The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

It's great! I did play it at least that same amount since that post, so I'm kinda catcing up on a couple years of listening :D

Really my Beatles fandom past knowing about them and knowing the classics started in 2016 with the play (or rather musical mayhem as they put it) Beatles.hu at the local theatre, which comprised of loosely connected reenactments of their interviews/TV appearances/changing points and of course song numbers. Then I picked up "1" in the shop in 2017 along with the Spielberg/Williams collection (my first Williams purchase!), then the remastered anniversary Pepper, and from then on I made it somewhat of a goal/point to wait for these lovingly done 50th anniversary White Album and Abbey Road releases (plus whatever may come) instead of making do with older, less pleasant stereo (or even mono where the separation is too painful for headphones) mixes.

37 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Better late, than never, I suppose. A classic is a classic, whenever one hears it.

@Holko, what do you think of ABBEY ROAD?

It's much more than a classic, Richard. It's the template of the music of the '70s. 

I'm going to see a-ha tonight ... it's one of those 'hits set, interval, then an album played in full chronological order' gigs (in this case, it's their debut 'Hunting High And Low'). 

They were my first gig ever back in '88, so tonight will have a 'coming full circle' feel I expect  :) .  

54 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I'm going to see a-ha tonight ... it's one of those 'hits set, interval, then an album played in full chronological order' gigs (in this case, it's their debut 'Hunting High And Low'). 

They were my first gig ever back in '88, so tonight will have a 'coming full circle' feel I expect  :) .  

a-ha is a favourite band of mine (kinda obligatory if you're Norwegian), and I have many of their albums. However, I've only seen them live once -- a free outdoors concert in Oslo with close to 100.000 spectators! Have fun!

I hope that they play songs from MINOR EARTH MAJOR SKY: a great record.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Thank you, gentlemen ... as a Bond fan, I am hoping the hits set includes The Living Daylights...  

Which version did they play?

TLD was their last song, and it sounded more akin to the original single version than the stubbornly different one they recorded for 'Stay On These Roads'. Guess they've made their peace with it down the years.  

As I mentioned, they were my first gig 31 years ago ... and now at the age of 60, Morten Harket is still an annoyingly handsome bastard. Whereas the less said about how I've aged in the interim, the better :lol: .     

"One Slip (2019 remix)" from the box set, The Later Years 1987–2019 was released as a single on 24 October 2019 on Spotify and 25 October 2019 on YouTube and iTunes. The song contains newly recorded drums by Nick Mason and organ parts by Richard Wright lifted from 1987-89 live performances, replacing the song's original drum and keyboard parts.

Interesting.  Why do all that?

OK, now I'm reading about the box set

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Later_Years_1987–2019

Why is it called that if it only contains Momentary Lapse of Reason and Delicate Sound of Thunder, but not The Division Bell or The Endless River?

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Pink Floyd, The Bad Years.

I just knew you'd say that.

Vice versa, it's probably no surprise to you that I absolutely adore the Gilmour years. Then again, I like pretty much all of PF, except maybe the Syd Barrett stuff (still trying to sell my Syd Barrett 3CD solo box).

Agreed, @Boom Tss. Have you heard

TERMINAL FROST DYOL?

It's my third favourite PF record (sorry, Alex!). It says more to me about the Summer/Fall of '87 than just about any other record. For those precious few months it was AMLOR, and GO ON, by Mr. Mister. Glorious!

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

What an impressive career!

1. A New World Record

ELO_A_New_World_Record.jpg

Has anyone heard the new stuff? He sounds more like Roy Orbison, with every new (world) record :lol:

Agreed about ANWR, Alex. For me, it's either that, or TIME. 

For every TIGHTROPE, there's an ANOTHER HEART BREAKS. I really can't decide.

Eldorado through Time is one hell of a run of just super fun pop records.  I love every single album!

It's not that I hate the albums before Eldorado or after Time, but between those two is what I'd identify as the golden age of ELO.

But I'm with you, Richard.  Time is up there for me.  I've always thought "The Lights Go Down" sounds a lot like Lynne's production style on Full Moon Fever/Traveling Wilburys later in the decade.  It's great.

Couple of oddities from Kate Bush's The Red Shoes sessions.

It is, what it is.  Very Prince-esque.

It is too much.  I like it spots, but in others I can't stand it.

In general, The Red Shoes is probably her weakest album.  As a follow up to The Sensual World it is puzzling.  That album sounds more '93 than The Red Shoes, which seems rather stuck in 1988 maybe.  I think that to follow up the aggressive artistry of Hounds of Love and the enveloping eroticism of The Sensual World with an all out bonkers pop album was the bold and right way to go for her.  But, Bush's long album gestation times and the fact that she really was not in a pop album state of mind at the time conspired to make for an underwhelming and dated album. Rather a pity, since I actually think her voice peaked at this time

Though, nothing on there is quite as dated as these two numbers.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I was reminded of this today and I'd kinda forgotten how much I loved this song 5 years ago.  One of the few genuinely great actually popular pop songs of this decade if you ask me.

Awesome stuff

14 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Agreed about ANWR, Alex. For me, it's either that, or TIME. 

Time? I really thought you would pick Out Of The Blue as your favourite, Richard. Many do, you know. Maybe it's because it's a double album, or maybe because of its futuristic cover, who knows.

71-4vcunM+L._SY355_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A great, classic Earth, Wind & Fire single that was practically written to be listened to on Monday morning

The Human Race is runnin' over me
I punch a clock at nine and five
Just tryin' to make a livin'
A plastic face on satellite TV
Says, "Life is filled with give and take"
He's takin' and I'm givin'
So I dance

Everybody get up
Do your dance
Keep survivin'
Everybody get up
Do your dance
Stay alive

Sad news, indeed. Roxette was much more than just JOYRIDE -as a lot of people seemed to think.

On 12/9/2019 at 1:39 PM, Disco Stu said:

A great, classic Earth, Wind & Fire single that was practically written to be listened to on Monday morning

Fuckin' A, Stu!

A great song, from an underrated "comeback" record. At the very least, it's probably better than ELECTRIC UNIVERSE.

I've always thought that the lyrics are a sort of "sequel" to LET ME TALK.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yup, very sad news. Roxette was an integral part of my childhood.

Joyride was the first proper music album I ever owned in original form - I got it for Christmas in 1991. I lost track of Roxette when I turned to film music in 1994 and didn't pay a lot of attention to them until they had their comeback with Charm School and I started seeking out the rest of their catalogue and discovered that most of it is really good.

It's not deep music, but as far as plain pop goes it doesn't get much better. With just the kind of style (and lots of catchy hooks) to easily attach itself to all kinds of sentimental memories.

Shame I didn't bother to get a ticket when they came to Vienna on their reunion tour.

• 2 weeks later...