The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

'Lovely Day' is of course a classic, Richard. I'm not really familiar with Withers as an album artist. Does he have like a legendary album that I should know about?

AbbeyRoad1_GettyImages-1214477921.jpg

Now that it's quiet outside, the Abbey Road crosswalk has been repainted! 

https://pitchfork.com/news/beatles-iconic-abbey-road-crosswalk-gets-repainted-because-nobody-is-outside/

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Does he have like a legendary album that I should know about?

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Is the white VW still there?

Great title! Will check it out!

Well, what did you expect, Richard? For symphonic proggers, the album 'Please Don't Touch' is way too poppy, even flirting with R&B. And for a pop album, there's better stuff to be found.

@Alexcremers

I think that you may have misinterpreted my last post, Alex.

What I posted was Phil Collins' reaction (verbatim, and oft-quoted), when Hackett presented the track. I agree with Hackett: to go with WOT GORILLA was crime.

Personally, I love PLEASE DON'T TOUCH. Side 2, from HOPING LOVE WILL LAST, right through to ICARUS ASCENDING, is great stuff.

I don't hear too much R'n'B in RACING IN A, or CARRY ON UP THE VICARAGE :lol:

Hey @mrbellamy, it's out!

New Fiona Apple album woooooo.

Like with any new Fiona, it's gonna take a lot of listens to really settle into and get a handle on.

I'd say on a first listen my favorite tracks were "Relay" and "Heavy Balloon."

Her songwriting might be better than ever. There are a lot of holy shit moments in this. Newspaper, For Her...I also have a real soft spot for those first two tracks, classic piano-driven FA that they are.

Also just thinking about the fact that she did all this in some spare room in her house lmao. Inspiring. The dogs are a nice touch.

Potential Disco Stu Theme Song

Holy moly I love A Wizard, A True Star.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:12 AM, mrbellamy said:

Her songwriting might be better than ever. There are a lot of holy shit moments in this. Newspaper, For Her...I also have a real soft spot for those first two tracks, classic piano-driven FA that they are.

Also just thinking about the fact that she did all this in some spare room in her house lmao. Inspiring. The dogs are a nice touch.

Over these last two albums I've noticed that she's written quite a few songs with choruses that are like these repetitive chants almost.  "I SPREAD LIKE STRAWBERRIES! / I CLIMB LIKE PEAS AND BEANS!" is so great.  Love that song.

It’s a real testament to this album that I’ve only had a chance to listen to it ONCE so far and I could immediately sing that in my head. I also had “Laaaadies laaaadies ladies” stuck in my head yesterday and was trying to remember where that was from :lol: I honestly thought it was some old song until I looked it up. This thing is already in my brain as a classic.

Why'd you delete most of your post, @Sharkissimo? I wish I'd replied a little earlier! As always, it was a very eloquent reminder of how little I actually know about music.

On 4/29/2020 at 6:20 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Sharkissimo

It's nice to see David Sylvian getting some love. TIN DRUM is a damned near perfect record.

I've been on a Sylvian/Sakamoto/Japan deep-dive for the last few weeks, although I've already been familiar with his music for some years. Mick Karn's singular sound was essentially the reason why I took up fretless (well him and Jaco Pastorius's work on Hejira). There was a time when I found David 'wish-I-Scott-Walker' Sylvian's glutinous voice grating, but I've come to appreciate it, warts and all. Tin Drum might be Japan's masterwork, but Gentlemen Take Polaroids is still the album I revisit most often--Swing in particular. 

As much as I love the original, there's something quite magical about this stripped-down performance of Ghosts

For me, the verses evince more pathos when transposed down a major second and furnished with the uneasy harmonies that were only latent within the original's Prophet-5 drone. You could probably count the number of pop songs that involve a move from the submediant to a Dorian supertonic on one hand. 

21 hours ago, Jilal said:

Why'd you delete most of your post, @Sharkissimo? I wish I'd replied a little earlier! As always, it was a very eloquent reminder of how little I actually know about music.

Hey thanks! I've put it back. It got so few likes that I thought I'd gone overboard, or had simply bitten off more than I could chew.

Yes, sad news. Kraftwerk has always been a favourite of mine. Saw them live once, I think some 10-12 years ago, here in Oslo.

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Would that be on the MINIMUM MAXIMUM tour?

Yes, I think that was it! Wow, 2006, it appears. Time flies!

To this day, that D.V.D. is among the very best filmed concerts that I've ever watched. How four men standing behind keyboards (computers on stands, essentially) can make music with such soul, is beyond me.

NEON LIGHTS is tear-inducingly beautiful, and RADIOACTIVITY is achingly sad.

I didn't know there was a DVD. Does it contain any of the Oslo performances too? Perhaps I can be glimpsed in the audience; I moved slightly more than the rest of the hipster crowd, so I would be easy to spot. Couldn't help myself.

On 5/6/2020 at 6:48 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Farewell to a true pioneer. Florian Schneider, dead at 73.

This probably deserved its own thread.

Incidentally, Kraftwerk and John Williams have in common that they share the same golden period (mid-70s to mid-80s). I was a fan of both during that time :)

R.I.P. Mr. Schneider.

Kraftwerk! The most influential band on electronic dance music. Heck, they even influenced Hip Hop (hip hop street dance, if I'm not mistaken). 

RIP Florian!

New Sparks album.  Kudos to @Disco Stu for letting me know about it.

Very solid stuff here, the Maels march into their seventh decade with flair.  Side A is especially strong.  Bristling with creativity, with that typical Sparks fusion of their quirky style and prickly lyrics with the prevailing pop winds.