New Varese CD Club start shipping June 30th

Morlock

Wait, since I'm too lazy to go back and look, I'll rely on you helpful fellows to pots a comment for me to read when I return to these boards in a bit. Is it released at 12 oclock US EST? Or some crazy timezone that I don't care about?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've always had their new releases done at midnight if I'm not mistaken. I'll probably stay up for it to see what they are. I want to see if they will be anything I want.

Aaannnddd ... Here they are! :D

1. Gangs of New York/The Journey of Natty Gann/The Scarlet Letter - Elmer Bernstein (4 CDs, 2500 copies)

2. Iron Eagle - Basil Poledouris (3000 copies)

3. My Cousin Rachel - Franz Waxman (1500 copies)

4. The Man Who Loved Women - Henry Mancini (2000 copies)

5. In a Shallow Grave - Jonathan Sheffer (1000 copies)

Ordered No. 2 and No. 5. :D ^_^

Ordered the Bernstein box, though I may order the Waxman score too, I'll have to mull that one over. I'm REALLY excited about the Bernstein, Gangs of New York sounds excellent (and I love the dies irae quote in one of the samples)!

A very nice batch, with a great one-two finale, ending on a sumptuous set!

Three unused Bernstein scores at once, and one of them from the Disney vaults!

Magnificent!

I shall repeat my initial reaction to seeing Gangs of New York being released: SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP!!!!

Ordered. So ordered. The others don't particularly interest me at the moment, so I picked up a couple of others I'd been putting off- The War of the Roses/The Sandlot and Pleasantville.

Holy crap is right!

I ordered the Bernstein box right away. Wow, what an impressive release. I also picked up Iron Eagles and My Cousin Rachel.

And I decided to add Lost, Season 3 to my order since no frikkin music store around here wants to stock it.

Me poor, poor wallet.

Is that from Colloseum? Since from Varese, it's costing me about $70-75 including shipping. No reason it should cost you any more than that, you're closer. :D

The Bernstein box set is certainly interesting. I have nothing by him though so it might be good place to start. I don't know yet.

He's a solid composer and was a nice guy when I got a chance to talk to him (and shake hands with him lefty-to-lefty). Try The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Age of Innocence. If you look in the correct spots on the 'net, I'm sure you can find samples (or the whole albums). In the early 80's he seemed relegated to comedies-- Stripes, Trading Places, and Ghostbusters, among others.

Is that from Colloseum? Since from Varese, it's costing me about $70-75 including shipping. No reason it should cost you any more than that, you're closer. :D

For the UK it's cheaper from Colosseum (for once). £47.50 for the CD + £7 postage = £54.50. Varese would be £45 (approx.) for the CDs including postage, but also an international transaction fee and the dreaded import duty (£9 + 20% of the value) brings it to about £63.

The Bernstein one interests me, though I've never heard any of them. I like Bernstein, but without knowing anything about the scores, I'm inclined to think they're not among his better ones.

Rejected scores can be either here or there. I do know that Gangs of New York is a fantastic canvas for a composer.

For the UK it's cheaper from Colosseum (for once). £47.50 for the CD + £7 postage = £54.50. Varese would be £45 (approx.) for the CDs including postage, but also an international transaction fee and the dreaded import duty (£9 + 20% of the value) brings it to about £63.

Try Screenarchives and don't worry about fees. (At least here in Austria, they're not an issue with SAE)

I got Iron Eagle and In a Shallow Grave. I plan to get the Bernstein Box next week as long as it's still available. Then again, this isn't an Intrada release so it should last. (Knocks on quasi-wood)

The Bernstein one interests me, though I've never heard any of them. I like Bernstein, but without knowing anything about the scores, I'm inclined to think they're not among his better ones.

That's not always the case, the score could be good but not what the director/producer wants or if the film tests poorly and has to be re-cut the score will get tossed, no matter the quality.

That's not always the case, the score could be good but not what the director/producer wants or if the film tests poorly and has to be re-cut the score will get tossed, no matter the quality.

Oh, it was a rejected score! Now I'm interested!

Is it just me, or do the GoNY samples sound Goldsmithian? Particularly the 'Battle' Track. That main motif in all the tracks also sounds like something Goldsmith would do. i'm not complaining, I love the sound of the samples. But that struck me.

