The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Beatles footage looks great. I'm not a big fan of them, but these kind of cleaned-up video documents of history are always interesting (Jackson following his procedure on the excellent THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD). Cool to see a few glimpses of my musical hero, Alan Parsons, in there - sporting an orange shirt.

If I had to choose, yes. Although I'm well aware of The Beatles' influence on a lot of the music I love, be it Alan Parsons or Supertramp or whatever.

Yeah, that's weird. All my favorite bands or artists wouldn't exist if it wasn't for The Beatles. For that alone, I will always be a Beatles fan.  Not that I have anything against The Rolling Stones, but I've always leaned more towards 'adventurous pop/rock' as apposed to 'sex and drugs and rock & roll'. Delete The Rolling Stones and their influence from history and I wouldn't have missed much.

15 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Yeah, that's weird. All my favorite bands or artists wouldn't exist if it wasn't for The Beatles. For that alone, I will always be a Beatles fan.  Not that I have anything against The Rolling Stones, but I've always leaned more towards 'adventurous pop/rock' as apposed to 'sex and drugs and rock & roll'. Delete The Rolling Stones and their influence from history and I wouldn't have missed much.

I enjoy both. A little bit of raw Creedence rock'n'roll one day, and lofty Emerson, Lake and Palmer prog the next. :)

Don't know why The Beatles never appealed to me much. I had that blue and red album back in the day, and tried my best to get into their work. I can appreciate their songwriting, but somehow it never engaged me, emotionally.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm currently listening to a personal selection of tracks by Rush, to honour the memory of Neil Ellwood Peart, esq.

One year gone...but by no means forgotten

:rock:

This new article in Rolling Stone published today is an absolute must-read.  An in-depth article with the band and his widow being interviewed about his final years for the first time.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/neil-peart-rush-dead-cover-story-1110496/

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Serves you jolly well right! :lol:. Stick with OK COMPUTER, KID A, and IN RAINBOWS.

I know but I wanted to see if another listen would change my mind. 

King of Limbs is much better when you start listening from track 4 and leave out the first 3 ones. Then I find it really good. The annoying Click-Clack percussion of the first 3 tracks went in my nerves too much. 

13 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

King of Limbs is much better when you start listening from track 4 and leave out the first 3 ones. 

I'm going to try that! I might finally hear the end of the album.

Are we sure this isn't more of a Thom Yorke solo album?

22 minutes ago, AC1 said:

R.I.P. Phil Spector (81)

Producer and inventor of The Wall Of Sound.

You forgot 'convinced murderer'.

But the world forgave Michael Jackson for sleeping with little kids so it will only be a matter of time before we groove on River Deep - Mountain High again.

31 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Jackson was proven innocent, in a court of law, don't forget (nudge-nudge, wink-wink ;))

One day Macaulay Culkin, will have the courage to tell the truth about his false testimony.

Never even heard of him/them. Then again, this is far outside the type of music I listen to (it's funny when Jay shared that list of other genres we listen to in that other thread, I only had the first genre in common with him; the rest of his picks are/were things I've steered clear of).

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

Was this ever a band? I always thought, it's just this guy.

But yes, the album is brillant. 

Yea it was essentially Gregg Alexander solo under a band-style name, but it sounds like for the reunion they are getting back most of the same members that played on their album, as a lot of them seemingly live in Philly too

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Never even heard of him/them. Then again, this is far outside the type of music I listen to.

Click the first of my 3 videos, you will likely recognize it

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

Click the first of my 3 videos, you will likely recognize it

Alas no. I was sooooo far removed from whatever was going on at the contemporary pop and rock scene in the 90s. But it was better than I expected; more poppy, less grunge.

Why would you assume any random 90s band you'd never heard of was grunge?  Grunge was only ever a very small percentage of all 90s music, especially the late 90s when this band is from

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why would you assume any random 90s band you'd never heard of was grunge?  Grunge was only ever a very small percentage of all 90s music, especially the late 90s when this band is from

Because of the list you posted in the other thread. There was a lot of grunge and other forms of 90s rock that I never connected to there. And hence I thought this was more of the same.

Huh.  Strange connection to make but OK

New Radicals are more in the Fastball / Semisonic / Vertical Horizon / Gin Blossoms / Third Eye Blind / Goo Goo Dolls / Matchbox 20 world

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

New Radicals are more in the Fastball / Semisonic / Vertical Horizon / Gin Blossoms / Third Eye Blind / Goo Goo Dolls / Matchbox 20 world

Haven't heard of any of those either, except for Goo Goo Dolls. But I did glean some Supertramp influences in there, actually.

Among Gregg Alexander's influences were 70s soul and 80s pop, and you can hear the influence of Prince, Mick Jagger, Todd Rundgren, World Party and Hall & Oates throughout the album.

Yeah, that makes sense. Funnily, I found this old Norwegian review of the album (from 99), and it -- too -- points out the Supertramp "feel": https://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/cd-new-radicals/65504038

As you say, it's a mix of various 70s and 80s influences.

The Go-Gos are a different band than The Goo Goo Dolls

I don't know much about The Go Gos, but The Goo Goo Dolls had many hits - Name, Long Way Down, Lazy Eye, Iris, Slide, Dizzy, Black Balloon, Broadway, and then years later a cover of Give A Little Bit

2 hours ago, Jay said:

and then years later a cover of Give A Little Bit

Yes, that's how I knew about them in the first place, another Supertramp connection.

I'm going to their Belfast date (was originally scheduled for last Nov, then changed to this April ... and now Sep, fingers crossed it goes ahead!). 

Must admit the Gabriel-led prog stuff isn't my bag, much prefer their Collins-led post-Gabriel output.