Darabont's script leaked?

I cant believe you want the jungle swinging with whip. I'm sure you would have complained about impossibility of doing that and the resemblance to videogame action.

I prefer the concept of Indy doing something cool with the whip as opposed to Mutt being "Son of Tarzan".

And the ants do not plop out nowhere, they plop out of their hive. And as i said, similar ants exist, but of course these are bullied up for the movie.

I didn't mean that. Of course they came out of a hive. I meant in terms of the story, there's no purpose for them, that they come out of nowhere. The Darabont script establishes that there are creatures of various sizes while in this one they just show up.

The ants getting out of the hives is much more feasible and thousands of snakes hiding from the heat in the desert, millions of insects of different species in and underground cave and a lot of rats in a catacomb filled with petroleum.

Prequel response! Put down something that no one ever complained about in a previous film to try and make the newer one appear to be valid. If you really want to get technical, the other critters were all protecting something! The snakes, the ark. The bugs, the entrance to the Temple of Doom. The rats, the second marker. So with that in mind, why were the ants in this script? Perhaps they should have been in the script after they discover the temple. But they're not (in either script), but in the case of the Darabont script, you're prepared for them, so in that case they don't feel tacked onto the story for the sole purpose of having a creepy-crawly moment.

Neil

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prequel response! Put down something that no one ever complained about in a previous film to try and make the newer one appear to be valid. If you really want to get technical, the other critters were all protecting something! The snakes, the ark. The bugs, the entrance to the Temple of Doom. The rats, the second marker. So with that in mind, why were the ants in this script? Perhaps they should have been in the script after they discover the temple. But they're not (in either script), but in the case of the Darabont script, you're prepared for them, so in that case they don't feel tacked onto the story for the sole purpose of having a creepy-crawly moment.

And your is the anti-prequel response, why complain about something that you didn't on the originals?

Protecting something?

OK for the snakes, as its some kind of trap. (but then it renders the unfeasible explanation of snakes looking for shelter. It seems the complete population Egypt's snakes takes cover on the well of the souls...)

The bugs are there on their own (not some kind of trap). they are there just for the ugh factor.

And the rats are there on their own too. It was a sewer connected passage.

If you want a purpose for the ants, its to drive the main characters to the river.

If you want a purpose for the ants, its to drive the main characters to the river.

All the ants do is climb out of a hole and eventually wind back in a hole. They're so pointless. In the Darabont draft they even have more to do than that. They provide an actual menace.

Neil

We're all forgetting the other missed creepy crawly opportunity: the scorpions. The kid brushes his arm against the wall, and a few scorpions crawl into his jacket.

We think he's going to get bit, maybe he'll get sick and pass out, or even die, forcing Indy to carry him out of there as the big hero. Maybe entire legions of scorpions will keep Indy away from finding the skull...

Nothing. No suspense, nothing. All the scorpions do is expose Mutt as a fibber and someone who can't handle a creepy crawly. After another scene passes, they're completely forgotten. Missed opportunity to do anything with them.

The big rubber snake to pull Indy out of the sandtrap doesn't really count as a creepy crawly scene. Was Marion was so traumatized by the snakes in the Well of the Souls that her shrink helped her forget all about them and Indy's deathly fear? Lame.

The ants are only quasi-pointless. They do get rid of two Russian soldiers, who Indy was otherwise unable to dispense on his own since he was too busy doing nothing else.

Ants also establish the fact that besides the ability to hypnotize one person and make another go insane, the crystal skull has power over weak minded beings, like ants and the natives who guard the pyramid. That's it.

There's no purpose in the last act of KotCS.

I kept waiting for the camera to follow the spaceship up into the sky as it soared away, like in ET or Close Encounters. That would've been slightly cool. Maybe even watch the spaceship get teeny tiny or dissolve as it faded into the space between spaces. Nope, they thought it would be more interesting to watch a thousand rocks hover in the sky and then fall to the ground. Totally unnecessary special effects.

I chalk it up to Lucas' experience in making the three prequels, and seeing how much money he can make having totally unnecessary special effects tell the story for him.

Hmmm...mebbe I could've put this post into the one before. Oopsie.

We think he's going to get bit, maybe he'll get sick and pass out, or even die, forcing Indy to carry him out of there as the big hero. Maybe entire legions of scorpions will keep Indy away from finding the skull...

Nothing. No suspense, nothing. All the scorpions do is expose Mutt as a fibber and someone who can't handle a creepy crawly. After another scene passes, they're completely forgotten. Missed opportunity to do anything with them.

As others have noticed and discussed elsewhere, scorpions don't bite, they sting.

