The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Bootsy Collins' latest album came out last week, and one tune on it has already entered my pantheon, alongside tracks like Caves of Altamira, of favorite songs that deal with childhood and loss of innocence (both also happen to be in F# minor).

....Also, the album features a sample of what sounds like Harrison Ford, and.....

the 2006 animated movie Barnyard :blink:

51 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's a good song

Good!? That's it!?

The opening lyrics about how the narrator reminisces about creating and exploring his own world amidst the relentless pace of society get me everytime...it can be a choking hazard if I'm in a certain mood.

The Divine Comedy is great. I was recommended them many years ago, and listened a bit then, but haven't returned to them after that, for some reason.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I have no avatar. That's the issue. I am going to get one. Promised. 

It's not "no avatar" for me. It's an img link to this URL:
https://www.jwfan.com/forums/uploads/set_resources_10/84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default_photo.png

Which gives me a 404 response, or a broken image placeholder where the avatar should be.

It shows the right generic avatar ibt he dark theme but a broken link in the default them. No idea why, since I put the same code in both last night 

• 2 weeks later...

Teenage Fanclub, a band whose music means a lot to me, has announced a new album to come out in the Spring, titled Endless Arcade.  They've released the track "Home" below.

I have very mixed feelings about it, as this is the first album they've recorded since my favorite songwriter in the group, Gerard Love, quit the band.  They had 30 years as a band with 3 songwriters where each writer basically got an equal number of songs on each album.  This album will I guess just split the songs between the remaining 2.

Anyway it's a typically lovely song, written by Norman Blake who is effectively the band's frontman.

• 4 weeks later...

Confession time: For a moment I thought this was a single from his soon-to-be-released new album 'Paul McCartney III'.

... and yes, I thought they used that app to make him look young again. 

I haven't really listened to any of McCartney's stuff since the Wings days. Is it any good? I remember that awful orchestral work he did a couple of decades ago; more annoying than even Roger Waters' opera CA IRA.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It seems to be a far more "live" record, than McCartney II, which was all DI.

I thought Paul McCartney I and II are studio albums with Paul playing all the instruments. I've heard 'III' will be a continuation of that.

They are. I meant that this record has a far more "in the studio" feel, than the "homemade", direct-to-mixing-console sound of II.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I haven't really listened to any of McCartney's stuff since the Wings days. Is it any good? I remember that awful orchestral work he did a couple of decades ago; more annoying than even Roger Waters' opera CA IRA.

It's patchy. I love McCARTNEY II, and TUG OF WAR, don't mind, PRESS TO PLAY, and FLOWERS IN THE DIRT, and can't stand PIPES OF PEACE and OFF THE GROUND. As for GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROAD ST....don't go there.

Of his...ahem...classical stuff, LIVERPOOL ORATORIO and STANDING STONE are quite good, and  ECCE COR MEUM isn't bad.

As for Waters...there is hope.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Great footage and editing!

I know, right, and that woman is hardly there. It looks like it was shot yesterday (no pun intended), and it looks a far cry from the mood of LET IT BE. Is Giles Martin involved, by any chance?

Interesting tempo change, at around 3.09.

Well I'm nice, once you understood the "character" I play. But English is not my primary language, I can manage to make some "okay" jokes sometimes, but not every ones are funny!

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

Well I'm nice, once you understood the "character" I play. But English is not my primary language, I can manage to make some "okay" jokes sometimes, but not every ones are funny!

All the world's, indeed, a stage, and we are merely players, performers and portrayers. Each another's audience, outside the guilded cage.

Living in the limelight...