Report somehow.

Love it, although it's not the best KotCS has to offer.

What does everybody think of it?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first segment of the track with scrambling percussion and piano darting about in the lower registers is a fresh and welcome addition to the Williams tradition of "skulk/conspiracy" scoring, which dates at least as far back as Close Encounters and also finds memorable rendition in Black Sunday, Empire of the Sun, JFK, Jurassic Park, and Nixon, among other films. The stylistic similarities are clear, but Williams always seems to mix things up enough to keep it from sounding stale.

The second segment of the track, on the other hand, sounds shopworn: too blatantly out of the The Lost World: Jurassic Park playbook for my taste.

What about the scene in which

Indy & co. escape from Indians in Akator

? There is Grave Robbers-like music and I wonder whether it's in that track or it's something new. Does anyone know?

It's the second section of the cue. The actual "Grave Robbers" cue (the first section of the track) was partially tracked onto that scene. Check out the complete score analyses on the front page.

toooooo many reminders of previous works... irrelevant

It's reminiscent of past works, sure, but I don't think that makes it necessarily bad.

I wonder who played the Shakuhachi this time around . . .

Funnily enough, the opening sort of reminded me a little bit of the beginning of John Adams's El Dorado, albeit a much faster and more frenetic version of the latter. I suppose that connection is appropriate for this film...