But I won't blame you for this mistake since they actually discuss scorpion bites in the movie. :rolleyes:

Neil

It stinks. Just as I suspected all along. The man already wrote Young Indy episodes and it not like those are hailed as equal to the movies. Now I really want to see the script by Jeff Nathanson, which I always suspected was the best one. Koepps was actually better than this one. I'm amazed this one was actually MORE talky. I didn't think it was possible.

Ants also establish the fact that besides the ability to hypnotize one person and make another go insane, the crystal skull has power over weak minded beings, like ants and the natives who guard the pyramid. That's it.

That's really funny that you're attempting to rationalize the plot device's powers. I mean, the crystal skull's powers.

As others have noticed and discussed elsewhere, scorpions don't bite, they sting.

But I won't blame you for this mistake since they actually discuss scorpion bites in the movie.

Yes, well, that tells you how much I remember after seeing it only once. Thank you for forgiving my blunder as I forgot basic arachnid anatomy. :rolleyes:

The crystal Jedi mind trick?

Yes, I was going to say that the crystal skull can have an impact on the weak minded. Even those militant ants acted of a single hive mind.

I'm really just grabbing for straws here, guys. Weak plot devices get rationalized exactly that way, weakly.

I think the script would have worked well. if they did back in the mid-Nineties and both Harrison Ford and Karen Allen were ten or twelve years younger. I just can't see them acting the way do in the script at their age.

The action is also better in the Darabont script. They both have rocket sleds, but Darabont has them fighting on it. That's exciting.

Not to mention ridiculous and defying Newton's laws of physics.

I haven't even come to terms with Indy being swallowed whole by a giant snake, but I do like how it ties into Indy's fear of snakes, which is done far better in this than what turned up in KOCS.

In Darabont's script, Indy is supposed to have gotten over his fear of snakes years before which is retarded. I love that part of Indy's character. I like that he's this mostly brave guy with this one paralyzing fear.

Yeah, the bi-plane sequence reads exciting on the page but it would have to have been done mostly with bluescreen and CG, which is what people were complaining about in the finished movie!

In Darabont's script, Indy is supposed to have gotten over his fear of snakes years before which is retarded. I love that part of Indy's character. I like that he's this mostly brave guy with this one paralyzing fear.

Did you notice though that after that experience with the giant snake he got his fear of snakes back? That's really funny and well handled.

Neil

Did you notice though that after that experience with the giant snake he got his fear of snakes back? That's really funny and well handled.

Neil

It's lame inly lost his fear. Its like he didnt wear his fedora or whip anymore.

BTW there is no 'THE wharehouse' in the Darabont script. Just a generic warehouse. He never describes it as the Raiders' one. So many (fanboy) references to other movies...but not this cool one.

And people complained about the pre-adventure scene in KOTCS not being a story on its own with its own artifact and so. Darabont's is a case or Plutonium, where at least in KOTCS it has a relation to the main mcguffin of the movie. I rather have the Finished version.

The action is also better in the Darabont script. They both have rocket sleds, but Darabont has them fighting on it. That's exciting.

Not to mention ridiculous and defying Newton's laws of physics.

Well in Skull neither Indy nor Dovchenko actually had any seatbelts on and yet they did were not thrown off the sled despite going through the massive deceleration at the end. :P

People..............I know it's been said before, and we're all sick of hearing it but.....it's a movie.

The funny thing is, its only said about bad movies. So, I agree: Raiders is great. KotCS is only a movie.

He does describe the warehouse as familiar. It's kind of implied.

Mmm Not?

'INT. HANGAR - NIGHT

Indy looms from the shadows wearing MP khakis and helmet. The hangar is a huge cavern filled with....well, everything. It's a maze of gantries, catwalks, experimental arcana, machinery and mountains of crates marked "Top Secret" '

The only thing in common with the Wharehouse (so much an indy fan and does not call it by its known name??) is the top secret crates.

Yet he does not describe the passageways ordering of the crates (mountains could even imply piramidal form), and neither the lamps of the ceiling. In raiders there are no gantries, no catwalks, or machinery. I dont know what experimental arcana is.

And he certainly does not write the word ' familiar' (he does it for the raiders' Idol)

My mistake then.

Still, it's kind of implied. Gigantic warehouse. Lots of crates. Indiana Jones. I'm pretty sure it's obvious enough that he never had to explicitly go "EVERYONE, IT'S THE SAME AS THE END OF RAIDERS!!! LOOK HOW CLEVER I AM!!!!"

