The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

I guess Richard never saw it but he's too afraid to admit it as it may hurt his image as a Pop/Prog man. ;)

I always thought APP weren't interested in making hits or even doing live performances at the time. I didn't even know that 'I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You' was a single. I thought they were a studio and album band. Maybe it was just to let the public know their new work was out? 

Alan+Parsons+in+4.jpg

Alex

They did very few live performances in the 70s and 80s, if any at all. At least, I'm not aware of any before the 1994 tour from which their first live album was recorded (at which point Woolfson was no longer part of the group). They were indeed very much a studio album band.

I think the music videos were just some cheap quickies they churned out for market necessity, and have very little of the perfectionism that defined their albums.

Of course, Woolfson had a long and productive career as songwriter before the APP, and although few of them became big hits, most of them were great period pop songs. One of the most popular (at least one of the most popular artists) may have been the moody folk song "Tomorrow's Calling" for Marianne Faithful:

Also, you may recognize the base melody of "Room at the Top of the Stairs" by Timothy Blue, which was later used in "The Cask of Amontillado":

Yes, I definitely recognize that, Thor. However, I do miss the amazing backing vocals segment in that early version though ... ;)

What are these chains that are binding my arm?
Part of you dies each passing day
Say it's a game and I'll come to no harm
You'll feel your life slipping away

God, I love those voices! Should be heard on vinyl.

Never heard the Marianne Faithful song. Not really my kinda artist either.

Woolfson was clearly more into a more light radio stuff. I wonder who of the two (Parsons or Woolfson) was responsible for the 'Fantastic' element of their albums. Especially in the beginning, their albums felt almost like books or movies.

Alex

Right. I've just seen the APP video. Apart from being funny, it's a little... well, almost irrelevant.

"Might hurt his image as a Prog/Pop man"? @#£%  you!!!!!!!!!!! :P

As for APP being publicity-shy; the booklets show lots of magazine covers (mostly from Europe) and interviews. TOM+I even had a " performance" at the Griffith Observatory.

The Timothy Blue song is nice, but TCOA is better.

Ps, has anyone heard the original FOREVER AUTUMN advert song?

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Woolfson was clearly more into a more light radio stuff. I wonder who of the two (Parsons or Woolfson) was responsible for the 'Fantastic' element of their albums. Especially in the beginning, their albums felt almost like books or movies.

Yeah, he was. Although several of the songs he wrote in the 60s and early 70s were rather 'high class' for light radio. Both in terms of arrangement and the 'melancholy' of the melodies -- which became even more evident with the APP stuff. I could list several other early Woolfson songs that displayed this (I have 20 of Woolfson's pre-APP songs, but still missing quite a few obscurities). The whole 'fantastic' or 'concept' idea came from Woolfson too. Parsons' involvement was primarily his engineering and producing skills (obviously) and also having his fair share of experience with prog rock conceptualizations. It was just a great match from the get-go.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Ps, has anyone heard the original FOREVER AUTUMN advert song?

If you're referring to the Jeff Wayne song, no I haven't. His WAR OF THE WORLDS is one of those albums that I've been meaning to get for 25 years, but never got around to.

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

So, in a sense, it was more like The Eric Woolson Project ...

It was indeed, especially in terms of the creative force or songwriting. But Parsons had the bigger 'name' at the time. Parsons also did most of the (non-orchestral) instrumentals.

Roxette....a stalwart of my youth, but I don't think I've ever been a fan outside nostalgia. I often pull out "The Look" in karaoke settings, though. I've learned that to a tee.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I just thought I'd mention this;

happy 30th birthday

SIGN O' THE TIMES :wizard: 

His last great album, in my opinion.  He had classic singles after this, but no more front to back classic albums.

On 1.4.2017 at 1:41 PM, Richard said:

Is anybody planning to go to the Pink Floyd exhibition, at the V+A?

I wish! Not sure what V+A means, but I'm sure it's in a country far away. :(

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I just discovered this band on the radio yesterday, but to my disappointment, the live versions they performed on the radio show are leaps and bounds better than their studio work.

Surprised you just heard of them now, they've been big here for a while.  This is their best song, or at least the one I first heard from them

Yeah I was surprised to learn they've been around for 10 years. Their sound is very Black Keys but I liked the rawness of their live performance that I heard. Sounded less produced and more human. I'll check out their new album in June. 

8 hours ago, Richard said:

Fantastic, dude, just fantastic! Anything by WZ, from LAWYERS GUNS AND MONEY, and WEREWOLVES OF LONDON, to SEARCHING FOR A HEART, and MY SHIT'S FUCKED UP, is just fine by me.

I just discovered him last night and I've listening to the Excitable Boy album non-stop since then. It's brilliant.

I went ahead and ordered that Pepper's box set. 

Hope they do it for a couple of the big ones. 

Would love Rubber Soul and Revolution in the same format. 

6 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I went ahead and ordered that Pepper's box set. 

Hope they do it for a couple of the big ones. 

Would love Rubber Soul and Revolution in the same format. 

These giant album box sets seem to be a growing trend. Not a fan of locking away the extra music behind a big price tag and frivolous memorabilia, but I love The Beatles enough to give this one a purchase. The way to go is how Jimmy Page handled the newest Zeppelin remasters. Want all the music? Here it is on a 2-disc set for $15. Want all the extra shit? Here it is on a $100 set.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

That's... not bad, at all. Kudos, dude.

£109 on Amazon U.K. Now! 

I got it on Amazon Italy. Think it was £85 there.

On 05/04/2017 at 6:38 PM, Muad'Dib said:

How are you getting on with Mr. Z?

If you like EXCITABLE BOY, try SENTIMENTAL HYGIENE, MY RIDE'S HERE, and LIFE'LL KILL YA.

His version of BACK IN THE HIGH LIFE, is heartbreaking.