Indiana Jones Soundtrack Reissues Announcement

Speats

Just heard about Concord's reissue plans for the original soundtracks...I'm hoping for a bit more than just straight reissues - I'd like to see them reissued as digi-packs, remastered, and with unreleased material (if any exists)...

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote Concord an email the other day and kindly explained my feelings on the matter, and I think it certainly wouldn't hurt if everyone else did the same. Mine just talked about how a single 4-disc set with straight reissues of the first three scores would be less than ideal. I complimented them on KOTCS, because really, a 77-minute new release is certainly better than we could've gotten. But I pointed out that they should, at the very least, give each disc as much music, and that a 40-minute album and a 77-minute album in the same set would be kinda silly. Like I said, letting them know we're interested certainly can't hurt.

Welcome to the forum...this is practically old news since it's been mentioned on the forum. I do have a question why in gods name would anyone would want a digipack release of the previous scores? Digipacks suck and I for one prefer a regular jeweled case.

Welcome to the forum...this is practically old news since it's been mentioned on the forum. I do have a question why in gods name would anyone would want a digipack release of the previous scores? Digipacks suck and I for one prefer a regular jeweled case.

more likely one of those 'clam shell' 4 disc jewel cases...

Digipacks suck and I for one prefer a regular jeweled case.

Ya got that right!!

Of course, if they want to release some unreleased score material on a digipack, I say have at it!! :P

Digipacks suck and I for one prefer a regular jeweled case.

Ya got that right!!

Of course, if they want to release some unreleased score material on a digipack, I say have at it!! :P

Agreed..as long as the original cover art is reproduced and we get some unreleased material I'll be happy. I wasn't a big fan of what BMG did with the Star Wars soundtracks a decade ago...I missed having the original artwork.

Jewel cases though tend to break easily though, I'd like to see something maybe more evolved - like a super jewel or something. Vinyl reissues would be awesome too..

I wrote Concord an email the other day and kindly explained my feelings on the matter, and I think it certainly wouldn't hurt if everyone else did the same. Mine just talked about how a single 4-disc set with straight reissues of the first three scores would be less than ideal. I complimented them on KOTCS, because really, a 77-minute new release is certainly better than we could've gotten.

Yeah, so did I.

indy4 - who would prefer some special packaging for these scores, other than the usual jewel case/digipack

Is there an email address for Concord?

cmonck@concordrecords.com

At least that's the lady that e-mailed Ricard about the 4 CD boxset...

I wrote Concord an email the other day and kindly explained my feelings on the matter, and I think it certainly wouldn't hurt if everyone else did the same. Mine just talked about how a single 4-disc set with straight reissues of the first three scores would be less than ideal. I complimented them on KOTCS, because really, a 77-minute new release is certainly better than we could've gotten. But I pointed out that they should, at the very least, give each disc as much music, and that a 40-minute album and a 77-minute album in the same set would be kinda silly. Like I said, letting them know we're interested certainly can't hurt.

The fact that KotCS album is 77 minutes long was hardly Condord's decision.

But sure, let's all write to them and tell them how we feel. Certainly can't hurt. ^_^

The fact that KotCS album is 77 minutes long was hardly Condord's decision.

You are mistaken.

Do you have any info saying otherwise?

Yes, do a search at FSM or here for a discussion of union fees on scores or e-mail someone like Lukas Kendall or Robert Townson at Varese.

Concord's the one paying for the music. Granted this is a big project and John Williams is a household name, he tends to get longer album releases, and who knows what deal they have with Lucasfilm for the soundtrack but it does cost money for so many minutes of music.

Yes, do a search at FSM or here for a discussion of union fees on scores or e-mail someone like Lukas Kendall or Robert Townson at Varese.

Concord's the one paying for the music. Granted this is a big project and John Williams is a household name, he tends to get longer album releases, and who knows what deal they have with Lucasfilm for the soundtrack but it does cost money for so many minutes of music.

So you're saying that just because Concord was willing to pay more, we get more music??? ^_^

I may be too skeptical, but something's not right about that...

