Universal Studios fire

Dole

Why would scoring elements for a Universal Pictures film be in the vaults of Universal Music?

You may be thinking of the elements for the re-recorded album sessions, which DID burn up in the fire

• 2 weeks later...

It is now reported that the fire was more damaging than first reported, affecting up to 800 artists instead of “just” the initial 100.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jun/26/universal-warehouse-fire-neil-young-cher-martin-luther-king

Courtney Love's tapes were destroyed too... now THAT'S a tragedy!

A group of musicians and estates – Courtney Love’s band Hole, Steve Earle, Soundgarden, the estate of Tupac Shakur, and a former wife of Tom Petty – have already filed a lawsuit against UMG, seeking $100m in damages.

Love has criticised UMG, telling the New York Times: “No one knows for sure yet, specifically what is gone from their estate, their catalog. But for once in a horrible way people believe me about the state of the music business which I would not wish on my worst enemy. Our culture has been devastated, meanwhile UMG is online with cookie recipes and pop, as if nothing happened. It’s so horrible.”

And apparently John Williams stuff too (as may have been previously reported in this thread). Jon Burlingame says on Facebook:

Composers whose album masters appear to have been lost in the Universal vault fire, per the latest NYT story: Burt Bacharach (A&M), Elmer Bernstein (Decca), Marvin Hamlisch (A&M), Jan Hammer (MCA), Quincy Jones (A&M), Ennio Morricone (MCA), John Williams (MCA).

It would break my heart if this was some of the old, unreleased Revue/MCA/Universal TV stuff, like ALCOA PREMIERE THEATRE. :(

True, but they were just an example of the attitude.

I wonder if we'll ever get to know what, exactly, of Williams' MCA work was lost in the fire.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

True, but they were just an example of the attitude.

I wonder if we'll ever get to know what, exactly, of Williams' MCA work was lost in the fire.

I guess you could start by asking Jon Burlingame to elaborate.

I know the primary concern here are for film scores but the list of artists affected, wow. Huge losses that I can’t even begin to fathom.

There is a possibility that The Bangles lost their material in the fire.  Even though they were on Columbia, they are listed on the UMG website. 

I am trying to get a response on the matter from the NYT and one of their writers on Twitter. 

Oh, yes, the albums and singles themselves are up and safe.  It is the original masters and unreleased material that may be affected here, and, apparently, there was a lot of unreleased songs that are reportedly quite good.  Would also be nice to hear the isolated bass recordings, too.