The OFFICIAL IJ4 Script Thread

Jeshopk

I would be very eager to discuss what people know of the various drafts of Indy 4. As far as I know drafts were done by:

Jeb Stuart

Shyamalan (I refuse to call someone so pretentious by an initial and a time of day)

Frank Darabont

That Rush Hour/Catch Me If You Can guy

And finally the David "Cringer" Koepp (Cringer because he is the king of cringe-worthy lines)

I'd place my bets on the script by the Rush Hour guy being the best. Never made me cringe in a script yet, and has a good balance of humour and suspense.Anybody know about that version of the script? As soon as Koepp came on I knew we'd get the worst Indy script so far, just judging by his past work with the berg, which never lived up to any Indy movie. I'm betting the best lines in the sand pit scene were written by Rush Hour guy.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least Koepp's script wasn't as bad as Jeb Stuart's.

I read that bit. Awful. Granted, it's only a small portion but it looks like a fan-fic.

I was reading through the Making of Indiana Jones and was particularly fascinated with the Crystal Skull stuff. For some reason, the movie everyone thought they were making seemed a lot better than it turned out. Don't get me wrong, I liked Crystal Skull but the ideas and the pre-production material really got me excited. It "felt" like it belonged with the other three flicks.

Anyway, back to screenwriters, the book only listed those mentioned above minus M. Night (and I think one more, but I can't remember). They didn't really dish out any details, except the aliens and the fridge were George's idea and bringing Marion back was Steven's. Some of the titles were Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars, Indiana Jones and the Atomic Ants and Indiana Jones and the City of the Gods (at one point it was Phantom City of the Gods).

According to M Night S he never wrote a script.

I thought that was debunked as a rumor.

He said he was offered but declined this offer. He didn't want to manoeuvre between Spielberg, Ford and Lucas.

Are there any known inpressions from those who read Darabont's script?

As bad as that excerpt from Jeb Stuart's script is (I hope Indy's still suave enough to never resort to admit being the catch of the century), I still wanna know what happens next.

Did I not read correctly that Shyamalan submitted at least a concept, being "what makes a hero"?

The Jeb Stuart one had a wackier story, and I thought Lucas said that was his idea. The dialogue and construction itself seemed better than the end product, even though having Indy marry some nobody was a terrible idea. I also heard the cameos by all the women was Spielberg's idea, I think from SS himself.

I thought also that Darabont claimed to have the idea of bringing Marion back. I want that making of book.

Does anyone find it odd that Spielberg and Lucas wouldn't do more writing on this one, seeing that they both are writers? I'd think it would have worked out better with a Lucas/Spielberg draft and a Spielberg redraft.

Is there any info about how the script finally changed when Koepp redrafted it/what Spielberg was after? As I recall Spielberg was the only one who wanted Koepp, calling him "my guy" or something. I think he should drop him. He's only good if you want really awkward family dynamics (JP1/2, WOTW, KOTCS).

I do think he would have made a good second to last drafter, but someone else shold have been the finisher who has more of a way with storytelling and dialogue.

Does anyone find it odd that Spielberg and Lucas wouldn't do more writing on this one, seeing that they both are writers? I'd think it would have worked out better with a Lucas/Spielberg draft and a Spielberg redraft.

You mean... a script from the writers of Revenge of the Sith and A.I.? Oh... Oh dear God.

You mean... a script from the writers of Revenge of the Sith and A.I.? Oh... Oh dear God.

LoL, see your point, but I think both films had better use of dialogue than KOTCS. I really actually just wish there was a whole lot more time when it's pure cinema without the jabber jabber. Raiders had the right idea. A whole chase with nothing but music and grunts. Raiders knew when to shut the hell up and become silent cinema. Koepp never does. Spalko's speech during the mind control scene was ok, but it cut off an interesting scene where the skull could have been more powerfully personified and the theme established in the minds of viewers.

I wonder if Koepp ever writes "music swells" like some other screenplays I have seen. More like "dialogue swells"

Is there any info about how the script finally changed when Koepp redrafted it/what Spielberg was after? As I recall Spielberg was the only one who wanted Koepp, calling him "my guy" or something. I think he should drop him. He's only good if you want really awkward family dynamics (JP1/2, WOTW, KOTCS).

I do think he would have made a good second to last drafter, but someone else shold have been the finisher who has more of a way with storytelling and dialogue.

I agree with ya there. David seems to know how a movie works and has some great ideas, but his end result seems to fall short of "greatness." His finales especially.

I'd place my bets on the script by the Rush Hour guy being the best. Never made me cringe in a script yet, and has a good balance of humour and suspense.

Did you you like The Terminal?

I'd place my bets on the script by the Rush Hour guy being the best. Never made me cringe in a script yet, and has a good balance of humour and suspense.

Did you you like The Terminal?

I thought it was a good script for what it was trying to accomplish, and it was a very light entertainment.