This Bernstein stuff sounds pretty damn good, though I can't imagine the Gangs of New York material working for the film. The Journey of Natty Gann stuff sounds wonderful. And if The Scarlet Letter wasn't a rejected score, I'd say that Nobuo Uematasu had taken a cue or two from it.

Is it just me, or do the GoNY samples sound Goldsmithian? Particularly the 'Battle' Track.

That track more sounds like a Goldsmith/Horner/Goldenthal mix. That motif does sound a bit like Mulan though.

I didn't like the Dies Irae... but other than that, I suddenly want this release...

Tim Curry?

Maybe Varese will release a remastered/expanded score to Clue!

I love that score! Was there ever a release in the first place? If you have any version I would love to trade for it.

I really gotta learn how to use those darn smilies.

As far as I know, there wasn't a soundtrack released. After a quick search, there doesn't seem to be a boot on the 'net and, according to IMDB.com, the movie was released in mono, so a DVD rip won't result in much. Any other way I can rain on your parade? (Insert the shrugging smilie here.)

I'd get the Bernstein set but chances are I wouldn't listen to it that much maybe a few times. I don't want to spend $60 on a set that I would play only a few times. I would rather spend $60 and get me another pair of Sony MDR-V600 headphones that I really need. I'm tired of listening/editing music with headphones that hurt my ears after a while and don't have that great of sound.

To each his own. For me, everything about the release is perfect. Composer I love. Film I love. Film provides excellent canvas for a great score. This may seem like a corny way of looking at it, but it's like a score to a favorite of mine that I just haven't heard yet. This kind of situation doesn't happen often.

Ordered the Bernstein set and the Poledouris. I hope the Bernstein scores will be worth the price tag for me personally. While I like most of the Bernstein stuff I have, I play little of it regularly. Overall, I still categorise him as a "melody composer" - meaning he writes great themes, but once I get used to the melodies, much of his writing doesn't grab me that much anymore. But then, I still am no Bernstein expert. And I certainly have to exclude Hallelujah Trail from this categorisation, that's a near-perfect score throughout. Shame it never got a complete release.

Ordered the Bernstein set and the Poledouris. I hope the Bernstein scores will be worth the price tag for me personally. While I like most of the Bernstein stuff I have, I play little of it regularly. Overall, I still categorise him as a "melody composer" - meaning he writes great themes, but once I get used to the melodies, much of his writing doesn't grab me that much anymore. But then, I still am no Bernstein expert. And I certainly have to exclude Hallelujah Trail from this categorisation, that's a near-perfect score throughout. Shame it never got a complete release.

That's the way I look at it. He writes some great stuff that is really entertaining at first, but once you're not "in the mood" for it it just doesn't strike you.

The sad thing is it will never see a complete release since the tapes are damaged beyond repair.

Yes. :P A full re-recording could be done; it'd be hard to produce a decent performance, what with vocals and all, but Sedares & Co. did a terrific job on the overture.

OH yes, I was surprised to discover it when listening to the re-recording of the Magnificent Seven. It sounded brilliant indeed.

Too bad Gangs of New York is not sold seperately, otherwise I'd get it. Any opions on the Poledouris release?

Let's not sell the other two scores short, Morlock. I can't wait to hear all three.

Oh, neither can I. But Gangs has a special place for me.

The Bernstein box looks really cool, but I'm not willing to splurge 60 bucks on it right now (yes, it's three scores, four CDs etc. etc. - it's still 60 bucks plus shipping).

That's why I head stright for the computer when I wake up on the morning of club releases. I'm too groggy to rationalize my spending. I just buy it.

:(

The Bernstein box looks really cool, but I'm not willing to splurge 60 bucks on it right now (yes, it's three scores, four CDs etc. etc. - it's still 60 bucks plus shipping).

If you take into account the weak dollar at $1.55 to €1, it's still much cheaper than ordering it from the German site.

Too bad Gangs of New York is not sold seperately, otherwise I'd get it. Any opions on the Poledouris release?

The clips sounded fun. And it's Poledouris. I've decided to generally buy fun Poledouris, just to be on the safe side. :(

(Just like, after Baby, I decided to generally buy new Goldsmith releases as long as I find them at least mildly interesting)

(Just like, after Baby, I decided to generally buy new Goldsmith releases as long as I find them at least mildly interesting)

That was a good decision considering how fast it sold out.

I look at it this way, if I snatch up a limited edition that will sell out real quick and I'm not sure about it I know I can turn around and sell it again and maybe make more than what I paid if I end up not liking the score..