The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Beach Boy docu is starting. Are you watching, Steef? Or are you looking at your Star Trek collection again? 

I was watching The BFG in the cinema actually. Will you be seeing that at all? (it's not an Alexcremers movie)

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I was watching The BFG in the cinema actually. Will you be seeing that at all? (it's not an Alexcremers movie)

Nope!

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

Strangely enough, I have zero interest in watching this film, even if it is SS, and JW. I just don't care. Maybe a 90 mil return, on a 200 mil investment says it all? Maybe my tastes are changing?

You have grown up, Richard. You are no longer that Goonie you once were ...

41 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

You have grown up, Richard. You are no longer that Goonie you once were ...

Alex, I was never a Goonie (nor a Boy Scout, for that matter), but I am still a Gooner! Actually, I don't much like the film. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Alex, I was never a Goonie (nor a Boy Scout, for that matter), but I am still a Gooner! Actually, I don't much like the film. Sorry.

Well, that makes two of us!

19 hours ago, WojinPA said:

Um, yes, thousands of people have eliminated all other Republican candidates leaving only this individual to get the nomination. As if everybody thought it would be funny to see how long they could keep the joke going.

The term is unknown in this country as a synonym for fart, and is quite vulgar across England. Which is fitting for this vulgar orange man. 

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/264355/in-what-english-speaking-communities-does-trump-refer-to-the-breaking-of-wind

"Trump" is actually the tamer and more socially acceptable term here. Grown-ups say fart; children say trump. 

There's a brilliant British cartoon show though called Horrid Henry and they say fart in it quite a lot, and I hate the kids hearing it. I've had to tell them that they shouldn't really repeat it, which they have done. 

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It's $700 over here. Love Floyd but no thank you.

I will not be getting the box either. I already have everything that PF ever did, including the early years (which isn't my favourite period anyway) and have no intention of buying this just for the fancy  packaging.

29 minutes ago, Thor said:

I will not be getting the box either. I already have everything that PF ever did, including the early years (which isn't my favourite period anyway) and have no intention of buying this just for the fancy  packaging.

Everything they ever did...... Except the unreleased music in this lavish box, of course. But it's refreshing to read of another expanded music presentation you won't be buying. 

Yes the link I posted makes it quite clear there's a bunch of never before released music in this box set.

Never before released music doesn't deserve to be heard in Thor's fucked up vision for the world. If it wasn't good enough for the original album forty years ago, it simply no longer exists and shouldn't be released or listened to now by anyone anywhere. 

I agree, it's a marketing ploy. I've never heard a bonus track that would have made the original album stronger, quite the contrary. When you showcase your photos, don't show every damn photo you ever took,  show only the best.

I actually have a lot of unreleased, early songs (in bootleg format, but still), and I have very little to no interest in demo versions, alternate mixes, outtakes etc. But is there a list of these songs anywhere? I'd like to double-check, just to be certain.

20 songs are unreleased. The other 110 or so are outtakes, alternates, remixes/remastered, or live versions of songs we've already heard on prior albums. 

It'll contain some previously released albums cleaned up, but not all of them. 

There will be a two disc sampler set, which is what I'll likely stick with buying, as well as all volumes released individually later. This will be an investment for sure. 

And if this is a success, will later years also be unleashed? 

I guess it's a rising trend for record labels to put out these super lavish and expensive box sets with endless versions and takes of songs. Dylan has 3 of them out now, and I've read the only reason Columbia is doing it is to retain the rights so it doesn't become public domain. Ah capitalism!

1 hour ago, WojinPA said:

And if this is a success, will later years also be unleashed? 

The difference is that from Dark Side of the Moon forward, there wasn't nearly as many extra material recorded beyond what they put on their albums.  Also, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall already received individual lavish box sets with the same kind of extra stuff their early work is getting here.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It was extremely difficult to type "pink floyd early years track list" into google, but somehow I managed to pull it off

http://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/pdfs/Complete_Early_Years_Box_Track_Listing.pdf

Thanks. From glancing through the track titles, I think the only tracks I don't already have in some format is the unreleased music from MORE. But even that, I might have on some ancient bootleg CD (I haven't transferred it all to iTunes). Of course, the sound quality on this set may be considerably cleaned up.

Well, you never know...sometimes the source material is what it is. But OK, I'm sure the sound quality is better on the unreleased tracks than my bootleg versions.

You do realize you are a film music journalist who is posting on a public forum about how you want to keep illegally obtained material instead of a soon to be commercially available product of the same thing?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You do realize you are a film music journalist who is posting on a public forum about how you want to keep illegally obtained material instead of a soon to be commercially available product of the same thing?

Yeah, I kinda separate between my rock interest (which predates my film music interest by a wide margin) and my film music actitivities. Most of the PF bootlegs were acquired at CD & LP conventions in the 90s. But yes -- to all you kids listening out there: You should not be getting bootlegs! Buy the real deal!

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I kinda separate between my rock interest (which predates my film music interest by a wide margin) and my film music actitivities. Most of the PF bootlegs were acquired at CD & LP conventions in the 90s. But yes -- to all you kids listening out there: You should not be getting bootlegs! Buy the real deal!

Sure, but do you think it makes sense to publicly state that opinion for all to read if you want to advance in the field you're in?

Probably not. But I guess the risk of some record label executive stumbling into this thread, and then deciding to boycott promos and stuff to me because I bought a few Pink Floyd bootlegs in the 90s, is fairly low. :) Most of us have bootlegs; we just don't talk about it.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yep ... a bootleg double CD of U2's 1989 New Year's Eve Dublin gig is visible from where I sit :) .  

Ooh, Sweep! Could you get your hands on U2's brilliant 1/2 hour set from Greenbelt, 1981?

My personal holy grail is "Six Of The Best", because I was there.

I also have a taped-off-the-bootleg-CD cassette of the Dublin '93 Zooropa gig that I was at ... I still have the means to play it, but am terrified to lest it snap/snarl up in the way that aged cassettes are prone to.        

I listened to Revolver this morning for the first time in a couple of years.  After years of loving this album I think I'm just realizing that "She Said She Said" is secretly the most superb song on it.