John Williams Concert Manchester 31st May

aj_vader

John Williams Concert Manchester 31st May (Halle Orchestra at Bridgewater Hall)

is anyone from the forum going tonite?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John Williams Concert Manchester 31st May (Halle Orchestra at Bridgewater Hall)

is anyone from the forum going tonite?

I'd certainly considered it, but in the end couldn't justify to myself the cost of Virgin Trains tickets to Manc and an overnight stay. If you are going, let us know how it goes. I saw John Wilson conduct the LPO in a film music concert a few months ago and it was one of the best I have ever been to, so you could be in for a treat. I've never heard the Halle Orchestra in concert, but I know that they have a good pedigree; Bernard Herrmann conducted them a few times way back when.

just about to set off into manchester now, get some food and then see it :P

MY FIRST WILLIAMS CONCERT EVER (Even though its not really williams)

I Will review it when i get home :lol:

Someone should put "UK" in the subject line. I thought you were referring to Manchester, New Hampshire.

I went to the concert , was fantastic . It was my first time watching the Halle perform and i have to say they were first class and the music was to say the least amazing.

Highlights for me was the suite from CE3K . I would have liked to have seen the suite from Jaws but to be honest it ranks among the best concerts I have been too.

Anyone else go?

I was there. My second film music night at the Bridgewater. The Hallé are a fantastic orchestra. (Although I thought one or two of the french horns were having a bad night at times!)

Close Encounters was stunning. And I was pleased to hear so much from Catch Me If You Can. Some odd omissions though. But I guess if I'd been allowed to choose what they played we would all have been sat there for about six hours

I also think it's a bit of a shame that even though the night is dedicated to one composer (the Newman, Waxman, Herrmann and Korngold pieces aside) we only really get to hear the concert arrangements of certain themes.

But on the whole, it was fantastic. John Wilson is conducting another Williams night with the Liverpool Philharmonic in Feb. I'm going to get myself over there! Also Carl Davis is doing one of his film themes nights there in July. Lovely stuff.

The Halle did an amazing job and was simply one of the best concerts ive ever been too, i was hoping for the Imperial March though, but the Throne Room from A New Hope at the end was executed Admirably :)