The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Great, Steve, but...where's Lifeson?

It was the only Rush gif in the system!  

Not sure who we can write to about it, though.

4 hours ago, SteveMc said:

It was the only Rush gif in the system!  

Not sure who we can write to about it, though.

Don't bother, Steve. Any Rush gif, is a good gif.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Gee, thanks, Richard, now 'YYZ' has been playing inside my head all day!

It could be worse, Alex, a lot worse :lol:

Revenge Of The Sith (complete score edit)

Listening to this straight after the TROS ost.

Quite a difference. First of all, the recording is actually nicer to listen too. Its less harsh.

The music is wildly uneven on the whole. Going from typical mid-00's JW action bombast to some very interesting textural stuff. 

The over the top fanfares and pompous tone of The Force Theme here actually seem to be on purpose. Perhaps indicating the Jedi who have become vain and lazy.

The music for the Dark Side is rather eclectic, and "out there" for Willing. 

Flawed but ambitious effort!

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Revenge Of The Sith (complete score edit)

Listening to this straight after the TROS ost.

Quite a difference. First of all, the recording is actually nicer to listen too. Its less harsh.

The music is wildly uneven on the whole. Going from typical mid-00's JW action bombast to some very interesting textural stuff. 

The over the top fanfares and pompous tone of The Force Theme here actually seem to be on purpose. Perhaps indicating the Jedi who have become vain and lazy.

The music for the Dark Side is rather eclectic, and "out there" for Willing. 

Flawed but ambitious effort!

Didn't know Revenge of the Sith was a rock album!

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

What? Better than SUBDIVISIONS?

Better than LA VILLA STRANGIATO? Better than NATURAL SCIENCE? Better than THE CAMERA EYE?

I love all those too, but I gotta be honest with myself.  No Rush song gives me more of a transcendent, complete experience than "Red Barchetta."

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Out of interest; have you ever read A NICE MORNING DRIVE?

I haven't, although I've read of it.  I should say, I don't really agree with the implied viewpoint of the song that road safety laws are government overreach!  It's a truly exhilarating musical narrative, though, with a sort of fascinating interplay going on between the words and the music that you just don't often find in pop music.  That, to me, was what made Rush "progressive" back in their best hey-day: the theatrical musical-narratives they constructed that could maybe be a bit goofy but were told with joyously virtuosic creativity.  Still a band that's underrated and widely misunderstood.

"Suddenly, you were gone, from all the lives you left your mark upon"

Oh...shit! :(

He died on the 7th; seven days short of the 40th anniversary of PERMANENT WAVES.

A poet, a philosopher, a lyricist, and the best fucking drummer in the whole damn world!

R.I.P. Mr. Peart. Thank you for all the wonderful music that Rush made. You will never be forgotten.

"The water takes me home. The water takes me home. Take me home"

I had to listen to "Freewill" first tonight after learning this news.  It's the first Rush song I ever heard and within seconds of it coming on the radio I was hooked, like no rock song I'd ever heard before.  This was in the late 90s, we didn't have internet yet, and I spent weeks trying to figure out who the band was.  Within a month I bought the "Retrospective I" compilation on CD and began an amazing journey.  I love how his songs were always wrestling with real shit, and he was such a thoughtful, smart lyricist.  

This seems like an appropriate second song to listen to:

Summer's going fast, nights growing colder
Children growing up, old friends growing older
Freeze this moment a little bit longer
Make each sensation a little bit stronger
Experience slips away

:crymore:

On 1/17/2020 at 9:06 AM, Disco Stu said:

I'm very glad that Best Coast is back with their first album in 5 years.  There's something so comforting to me about their fizzy, catchy 90s throwback rock.

This is a good song!

Dude yes, Best Coast!  :rock:

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Interestingly, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON never reached #1

I wonder why DSOTM never reached #1 in the U.K.? It did manage to reach #2 though ... It also got stuck at #2 in Holland, probably defeated by Zangeres Zonder Naam.

Not quite sure that that's true. It was released in May, '73, and, in the U.K., THE EXORCIST wasn't released until January, '74 (December, '73, in the U.S.A.). It was a slow seller, at first, to be sure, but John Peel championed it, and it was featured in a few British T.V. ads.