The fact he doesn't describe the setting in in-depth detail means nothing at all. It's a screenplay, not a story board. Why must he describe the lamps? Why must he describe the ordering of the freaking boxes? Everyone who needs to read the script is going to know what the room looks like anyway.

My mistake then.

Still, it's kind of implied. Gigantic warehouse. Lots of crates. Indiana Jones. I'm pretty sure it's obvious enough that he never had to explicitly go "EVERYONE, IT'S THE SAME AS THE END OF RAIDERS!!! LOOK HOW CLEVER I AM!!!!"

The fact he doesn't describe the setting in in-depth detail means nothing at all. It's a screenplay, not a story board. Why must he describe the lamps? Why must he describe the ordering of the freaking boxes? Everyone who needs to read the script is going to know what the room looks like anyway.

HANGAR. Huge CAVERN.

Never uses word wharehouse. It you take it literally, it could even be a secret hangar inside a mountain or underground.

Why would he describe the lamps or the ordering of the boxes? He actually describes the ordering of the boxes, and seem not to match the raiders one. And he does not mention the lamps that are seen in raiders, and he mentions catwalks and gantries that are not seen in raiders. There could be those, but why describe, invent things that werent there and not describe things that were there?

And as I said he is very explicit-blunt in his other hommages-cameos of previous material.

And there is not a sigle hint or cameo of the Ark.

I believe that using the same wharehouse was not in his mind.

*BZZZT* Wrong.

If you note the "story" credit, it's by Lucas. So, firstly, if by some bizarre reason the entire sequence is not based in the warehouse (and I refuse to refer to it as "wharehouse" because the term means nothing to me, I've never heard it before), that's Lucas' fault as he would have placed the beginning of his story there. Darabont only wrote the script. Secondly, the mere mention of the crates marked "Top Secret" are enough to deduce that it's supposed to be the same kind of environment, one similar to the end of Raiders if not the very same.

You seem to be fishing for reasons to discredit Darabont. This particular point is not a valid one, no matter how you put it.

OK not darabont's fault, then thank god lucas made up his mind and decided to use the same wharehouse as in raiders.

Still IMHO, that makes the finished script version better than darabonts for this scenes. Not everything in darabont's is superior as some want us to believe.

You seem to be fishing for reasons to discredit Darabont.

That is very funny.

The poor Koepp script's butchered remains are rooting for weeks now.

I mean, if Koepps Script was a lake, it would be a dead lake now with all the fishing there.

Who cares what warehouse it was in?

Judging on audience reactions to both showings I went to it appears I was the only one who even noticed the ark in the crate.

It drew no response at all.

Judging on audience reactions to both showings I went to it appears I was the only one who even noticed the ark in the crate.

Having seen the film five times now (probably one too much)... my expierences were exactly the opposite.

Karol

Showing the Ark ruins the mystery of the end of Raiders. It's stored somewhere in this big giant warehouse and it could be anywhere. It's an awesome ending (and an awesome matte painting).

10 minutes into KOCS and we're shown it's in Area 51 in New Mexico.

I'll be forgetting about KOCS more and more and eventually, once again, the Ark will be stored in some big nameless anonymous warehouse.

Neil

Showing the Ark ruins the mystery of the end of Raiders. It's stored somewhere in this big giant warehouse and it could be anywhere. It's an awesome ending (and an awesome matte painting).

I'll be forgetting about KOCS more and more and eventually, once again, the Ark will be stored in some big nameless anonymous warehouse.

Neil

With you 100% --- IMO, this Darabont script is the REAL Indy 4 story and the movie imagined in my head as I read it is the payoff after all these years. At least some parts coincide w/ KOTCS, so I have some real footage to help my imagination a little.

Having seen the film five times now (probably one too much)... my expierences were exactly the opposite.

Karol

I've been to three. And twice there was a reaction, once there was not. And during one of the screenings I overheard a teenage girl a few chairs away from me calling Oxley's buffoon-ish personality "sooo cute!!!" :lol:

Neil

Agree 100%! Somebody should say this at last!!!

They ruined the fantastic ending of Raiders with this Warehouse scene. Its another evidence that Spielberg and Lucas arn't as creatively smart now as they were in 80-th.

I have strong imression that KOCS script and direction was much more fanboyish than Darabon't script.

You seem to be fishing for reasons to discredit Koepp.

Really. Now it ruins Raiders. :P

Please think. Remember its is never called Area 51. The hangar number is 51

Its an hommage to Hangar 18 AND Area 51.

Especially fitting, since Area 51 was supposedly built in the 50's not before 1936.