I don't know what kind of deal they have with Lucasfilm but label can decide how much music they are willing to pay for.

That's one of the reasons Varese's scores used to run short. It cost too much to release scores over 30 minutes. They had better rates on the first 30 minutes of music.

Union fees have changed over the years so it's cheaper now.

Anyway, I'd be over the moon if they decided to release expanded let alone complete scores, but I gotta be honest I'd be pretty happy with straight reissues, as well. Nice to have all 4 scores on CDs, finally!

Maybe, if we're lucky, we might get expansive liner notes, as well.

BTW anyone who wants a digipack release should be ashamed of themselves. As I said before I prefer a jeweled case over a digipack any day. Of course box sets like LOTR and Karate Kid do not bother me but I mean a digipack like what I saw for the Indy 4 score release is just very shameful. I want to have my CD well protected in a good case not some flimsy cardboard piece of crap.

Well, the digipack still has a plastic tray, so it's half a jewel case. I just don't think the packaging is a big deal.

If the digipack gets wet or damaged then your screwed, you can't replace it. At least with a jeweled case if it gets cracked you can always replace them.

YET, there is not mention of the orchestra members, as it should.

not even the orchestra is credited.

working on my email

I have heard of your plans to re-release the Indiana Jones soundtracks and I am afraid that you will take the cheapest and most cost effective route possible ,meaning straight re-issues of the original soundtracks with no previously unreleased music but with marketing gimmicks like a nice box ,"re-mastered sound ", a poster or "exclusive" screensavers.

Sure you may get a few naive Indy fans or people that didn't have the original c.d.'s to buy them ,but that would not include me,or a vast number of film music fans that want these scores in an expanded form,especially Temple of Doom. It is a shame that such masterpieces may be condemned to rot for eternity in studio vaults because of lack of initiative or laziness.

Of the potential people who would buy such a box set, a large number are film music fans and John Williams fans ,and the previously unreleased music in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade represents the ultimate holy grail of film music ,desperately awaited for over 20 years. It would be a terrible tragedy that this set be marketed at "joe casual public" who vaguely remember they liked the "Raiders March" and might pick it up while buying their DVD copies of the film and weekly supply of Doritos . Also, including the just released Crystal Skull soundtrack in the box set seems straight out of the Lucasfilm school of marketing of treating fans like idiots and getting them to buy the same thing over and over by any means possible.

I have heard of your plans to re-release the Indiana Jones soundtracks and I am afraid that you will take the cheapest and most cost effective route possible ,meaning a straight re-issue of the original soundtracks with no previously unreleased music but with marketting gimmicks like a nice box ,"re-mastered sound " or "exclusive" screensavers. Sure you may get a few naive Indy fans or people that didn't have the original c.d.'s to buy them ,but a vast number of film music fans want these scores in an expanded form,especially Temple of Doom. It is a shame that such masterpieces may be condemned to rot for etenity in studio vaults . Of the potential people who would buy such a box set, a large number are film music fans and John Williams fans ,and the previously unreleased music in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade has represented the ultimate holy grail of film music for the last 20 years. It would be a terrible tragedy that this set be marketted at "joe casual public" who vaguely remember they liked the "Raiders March" and might pick it up while buying their Blue Ray copies of the film.

I don't think they will take this letter seriously. Politely say that you are very interested in Indiana Jones soundtracks but that you already have the original releases and you very much want to buy them again but only if additional music is included. Calling them cheap won't do any good. You are insulting them and embarrassing us (other Indy/JW fans).

I also sent an email to the store section of indianajones.com asking about the soundtracks for the first three films and where I can buy them.

