The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Epic, new 10-minute music video of Rammstein's latest single "Deutschland":

Rammstein is one of my alltime favourite bands (I'm a completist), and can't wait untill their new (and sadly final) studio album will be out on May 17 -- incidentally also the Norwegian national day.

Stefan, I just posted that video two posts up! (of course, Steve had to butt in with a random Kim Wilde video inbetween, so easier to miss, I guess).

• 2 weeks later...

An album of orchestral remixes of 80s songs was released late last year.  Most of the tracks are nothing to bother about, but they did a good job with these two, methinks.

The B-52's when they were still subversively strange.

"I'll give you fish!  I'll give you candy!"

Cindy Wilson was never hotter.  She looked like she would either murder you or bake you brownies.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This is a perfect song.  I completely forgot how much I loved this song 10 years ago.  It blindsided me in a random shuffle.  At 2:14 the world melts away.

Oh snap, been a while since I've thought about Portishead? Do you like the film scores of Salisbury? 

I always loved this concert from them:

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Do you like the film scores of Salisbury? 

I think you mean Barrow, and I have to admit I'm only really familiar with his co-composing work on Annihilation (with Salisbury!).

I have however listened to Beth Gibbons' brand new recording of Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs that came out this month.  She's a world treasure she is.  Classic example of someone with an untrained voice that isn't technically impressive but is such an emotionally riveting performer.

Screenshot_2019-04-21_at_07_37_17.png

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think you mean Barrow, and I have to admit I'm only really familiar with his co-composing work on Annihilation (with Salisbury!).

Oh whoops, I remembered their collaboration on Ex Machina and I thought of steak, so I mistakenly attached it to Salisbury. 

Didn't know she recorded that! Strangely unsurprising, though. 

It was only one hour ago
It was all so different then
Nothing yet has really sunk in
Looks like it always did
This flesh and bone
Is just the way that we are tied in
But there's no one home

God, I miss you mum. You'll always be in my heart, and yesterday will remain etched in my memory as the worst Easter Sunday i could ever possibly imagine.

RIP

39 minutes ago, Sharky said:

It was only one hour ago
Looks like it always did
This flesh and bone
But there's no one home

God, I miss you mum. You'll always be in my heart, and yesterday will remain etched in my memory as the worst Easter Sunday i could ever possibly imagine.

RIP

Very, very sorry to hear this, Sharky.

Know that you have many friends here and that, I'm sure I speak for many when I say, I'm both incredibly sorry for your loss but very glad to have you back!

48 minutes ago, Sharky said:

It was only one hour ago
Looks like it always did
This flesh and bone
But there's no one home

RIP

Our thoughts are with you old friend.

2 hours ago, Sharky said:

It was only one hour ago
Looks like it always did
This flesh and bone
But there's no one home

RIP

So sorry to hear this friend. Sending love your way.

2 hours ago, Sharky said:

It was only one hour ago
Looks like it always did
This flesh and bone
But there's no one home

RIP

Sorry, man.  Wishing you the best.

So Alan Parsons' new album THE SECRET was released a couple of days ago. I've been waiting, what, 15 years for a new studio album and now it's finally here! Well, the overall impression is mixed. Not too thrilled with the adult pop elements, or the orchestral 'pop' version of Dukas' "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", with Steve Hackett's cheesy el guitar riffs.

But some real gems as well. Some of the ballads have a classic AP melody line. My favourite track is the Beatles-esque "One Note Symphony", probably. Such a cool idea to orchestrate and harmonize the hell out of a one note melody: 

15 hours ago, Richard said:

@Thor, is it as good as TRY ANYTHING ONCE?

No. THE SECRET is maybe the weakest of the post-Project albums, but still pretty decent. It's growing on me a little bit. TRY ANYTHING ONCE is the best of the post-GAUDI albums, IMO (not counting FREUDIANA, which is genius).

The only thing I really like is the (short) guitar solo in 'Fly To Me' (It's the only moment when I said "Holy!"). And even though the album credits several guitarists, I'm guessing it's Ian Bairnson.

PS: I would have preferred if it was 'Lie To Me' instead of 'Fly To Me'. 

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The only thing I really like is the (short) guitar solo in 'Fly To Me' (It's the only moment when I said "Holy!"). And even though, the album credits several guitarists, I'm guessing it's Ian Bairnson.

Yes, it definitely has the Bairnson touch all over it.

I've not looked at the credits. Is David Paton on it?

20 hours ago, Thor said:

No. THE SECRET is maybe the weakest of the post-Project albums, but still pretty decent. It's growing on me a little bit. TRY ANYTHING ONCE is the best of the post-GAUDI albums, IMO (not counting FREUDIANA, which is genius).

Is it as good as ON AIR (which I rather like)?

ON AIR is brilliant too, yes, but TRY ANYTHING ONCE supersedes it, IMO. It's the first album Parsons did without the late Eric Woolfson, but it still somehow has a few elements of Woolfson's 'DNA' in it, which makes it a great crossover album.

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Is it as good as ON AIR (which I rather like)?

The album is on youtube music, Richard. Find out for yourself!

Anyone else miss Madonna's Earth Mother phase? I think Ray of Light is her best song (I also think it's my favorite pop song) and album. The music video has nice chukka boots and denim jacket.

03-madonna-rol-1998-billboard-1548.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Anyone else miss Madonna's Earth Mother phase? I think Ray of Light is her best song (I also think it's my favorite pop song) and album. The music video has nice chukka boots and denim jacket.

03-madonna-rol-1998-billboard-1548.jpg

I was way into that and the Frozen music video when I was 10

That a good'un, @SteveMc Could you post MOVE TO MEMPHIS?

21 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The album is on youtube music, Richard. Find out for yourself!

I wasn't talking to you!

On 5/1/2019 at 12:25 PM, Thor said:

ON AIR is brilliant too, yes, but TRY ANYTHING ONCE supersedes it, IMO. It's the first album Parsons did without the late Eric Woolfson, but it still somehow has a few elements of Woolfson's 'DNA' in it, which makes it a great crossover album.

See?!