The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Is there anything better than driving somewhere scene on a sunny day with the windows down and/or roof off blasting The Ocean?

On 8/3/2020 at 4:17 PM, Jay said:

Is there anything better than driving somewhere scene on a sunny day with the windows down and/or roof off blasting The Ocean?

And annoying everyone around you? ;)

Zeppelin is fine, but I've never been a big fan. I don't know, maybe because it wasn't proggy enough. It also wasn't as straightforward as Creedence. Somewhere in-between, which is an area of rock I've never really grabbed on to.

• 3 weeks later...

It had completely passed me by that David Gilmour released a single earlier this year ("Yes, I Have Ghosts"), featuring his daughter Romany on harp and vocals. It's his first original song since the RATTLE THAT LOCK album 5 years ago. But I've been aware of where the song comes from, i.e. the audio book adaptation of A THEATER FOR DREAMERS by his wife Polly Samson. In addition to this quite lovely song, he also wrote a score for the audio book -- I'd certainly love to hear that at some point (although I'm not really interested in listening to an audio book; I need the music separately).

On 9/6/2020 at 3:20 AM, Disco Stu said:

I think my most controversial pop music take: Jimi Hendrix was a mediocre songwriter and shallow performer whose music is unjustifiably venerated.

Never a big fan, myself.

Im just not into heavy metal..But you can't deny his musical talent.

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

To get it, maybe you had to be there. All the music stars were impressed with Hendrix when they saw him live.

I know.

I said you can't deny his talent.

I'm just not big on heavy guitar solos.

On 7/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, Jay said:

What do Rush fans think of this recorded at home cover released yesterday?

It's not bad, and its certainly better than a home cover of TIME STAND STILL, which I heard, this afternoon.

I like the Rush references (that darn dragon; the rotisserie chickens) and it's played well, if a tad too fast. Not a bad effort.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Just a heads-up, guys. Tomorrow sees the rerelease of the greatest pop/rock record of the 80s, and one of the all-time top 10 greatest ever pop albums.

Best news is, it comes with 43 (43!!!) unreleased songs!

Order your copy, now!

And what is that, pray tell?

On 9/6/2020 at 1:19 AM, SteveMc said:

Emitt Rhodes died in July and I have been listening to his music since then.  Great artist.

This is exactly what I have been looking for for a long time.
And why I didn't know about the existence of Emitt Rhodes before

3 hours ago, EvaWills89 said:

This is exactly what I have been looking for for a long time.
And why I didn't know about the existence of Emitt Rhodes before

He's went under the radar for the most part, which was a pity. 

I found out about him because The Bangles covered his song "Live" on their debut album.

Ah, Prince.

I grew up with the guy's music all around me, but beyond the hits, I never explored his work much. It didn't really appeal to me at the time. I don't think I've listened to the whole SIGN O' THE TIMES album even once, for example. But I'm older and wiser now, so perhaps time to re-evaluate. Not with this rerelease, though, which seems like overkill. But the original album.

On 9/25/2020 at 2:15 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's never too late, my friend. SIGN O' THE TIMES is an absolutely stunning record.

"Starfish and Coffee" regularly gets stuck in my head out of nowhere.  I love when Prince gets psychedelic.

This song very randomly came into head this morning.  I haven't listened to Pavement much in years, but back when I was a huge fan I always thought this song and its album, Terror Twilight, were super underrated.

It's a great song!  The album is a classic rainy day listen for me.

"Major Leagues" is a fantastic song too.  I bet @Jay would enjoy these two songs, I consider Pavement to be sort of at least in the same general ballpark as 90s Weezer.  Sort of Beck meets Weezer in sound.

Interesting!  I never heard of Pavement in the 90s - maybe New England radio stations just didn't play them - but discovered them once I got XM and began listening to Lucy.  The song from them I know is "Cut Your Hair", which I like and have been meaning to check out more of their work.  I'll check these 2 out!

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Interesting!  I never heard of Pavement in the 90s - maybe New England radio stations just didn't play them - but discovered them once I got XM and began listening to Lucy.  The song from them I know is "Cut Your Hair", which I like and have been meaning to check out more of their work.  I'll check these 2 out!

I tend to gravitate toward their last 2 albums (Brighten the Corners, Terror Twilight) which were significantly mellower and bit more folk-rock oriented than the earlier more raucous albums (like "Cut Your Hair" which is no doubt a really fun song).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

F***ing A, Thor!

I remember hating it, when it was released. It took about 10 years to truly get under my skin, but get under it, it did!

Now I think that it's their greatest achievement.

Lush melodies, and sparse arrangements add up to an intoxicating package. Oh, yeah...and BEING BORING, quite simply their greatest song (*)

(with the possible exception of KING'S CROSS, and IT'S ALRIGHT - INTROSPECTIVE version :))

Huh, didn't realize they reunited again.  I never even heard anything from their last album.  Last new song from them I heard was when Rock 'n' Roll Train came out

Not negative, really. AC/DC can be loads of fun in the right circumstances. But I've never actively sought out their music for listening.