I dunno,I have a feeling they need to be told in a blunt manner.

because obviously they haven't got the message yet

I dunno,I have a feeling they need to be told in a blunt manner.

because obviously they haven't got the message yet

Blunt doesn't necessarily mean rude:

"I, and many other film score fans, want expanded Indiana Jones soundtracks. Many of us already have the original releases and do not want to buy the same thing all over again."

that's why I posted it here .

i want to see how other people would approach this

surely a mix of "polite" letters and a few rude ones that really drive the point home might get their attention.

working on my email

I have heard of your plans to re-release the Indiana Jones soundtracks and I am afraid that you will take the cheapest and most cost effective route possible ,meaning straight re-issues of the original soundtracks with no previously unreleased music but with marketing gimmicks like a nice box ,"re-mastered sound " or "exclusive" screensavers.

Sure you may get a few naive Indy fans or people that didn't have the original c.d.'s to buy them ,but that would not include me,or a vast number of film music fans that want these scores in an expanded form,especially Temple of Doom. It is a shame that such masterpieces may be condemned to rot for eternity in studio vaults because of lack of initiative or laziness.

Of the potential people who would buy such a box set, a large number are film music fans and John Williams fans ,and the previously unreleased music in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade represents the ultimate holy grail of film music ,desperately awaited for over 20 years. It would be a terrible tragedy that this set be marketed at "joe casual public" who vaguely remember they liked the "Raiders March" and might pick it up while buying their DVD copies of the film and weekly supply of Doritos

Well put. I also would rather see expanded soundtracks than a gimmicky boxed set in lieu of unreleased material. Temple of Doom is a perfect example as the original CD issue was put out on Polydor over 20 years ago and hasn't been available since.

You catch more flies with honey, believe me. They will not take your letter seriously if you say stuff like "joe public" and "holy grail".

They will not take your letter seriously if you say stuff like "joe public"

I could say "Star Wars nerd collector who bought every paint variation of the same action figure" .That is the other sub group Lucasfilm is aiming at to buy the same thing over and over again.

I could say "Star Wars nerd collector who bought every paint variation of the same action figure" .That is the other sub group Lucasfilm is aiming at to buy the same thing over and over again.

I call that aggressive negotiations.

I would re-type that letter and make it sound like a 40 year old man wrote it. Not some 18-21 bitter fanboy.

kingmark.. your mail sounds as if the concord music group is just a bunch of evil plotters :P

I would give it a second thought before writing it to them... ;)

and how is that Indy Cpmplete Score Petitition going? why not send this too?

But that 's what their doing ,right?

HA! Screw unreleased music, lets throw in special TRADING CARDS! BUY MULTIPLE SETS TO COLLECT THEM ALL!

I have heard of your plans to re-release the Indiana Jones soundtracks and I would be terribly disappointed if they turn out to be only straight re-issues of the old soundtracks with no previously unreleased music. Of the potential people who would buy such a box set, a large number are film music fans and John Williams fans ,and the previously unreleased music in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade represents the ultimate in film music ,desperately awaited for more than 20 years by fans all over the world. It is a shame that such masterpieces may be condemned to deteriorate forever in studio vaults and it would be a lost opportunity that this set was simply marketed at the casual listener and contain no previously unreleased material.

Dear Concord Music Group,

I've heard the soundtracks to Raiders Of The Lost Ark and its sequels Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom and The Last Crusade are to be re-released by your record label this Fall. However as I understand it, they will be straight re-issues of the previous album releases, packed along with the Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull album. This is disheartening to say the least. As an avid listener of John Williams' music, I already own the soundtrack albums that are apparently due for re-release.

The scores for The Last Crusade and Temple Of Doom are criminally incomplete on CD, and I have anxiously awaited an extended release. I'm grateful your label gave us a CD of the latest Indiana Jones score with a nearly 80 minute running time. However, I can't help but feel that if you're to re-release the albums for the previous three films along with the latest CD in some kind of set (as is rumored), you'll be alienating fans. The Crystal Skull soundtrack is in print and certainly many fans new and old will have purchased it by the time it's repacked in a deluxe set with the other scores.

I think I speak for many fans when I say that I'd simply prefer expanded releases of the first three Indiana Jones scores. They are long overdue. But I would honestly buy any kind of set if it included unreleased music from the first three scores. Temple Of Doom's current album only runs for around 40 minutes! Surely, additional music could be presented. It seems like these will never see the light of day.