The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

American chocolate is not the same as world-renowned Belgian or Swiss chocolate. Heck, I once ate some English milk chocolate and it tasted totally unfamiliar. 

I hate Yankee chocolate! Hate it, you hear? Hate, hate, hate! :angry: :kaboom:

(did I mention that I'm not too fond of American chocolate?).

Apparently the recipe for Hershey Bars was changed during WWII, to accommodate for the lack of ingredients, and it was not changed back after the war. Bloody cheapskates.

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I believe you, yet I do like chocolate bars like Mars and variants. Do they alter those for European markets?

As far as I know they do

On 12/12/2016 at 1:40 PM, Disco Stu said:

I like the salty chocolate bars.

Often viewed, never bought. I'm curious though. 

On 11/12/2016 at 10:31 PM, Stefancos said:

Racist!

Appreciation, rather. 

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I believe you, yet I do like chocolate bars like Mars and variants. Do they alter those for European markets?

Yeah, they alter the fucking price!

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I like the salty chocolate bars.

Have you tried chilli chocolate?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Yeah, they alter the fucking price!

Have you tried chilli chocolate?

Yes!  Delicious!  Mixing salty/savory flavors with chocolate is a great recent trend.

On 15/12/2016 at 10:35 AM, Richard said:

Many men have tried.

I remember your gummy bear. Now you will remember mine!!!

gummy-bear-lamps-s6DOko-clipart.jpg

On 15/12/2016 at 1:32 AM, Muad'Dib said:

Tomorrow I have my last final exam ever..........................

Following my earlier Abba submission, a slight twist. 

The twist being, I often feel that Jean Michel Jarre tapped into something of The Day Before You Came, for his Chronologie 3

Specifically, starting at 2:27 - 3:00 in the video above..........

Perhaps the same could be said for the deliciously wistful Chronologie 6, that wistful-ness made me a fan of Jarre. 

1:56 onwards.........

I never thought about an ABBA-JMJ connection in those tracks, but I see what you're talking about.

I feel that Pet Shop Boys was a major inspiration for Jarre on that album, obviously in "Chronologie 4", but also some other details.

CHRONOLOGIE gets a lot of flack, but I ADORE that album. Came out just at the height of my early Jarre love.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

I feel that Pet Shop Boys was a major inspiration for Jarre on that album, obviously in "Chronologie 4", but also some other details.

Ha, now that you say that I can also imagine Neil Tennant with a deadpan voice being spoken during that track. 

"So what did it mean, this TIME that we had? Oh I know you, you're just a CAD!!!" or something of that sort.

(I'm thinking the - "But in the back of my head I heard distant feet....Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat" voice, on Left to my own Devices)

Or - "Left to my own timepieces", in this case. 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

CHRONOLOGIE gets a lot of flack, but I ADORE that album. Came out just at the height of my early Jarre love.

Agreed. I see it somehow as a flawed work in the same way that I feel that he started in a certain style with Revolutions but switched his approach mid stream, with a concert in mind, but it has some superb moments. Several tracks are very - "Meh" for me, but the first is an absolute winner. I'm sure I've related my Wembley 1993 experience on here before about that track and how it affected me experiencing it live. It was a mystical experience, a defining moment for sure.

I felt like Deckard being 'melded' in ST:TMP. 

This week, I have been playing my "nothing gets me into the Christmas spirit, quite like this CD" CD: OMMADAWN.

I'm not sure exactly what it is about this record, it just sounds, and feels Christmasy. It's like a musical nursery rhyme. It doesn't quite scale the epic heights of HERGEST RIDGE, or INCANTATIONS, but, hot damn, if it isn't a darn good listen! 

The 5.1 mix reveals a lot of hidden treasures. It's MO's most child-like and simple record, and probably his most accessible one.

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

The 5.1 mix reveals a lot of hidden treasures. It's MO's most child-like and simple record, and probably his most accessible one.

Sure, as if Platinum is so difficult to get. Richard, Richard, Richard, ....

palm-face-Jesus.jpg

You want child-like? Here:

Enjoy!

