Can YOU hear Vader's Theme in "The Chase Through Corusc

Can YOU hear Vader's Theme in "The Chase Through Coruscant"?  

29 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes.
    • No.

Can YOU hear a heroic presentation of Vader's Theme in the chaos of "The Chase Through Coruscant"?

I can! :)

If nobody else can, I will show you...

-Chris, Who thinks that "Occasional Poster" term is insulting... :|

Message Board Elder should be better... :baaa:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm....possible a very muted version of it, not sure if it's just a coincidence or that it was intentional.

Could also be Nixon's Theme, have you considered that?

Stefancos- who wonders if anyone heard The Emperor's theme in Yoda and the Younglings. ;)

I believe I know what you're talking about. I think the passage is a heavily distorted version of it. Might be a bit of a stretch.

Emperor's theme in Yoda and the Younglings?!? It's not the choral part is it? I'm very intrigued.

I heard the Emperor's/Darkside theme in the office scene with Palpatine and Anakin played of horns. I thought I had found something until I discovered Takis had already pointed this out!

I haven't noticed Vaders theme in there........

Where is it Crusher?

-Jason

:music: The Lost World (complete)

WHAT????????? Where? I've been listening to it the whole time.. even on my iPod at the gym!!!!

I think Crusher might be talking about 6:48 on Track 3. Could you correct me if I'm wrong Crusher? As for the Emp's Theme, I can't find it! Enlighten me Stefan!

NP: AOTC

I think Steef was joking, everbody. If you'll notice the large grin at the end of the sentence...

Stefancos- who wonders if anyone heard The Emperor's theme in Yoda and the Younglings. :thumbup:

Justin -Who rests his case. ;)

Of course Stefan is joking :thumbup:

It's a old inside joke since there was this huge debate a while back wether Augie's Municipal Band in TPM was really the Emperor's theme played fast.

k.m.

I haven't listened to it enough times to even figure out what themes may or may not be in there. Chris needs to add an "I have no clue" option to the poll. :music:

-Jason

Wait, John Williams SAID that Augie's was a warped version of the Emperor's Theme????????? Where???????

I thought the music editor (or somebody like that) stated that it WASN'T???

As for Coruscant Chase - when are you going to share with us Chris?

-Jason

:music: The Chase Through Coruscant

Wait, John Williams SAID that Augie's was a warped version of the Emperor's Theme?????????  Where???????

As far as I know, the official statement is that it is NOT the Emperor's theme. Which doesn't change the fact that it is.

Marian - who thinks this was a very clever idea and wonders why anyone would deny it.

John Williams has never said that Augie's Band is a sped up version of The Emperor's theme....shame on you, Harry. :angry:  

Stefancos- who knows how Roald feels about this whole affair. :)

That is not my quote. I don't know that, but someone else on the other board said that, so don't get huffy with me.

~Harry

An earlier post stated that the poster heard Nixon's Theme in the Chase Through Coruscant. If he was insinuating that Nixon was fascist, or that he and Vader are similar, he is badly mistaken.

~Conor - who doesn't support Nixon's actions in the Watergate scandal, but respects him because he resigned, unlike other presidents with scandals.

P.S. If I am wrong with the assumption that this poster was implying anything, then feel free to tell me. It would make sense if the two pieces sounded similar because they are both Williams (obvously).

No, I don't think it was a riff on Nixon (I agree with you RomanticStrings that he had class to resign, but we should probably stay away from the subject for fear of Ricard). A lot of people think that the main theme to Nixon sounds like Darth Vader's theme. Other than both being dark and "marchy" I can't hear the similarities. Some people say that both themes are the SAME too!

NP: Siegfried: Act II

But...did anyone else hear a twisted version of Shmi's theme in the scene with Anakin & Palpatine (not on the CD)?

Yes, I think I did! Wish I could watch it again to confirm.

The way I understand the Nixon theme is this: Oliver Stone wanted part of the Nixon theme to sound like Darth Vader's theme because Nixon, like Vader, was evil at times.

~Harry

It's silly, really only 3 notes sound like the imperial march, and those 3 notes are the same repeated note!

First of all: Augie's can't be a speeded version of Empie's theme, it's the wrong interval already between the first and second note...

