The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Kinda crazy how it's the 50th anniversary and it's still Her Majesty that is Her Majesty!

Samples:

The five and a halfth Beatle has done it again!

Just listened to the 2009 remaster of Something alongside this new 2019 remix.  Gotta say, I prefer the 2009 remaster.  The new remix sounds....sort of...stretched....like....butter scraped over too much bread....

Some cover of Higher Love is all over the radio here, havent heard that one in the US

In general we've had shit all luck finding any decent radio station in all our driving around

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Taylor Swift on the cutting edge of postmodern pop as usual:

It sounds like Lords meets Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark; both infinitely superior to this narcissistic twerp.

2 hours ago, SteveMc said:

The last throes of this decade's pop zeitgeist.  Artistically bankrupt, but oh so lucrative.  

I agree...unfortunately :(

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Some cover of Higher Love is all over the radio here, havent heard that one in the US

In general we've had shit all luck finding any decent radio station in all our driving around

Try Radio 3.

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's all about the meta commentary these days Richard.

"Meta commentary", my arse! It's all about a vain, empty, girl, laundering her shitty undies, in public. Why someone hasn't taken her to a nice quiet forest, and put a bullet in her head, is beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...

TOOL has a new album that came out todai, their first album in 13 years.  And... it's good!

https://open.spotify.com/album/7acEciVtnuTzmwKptkjth5?si=9qChN3UyTseqVn-G_4F4AA

They actually their entire catalog on Spotify and other streaming/digital services for the first time earlier this month

On 8/30/2019 at 10:47 PM, Thor said:

Phil Collins is severely underrated.

One of the most successful artists of the '80s is severely underrated? This does not compute ...

Anyway ... (putting on unbreakable helmet and bulletproof clothing):

1. The Seeds Of Love

Thor: Everybody Loves A Happy Ending is their one and only true masterpiece, even though all their albums are great.

Richard:  Raoul And The Kings Of Spain -> Everything else

Disco Stu: Songs Of The Big Chair for me! 

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

One of the most successful artists of the '80s is severely underrated? This does not compute ...

Underrated in an artistic sense, not commercial, obviously.

11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Listening to Telegraph Road by Dire Straits for the first time ever. I have now lived.

First time ever! Wow....

Dire Straits was such an integral part of my youth. I think they were my favourite band at one point; in the last part of my childhood years, pre-adolescence and pre-prog rock obsession. These days, I'm not as keen, although I appreciate the accesibility of it all. And LOVE OVER GOLD still remains a masterpiece album, all these years later.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 3:50 PM, Alexcremers said:

Richard:  Raoul And The Kings Of Spain -> Everything else

Not quite, Alex

1/ ELEMENTAL

2/ THE SEEDS OF LOVE

TSOL seriously needs a 30th anniversary remastering...in Superbascombevision :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't really familiar with Ginger Baker, but a year or two ago, I watched a documentary about him. What a fascinating personality he was!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Thanks for that, Steef.

It was said that Baker was the "template" for "harder" rock drummers (Bonzo; Peart; Taylor, etc.).

Cream's 2005 RAH concert DVD is fantastic. It's three older guys, with nothing to prove, just kicking back, and having a ball.

• 2 weeks later...

" the 50th anniversary release on 27 September release of The Beatles’ Abbey Road album in a suite of new editions. This returned the album to chart summits around the world, including in the UK, where Abbey Road reclaimed the No. 1 position after 49 years and 252 days. The achievement broke The Beatles’ own Guinness World Record previously held by Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, which went back to No. 1 in June 2017, following its own 50th anniversary reissue, after 49 years and 125 days. "

Lol. Nice!

I heard Abbey Road for the first time in full last Wednesday btw, and I must've listened to it at least 20 times since.

• 2 weeks later...