• Lady in the Water
    • The Happening

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Unbreakable

2) The Sixth Sense

3) Signs (would have been higher if it wasn't for the ending)

4) The Village

5) Lady in the Water

I haven't seen The Happening, but I presume it would at the very bottom of the list.

1. Sighs

2. The Spidey-Sense

3. The Town

4. The Blonde in the Water

5. Breakable

6. What happened?

Signs

Sixth Sense

The Village

Unbreakable

The Happening

Lady in the Water.

What didn't you like about the ending?

The water plot hole, and the fact that the aliens were shown outright. It was always more affective when we could only seen quick glimpses of them.

What didn't you like about the ending?

The water plot hole, and the fact that the aliens were shown outright. It was always more affective when we could only seen quick glimpses of them.

You mean why would aliens invade a planet that's 75% water? Maybe they don't know water has that effect on them. It's left open for interpretation. Also, maybe because our planet is the only one with more resources than just iron.

As for showing the alien. I don't see the problem. Is there an alien movie where you don't see the alien?

red rabbits reasons are weaker than his supposed problem with Signs.

Signs ending was among the best endings to a film in many years, IMHO.

I thought the film was overall perfect. Great acting, dialogue, chemistry between actors. Story was solid. The scene in the recruiting office is amazing. The officers's voice in pair with the music, so good.

I'm with you fellers.

Signs = great movie. I remember the supposed crappiness of the "death by water" plotline was a mild controversy when the movie came out, and it didn't make any sense to me then, either. For one thing, it's a nice little play on The War of the Worlds; for another, the entire movie is about God's plans taking the form of things we take for granted (as well as things that we wish had never happened). The water is a big part of that element of the movie, and to me, when the disparate threads of God's plan begin to take shape during the climax, I felt quite moved. Not in a religious sense; just (for me, a confirmed agnostic) in the sense that I am always moved by a story that is exceptionally well-told.

From a standpoint of the plot, I guess you can argue that it's silly for the aliens to invade a planet that's littered with a substance so deadly to them. In addition to the potential reason for this that Koray posted, I could come up with a dozen more; but why bother? The film is asking me to take it on faith that it makes sense, and I'm more than happy to do so.

And I thought the reveal of the alien was not just effective, but damn effective. I'd occasionally walk into the theatre and stand at the back, and people would frequently gasp when they saw the alien. So I can't and don't consider that to be a weakness of the film in any way.

1. Signs

2. Unbreakable

3. The Sixth Sense

4. The Happening

5. The Village

6. Lady in the Water

I don't see how anyone could dislike the ending to Signs (assuming they enjoyed the rest of the film).