RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK vs STAR WARS  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better FILM?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Star Wars
  2. 2. Which is the better SCORE?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Star Wars

Quint's poll was cute ( :o ), but on a JW board, generally nothing can stand up to SW as a franchise.

I choose Raiders on both accounts. Maybe it's just because of the Indy rush, but I've really come to appreciate this score and film. But I still love SW to death.

I'm sure this has been done before, but not in a while, so the results could still be different.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raiders of the Lost Ark for film, Star Wars for score.

I concur with this man, but it would have been a different case if it was Raiders against Empire Strikes Back.

No, it isn't.

Raiders of the Lost Ark for film, Star Wars for score.
Film: Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Score: Star Wars

Raiders for film, Star Wars for score.

I didn't know which one to agree with.

No contest.

Star Wars, both film and score.

ditto, can't believe how many others think differently.

Film: Raiders

Score: Star Wars

Raiders has the better script and acting. The music to Star Wars works better as a listening experience from beginning to end, than Raiders does. I rarely ever listen to Raiders in full, though some of the individual cues are as good as Star Wars.

Raiders times two. As much as I like Star Wars, I'll always like Indiana Jones better.

I've always preferred Indy to SW too, but the scores I'm not so sure.

The music to Raiders works better as a listening experience from beginning to end, than Star Wars does. I rarely ever listen to Star Wars in full, though some of the individual cues are as good as Raiders.

I agree.

:mrgreen:

I find nothing in SW that I cannot listen to. In Raiders, it's different. I can never listen to "The Basket Game." It's great in the movie, but on its own, I always skip it. The same goes for parts of the opening. The rest of it is gold though, but it's never been as complete a listening experience as SW has. Or indeed ESB, but that's an entirely different discussion altogether (and if someone makes an ESB vs TOD poll, I'll scream. Don't make me choose!).

The Basket Game is brilliant! I love the bit where Marion runs into the doorway and knocks out her pursuer with the frying pan. JW showing exactly how to Mickey Mouse properly.

Star Wars is a better film, and a better piece of entertainment than Raiders, but not by much. Still I can watch Star Wars much easier over and over than Raiders. The dig on the acting is Star Wars is senseless, the performances are what they are, just as they are in Raiders. All are competent. You heard the same arguement for Jaws that you heard for Star Wars, performances are average at best, but its hard to watch Jaws today and not think just how good Roy, Dreyfuss, and Shaw are. Even if you don't think it in exactly the same way with Ford, Hamlin, and Fisher, you see each for the character they are, Solo, Skywalker, and the Princess. Alex Guiness is fantastic, and Peter Cushing absolutely devours the screen. Both films capture lightening in a bottle, but Star Wars captured a bit more obviously.

If we want to get technical with acting and directing etc etc, then Raiders is the better film, but going on the full entertainment value Star Wars is miles ahead.

People complained about the acting in Jaws? :D

once upon a time yes they did.