And about this Chase through Corsucant thing: I'm gonna need a score, I can't hear it, maybe it says in a score?

I just listened again, there's this repeated note thing in the brass but it's really nothing but repeated notes.....

Hey, speaking of Nixon, I don't own the soundtrack, but would it be a good investment?

I myself just picked this up about two or three weeks ago. I really enjoy it. I think theres about 45-50 minutes of music and it's all excellent. Plus, if you can get the cdrom to work (it crashes some people's computers, but mine ran it fine) it has some great interviews with Stone and Williams, plus a trailer.

NP: Nixon (not by coincidence)

Okay... I kept you waiting long enough.

I occured to me when I would hum it to myself.

Compare:

Track 3. (4:11-4:15)

-to-

Track 11. (3:51-4:01)

It is possibly a coincidence, but I strongly feel that there is a connection. Anakin is being heroic and a bit reckless in the scenario. He ISN'T yet Vader, but perhaps Williams was trying to invoke a similar feel... a heroic and inverted version of Vader's theme in a way, while track 11 has it turning evil... morphing slowly and perversely INTO Vaders theme. In fact, I expected more of this before we had the score, and this is what I wanted... little as it may be.

And you guys that study the notes to find a connection... you are sometimes missing the point by studying the forest from the trees. Sometimes it goes by feel alone, the overview, if you will... not just the note by note comparison. You coudl get lost in the details.

Take for instance the debate over Augie's March. It WAS pretty much confirmed as a happy and perverse take on Palpatine's Theme, wasn't it? I thought that someone posted in the past said that Williams met with his class and told them that the goal was to make it seem like a triumphant and happy variation ON The Emperor's Theme without it actually BEING The Emperor's Theme. And it worked, IMO.

And you guys that study the notes to find a connection... you are sometimes missing the point by studying the forest from the trees. Sometimes it goes by feel alone, the overview, if you will... not just the note by note comparison. You coudl get lost in the details.

Well said.

Hey!

Yes, I actually heard th Imperial March ever-so-slightly in track 3 the very first time I listened to it. I heard it in the triplet rhythems played between 2:56 and 3:13 .......can anyone else hear it in there?

-Steve (My first *new* post!)

• 3 months later...

I wasn't around here when this question was asked, and yesterday I tried to see the trees, and not the forest.

Saxman (aka Steve), that's really odd that you hear the Imperial March in those repeating rhythms at 2:56-3:13. I think that same pattern extends all the way to 3:52 and then picks up again at 4:05 and reappears on strings at 5:04, then makes two more runs at 6:10-6:20 and 8:00-8:08. I can understand what you hear; in terms of rhythm it's almost too fast to hear the triplet, but if those are indeed the same notes, it's a very interesting use, and it would be a fascinating choice if it were indeed true.

As for Chris, I think you might be right as well, as your thematic use at 4:11-4:15 extends from Steve's observation.

I'm still inclined to say it's a little bit of a reach, but I think I need to calm the voices in my head and hear it again.

Jeff -- who has now risen "Chase Through Coruscant" to a higher level

I voted no because I haven't listened to Attack of the Clones since May.

It is now an official dust collector.

Joe, who can't wait for Ep. III to get here. That way Lucas will have no more excuses to get us dvd's on the real SW trilogy.

Hey thanks for the feedback Jeff......wow, I posted that awhile back! Yes, I've been listening to various reditions of the Imperial March for about 20 years now and definitely identify that section from 2:56-3:13 with that theme whenever I hear it....I don't think it's the exact same rhythem, but it at least uses many similar notes and similar chords. The link to the Imperial March is also strengthened by what is happening onscreen at this point......this is right after Anakin saved Obi-Wan from falling to his death, and they are talking. Anakin is showing his cockiness as he mouths off about needing to find the right speeder, and then claiming that he rivals Master Yoda as a swordsman.....I very much believe Williams wrote this segment of music similar to the Imperial March for symbolic reasons! Let me know if I'm crazy :angry:

-Steve

Here's another question... can anyone hear Vader's Theme (aka The Imperial March) in the track Confrontation with Count Dooku? If not, then listen from 2:58 to 3:36. It's tough to make it out but on continuous spins of the CD I could hear it!!! LOL

Sorry guys... I couldn't resist. This was my best attempt at humour :roll:

-Erik-