IT RUINS ANYTHING

I find it cracking that i was just arguing about the wharehouse in Darabonts script, and i was told that it was implyied it was the same warehouse as raiders. I seem to give some points proofing it possibly not being the Raiders warehouse, and then of course the point of view changes, and now KOTCS wharehouse ruins Raiders while darabont's doesnt?

'I'm making this up as I go' comes to mind.

New Mexico... What about Nevada? :P

I find it cracking that i was just arguing about the wharehouse in Darabonts script, and i was told that it was implyied it was the same warehouse as raiders. I seem to give some points proofing it possibly not being the Raiders warehouse, and then of course the point of view changes, and now KOTCS wharehouse ruins Raiders while darabont's doesnt?

'I'm making this up as I go' comes to mind.

Whose point of view changes? The people saying KotCS ruins the mystery of the Ark are not the people saying Darabont's script implies the Ark warehouse.

The ending of Raiders hasn't been ruined for me in the least. The first film is literally untouchable that way.

I agree. This whole notion comes across to me as just a silly effort to discredit KOTCS the same way the 'Ridiculous Scenes of Indiana Jones' thread tries to do the opposite.

The ending of Raiders hasn't been ruined for me in the least. The first film is literally untouchable that way.

I agree. This whole notion comes across to me as just a silly effort to discredit KOTCS the same way the 'Ridiculous Scenes of Indiana Jones' thread tries to do the opposite.

Can I join the happily agreeing party?

This whole notion comes across to me as just a silly effort to discredit KOTCS the same way the 'Ridiculous Scenes of Indiana Jones' thread tries to do the opposite.

KOTCS does enough on it's own to discredit itself without our help.

I wouldn't worry about Raiders suffering any bad effects from KOTCS, after all the legacy of Jaws didn't suffer from 3-D or Revenge.

New Mexico... What about Nevada? :)

Thanks for that! Further proof that I'm forgetting more and more of this movie.

Neil

That's why you gotta go see it again! I've really warmed up to it. And the fact that you like this Darabont script is well... it just seems like a "the grass is always greener on the other side" kinda thing. Go buy a Mutt toy, relax and enjoy the new film.

New Mexico... What about Nevada? :)

Thanks for that! Further proof that I'm forgetting more and more of this movie.

Neil

But then, Area 51 is not KOTCS exclusive-invention.

You are getting old, and forgetting things :)

:D It seems, that Darabont does not know about biology at all

A dragonfly the 'size of a B-17'?

Even prehistoric ones werent that big. Anyway our current atmosphere cannot sustain big insects as the prehistoric ones. Same goes for the ants.

Hummingbirds the size of a hawk? Hummingbirds as they are, spent a lot of energy and and have to eat alot to sustain their accelerated wing flap. They are tiny for a reason.

What's the point of having a swarm of venomous frongs sprout from the physic mouth? The very script states that one touch is enough to kill.

The jungle chase is basically inexistent. And come on, KOTCS has an amphi-vehicle, but in here, they travel in the river and waterfalls in a crashed truck and it doesnt sink?

Damn liers, you said 'at least indy is doing the swinging' but you didnt mention oxley also was, a man of Henry Jones Sr. age. And Mutt's is unvelievable??? You clearly omit things on purpose.

So indy survives two nuclear blasts...

The bridal scene is way cheesier

My verdict is that you can rip any script appart, if you are in the mood to do it.

So what's more important, biologically accurate animals or a good story?

Two words can sum that up nicely: King Kong.

Merian C. Cooper knew how to write a good yarn without worrying about what was biologically possible.

I saw KotCS again today (well, it was either that or Hulk). The unbelievable stunts didn't stand out to me as much and I mostly didn't mind them. I can't say the same of the plot and dialogue, however. Mac, as he rides in a car at breakneck speed along the side of a cliff: "This is dangerous!" No kidding.

Mac, as he rides in a car at breakneck speed along the side of a cliff: "This is dangerous!" No kidding.

Doesn't he say that because he's surprised the Russian lady would kill him when he's still her spy? I thought he expected to be protected by the Russians. How about" "Mutt disengage" coming out of Marion's mouth. Was that classic Koepp Los Angeles therapist psychobabble or some fencing term? It reminded me of "I'm safe in my space" (WOTW) "He left us! - But that's NOT what I'm going to do." JP or virtually anything spoken by redhead freckle porno movie lady in Lost World. I wonder if Koepp thinks such talk rolls off the tongue because he spends too much time on the therapist couch like most rich L.A. people.

I actually liked that line. It was fun to have in the middle of the already-amusing swordfight.

Yes, I laughed at the swordfight when I first saw it. Because it was funny, not because it was pathetic. Even the groin jokes made me laugh.