The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

• 2 weeks later...

Randomly decided to listen to Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy today, which was my favorite album of theirs when I initially became a fan ca. 2002 (Physical Graffiti replaced it as my official favorite many years ago).  My current standing on HOTH: 5 songs are absolutely killer and among the greatest rock songs ever recorded and the other 3 songs are just pretty great Led Zeppelin songs.

The 5 I consider among the great rock songs ever:

The Song Remains the Same

The Rain Song

Over the Hills and Far Away

No Quarter

The Ocean

It's the three in the middle that are great, but drag the album a bit.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I believe I described them as "pretty great"

Sure but what about them makes the album drag?

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Stu, how do you rate the "extra" HOUSES OF THE HOLY songs, that ended up, on PHYSICAL GRAFFITI?

All the leftover songs from prior albums were left off those albums for good reasons and they are the least interesting parts of Physical Graffiti.  They should have just put the best new songs on a single-LP verison of Graffiti and left everything else for future B-Side and etc collections

I agree...up to a point. Imo, PHYSICAL GRAFFITI wouldn't be PHYSICAL GRAFFITI without those songs, and besides, we've already got CODA.

There's a good reason that double albums are double albums. They let the material breathe and move, by giving it space. Why Led Zep chose to put those songs on the record, I have no idea. Perhaps it was a contractural obligation.

I know that PHYSICAL GRAFFITI is an exception to this rule, but, and again imo, it would be diminished by its truncation.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

All the leftover songs from prior albums were left off those albums for good reasons and they are the least interesting parts of Physical Graffiti.  They should have just put the best new songs on a single-LP verison of Graffiti and left everything else for future B-Side and etc collections

Couldn't disagree more!  "Night Flight" and "Down by the Seaside" are two of my favorite LZ songs.  I don't really care about when they were recorded, Physical Graffiti works for me as a front-to-back listen and I love every second.

Honestly, "The Rover" and "Houses of the Holy", which were left off of the previous album, are both way better songs than "The Crunge" or "D'yer Mak'er" which I think are two of the weakest songs the band ever recorded.

I guess this is our biennial-ish Led Zep debate that happens every now and then on JWFan :lol:

Well, I like all their songs and albums when it comes down to it.

A "weak" Led Zeppelin song is only weak compared to their own other work, it's still better than most rock bands could dream to be

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Well, I like all their songs and albums when it comes down to it.

A "weak" Led Zeppelin song is only weak compared to their own other work, it's still better than most rock bands could dream to be

We agree!  Which is why two of their weakest songs I still referred to as "pretty great" ;) 

But seriously I listened to "Night Flight" yesterday driving in the sunny warm weather and it felt so good.

He does praise Tony's piano part. Does Tony have a problem with Steve? Not familiar with any quarrels between band members, I'm afraid. 

I think that both have mellowed, in the intervening years, but, yes, there was friction between Steve and Tony, certainly after Peter left, (Peter was a champion of Steve), when Steve felt that his compositions were being overlooked, in favour of Tony's. One look at the writing credits for WIND AND WUTHERING and you have to admit that  Steve had a point.

The counter argument was that the group always chose those songs which all, or, at least, the majority, would feel comfortable performing, hence Phil turning his nose up ("can't get behind that, man") at the instrumental PLEASE DON'T TOUCH. I know that, now, Steve is generous in his praise for Tony, but it wasn't always so.

Wow, I never knew that! What a shame, because my favorite Genesis is the one that includes Hackett. 

So Phil was against playing this?

It's neither rock nor pop, really, but I've been kinda obsessing over Enya lately. I mean, I've had her masterpiece album SHEPHERD MOONS for decades, ever since I copied it to cassette from an LP my dad had borrowed (I subsequently bought it on CD a few years later), but never really explored her other studio albums. Now I pretty much have them all (in digital format). Back in the 90s and early 2000s, it would be considered a 'guilty pleasure' to like Enya - often lumped into the infamous 'New Age' category. But her general assessment, as well as my own personal enjoyment of her work, has grown considerably in the years since. I particularly like the religious undertones of many compositions. Maybe it has something to do with my age, I don't know, but I find myself more and more drawn to slow, beautiful and broad soundscapes like this.

21 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Thor,do you like Clannad, or Iona, or Capercaile?

Not back then, but I'm starting to re-appreciate them now. My next goal is to explore Clannad more (of which Enya was part). Been exposed to bits and pieces over the years (like "Harry's Game" on PATRIOT GAMES and that kind of stuff), but now is the time to properly listen to them.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, I always get Rashida Jones and Norah Jones confused, even though one is an actress and the other a musician. Both daughters of famous composers, but Norah has removed the 'Shankar' part of her surname.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a HUGE fan of Sufjan Stevens, and while I enjoyed his last album (Carrie and Lowell from 2015) I definitely missed the wildly ambitious and expansive albums that preceded it (Illinois and The Age of Adz).  So I'm pretty happy that the first song released from his new album, The Ascension, is 12.5 minutes long and titled simply, "America" (although the song is really more like 7 minutes long with a pretty, ambient coda)

It's the kind of track I'll need some time to digest, but I think I liked it on first listen.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 1:46 PM, Disco Stu said:

Randomly decided to listen to Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy today, which was my favorite album of theirs when I initially became a fan ca. 2002 (Physical Graffiti replaced it as my official favorite many years ago).  My current standing on HOTH: 5 songs are absolutely killer and among the greatest rock songs ever recorded and the other 3 songs are just pretty great Led Zeppelin songs.

The 5 I consider among the great rock songs ever:

The Song Remains the Same

The Rain Song

Over the Hills and Far Away

No Quarter

The Ocean

It's the three in the middle that are great, but drag the album a bit.

My favorite Zeppelin album, with “No Quarter” being my favorite Zeppelin song.