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Not quite sure that that's true. It was released in May, '73, and, in the U.K., THE EXORCIST wasn't released until January, '74 

But it wasn't a hit when it was released in '73. It became a hit in 1974 after The Exorcist was released. No need to change history, Richard.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hot damn!

Does it sound better than the 2011 remaster?

Not familiar with the remaster, Richard, but I've read that, unlike the 'compressed' remaster of 2011, the MFSL version keeps all the original dynamics intact.

By the way, the same goes for:

51DBXBJ7PML._AC_.jpg

Easily the only version you will ever need!

I remember those "Original Master Recording" thingies came out (late 90s or something, was it?). I never really bothered about it, as I thought (and still think) the original CDs sound brilliant the way they are.

• 3 weeks later...

:woop: :woop::woop:

OH. HAPPY. DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's official!

Genesis is reforming! 

They tour the UK, October, and November, with Collins' son on drums. No word on Steurmer, or Thompson, yet.

Gabriel and Hackett will not be taking part.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

:woop: :woop::woop:

OH. HAPPY. DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's official!

Genesis is reforming! 

They tour the UK, October, and November, with Collins' son on drums. No word on Steurmer, or Thompson, yet.

Gabriel and Hackett will not be taking part.

Stuermer is listed along with Nic Collins on the "poster" for the tour

Ta, awfully, for that @Fal J. M. Skywalker.

It's nice to know he's back (he's a better guitarist than Rutherford, anyway).

I've looked, but I can't find the poster you speak of. Are you able to provide a link?

I like the tour title: THE LAST DOMINO? More new music, to come..?

5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ta, awfully, for that @Fal J. M. Skywalker.

It's nice to know he's back (he's a better guitarist than Rutherford, anyway).

I've looked, but I can't find the poster you speak of. Are you able to provide a link?

I like the tour title: THE LAST DOMINO? More new music, to come..?

Collins's social media.

genesis-poster-jpg.jpg

I wonder if this means they will tour US in 2021. Part of me wants them to, but considering how bad Phil looked sitting on his stool during last year's solo tour, which I saw, so I'm not sure I would enjoy more of that. The 2007 reunion was nice and since this won't include Peter and Steve, then I will enjoy my memories. 

I was on a real Extraordinary Machine kick a couple years ago. I was playing it a couple times a week pretty much all summer.

Over/Under on how many words the title will be?

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

I was on a real Extraordinary Machine kick a couple years ago. I was playing it a couple times a week pretty much all summer.

Which version?

The Jon Brion "Red Red Red" is SO superior to the final album version.  One of my favorites.

See I disagree! I love Brion but I think his EM arrangements are distracting (though obviously the mix is unfinished). They are cool as curios though.

I love the album's "Red Red Red". More naked emotionally, ghostly and ethereal arrangement. Reminds me a bit of Thomas Newman. And she's just great on it. 

I just love that Jon Brion sound of the late 90s/early 00s so much.

Speaking of, I'm really looking forward to the new Rufus Wainwright album coming out in April.  It's his first pop album since 2012!

Yes me too! All my faves take forever :lol:

I had totally lost awareness of what Wainwright was doing these days until I saw that video of him and Jake Gyllenhaal singing Everly Brothers for some show recently. I thought Rufus was Loudon lol.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yes me too! All my faves take forever :lol:

I had totally lost awareness of what Wainwright was doing these days until I saw that video of him and Jake Gyllenhaal singing Everly Brothers for some show recently. I thought Rufus was Loudon lol.

He's fully embraced being a middle aged dad!

I was actually a big fan of his 2016 album of Shakespeare songs, especially this one:

I will have to check that out. I was very obsessed with him in high school. I've had Going to a Town stuck in my head lately. "I'm so tiiired of youuu Americaaaaaa" 

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He's fully embraced being a middle aged dad!

I also think of Paul Thomas Anderson who has seemingly aged about 40 years in 20.

shutterstock_9336584a.jpg?resize=800,533