9 hours ago, Richard said:

It's MO's most child-like and simple record, and probably his most accessible one

Ommadawn is the range of his childhood, in my opinion; the tenderness, wonder, but also a primal scream of traumas.

I mean, that end of Part One is a total 'experience' which grabs the listener and make them into a Berserker!

I have no hesitation in calling it my favourite work of music, ever. If I could only own one CD, it would be Ommadawn.

Did you know that he's releasing a new work in January 2017 called Return to Ommadawn.?

I didn't, and only stumbled across it on YouTube tonight, currently unsure from what I heard, if this is a good idea.

One excerpt reminded me of Telstar, funnily enough. I guess it all depends what Oldfield is aiming for with this new work. 

Ommadawn captured Oldfield mid crisis, and that can't be fabricated decades later so I'm guessing this is a 'closure' thing?

On the surface, and lyrics wise, yes some might distance themselves from this one as panty moistening teenager fodder.

But the first time I heard this, I was grabbed by the music and sure enough the singers are merely tools used by the actual creators. 

I think it is a superb 'energy' piece. 

Mel! This is not the god of Sha Ka Ree, or any other god!

On 17/12/2016 at 1:20 PM, Alexcremers said:

Sure, as if Platinum is so difficult to get. Richard, Richard, Richard, ....

palm-face-Jesus.jpg

You want child-like? Here:

Enjoy!

Oh, dear, dear Alex, you really are a "cloth-eared nincompoop", aren't you.

OMMADAWN, was released in 1975, got to no. 4 in the UK charts, and went gold.

PLATINUM came in at 24, and went...straight down. Even rebranding it AIRBORNE, and adding GUILTY, couldn't stop it from tanking in the USA, even tho' the  whole of side one took advantage of the then-popular disco craze.

Not even an incredible rendition of I GOT RYTHMN could save it.

More commercial? Think not.

In fact, it took MO 6 1/2 years (from 1975) to score another top-ten UK album. QED :)

Richard, it merely means that less people were interested in Oldfield's oversimplistic pop record. Just because something doesn't sell as well doesn't mean people didn't get it. They got it alright but they just didn't like it that much. Most Oldfield fans will say Platinum is Oldfield's attempt into a more commercially acceptable format because Mike Oldfield/record companies thought that long instrumental tracks of 20 minutes that people were digging in the early '70s were no longer appreciated by the end of the same decade. Everyone did it. Genesis, Yes, Oldfield, they all tried to make more radio friendly music. You really should know your pop basics, Richard! Going for a more commercial sound doesn't mean it will sell better, especially not when you're no longer at the height of your fame. Trust me, my granny (if I still had one) would love Moonlight Shadow (more commercial attempts by Oldfield) but she would raise her eyebrows with Oldfield's holy trinity (Tubular Bells, Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge).

Nostalgia moment here.................

Dug out a treasure of mine tonight, the cassette of Ommadawn which my Dad Father purchased decades ago, the very same tape I heard him playing when I was knee high to a grasshopper, and then played for years myself many many times after being hooked by it, played in a variety of audio players in houses, portable cassette players, car cassette players, etc. It is a testament that this cassette is still intact. It has been everywhere, probably all over Britain in its time. Yes sometimes it was left in cars during cold nights and explains how the label has moisture bubbling, but the last time I played this it was still ok though the sound now quite muffled after many years of wear from heavy play. You'll notice that it is half way through, and that is because my old cassette player has a habit of mangling cassettes now., so I won't take the chance with this one.

e_DSCN7393.JPG

e_DSCN7390.JPG

e_DSCN7386.JPG

e_DSCN7385.JPG

e_DSCN7389.JPG

e_DSCN7391.JPG

So, that address sticker I was curious to look into. Old photos of the store it was purchased from.............

3400574.png3400575.png

Alex, don't lecture me about "pop basics". I was out there, running around the UK singles charts, while your grandfather was still in diapers!

Still, to be fair to you, I guess it all depends on the meaning of the word

"commercial".

PLATINUM was a successful record in Europe, especially in Germany, so, really, what does the British public know?

PLATINUM happens to be my equal third favourite MO.