The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

On 2/11/2021 at 9:30 AM, AC1 said:

Incantations, Hergest Ridge, Amarok...Oldfield's Holy Trinity.

Sorted :)

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, I knew. But I haven't checked it out yet.

Thor what do you think of FFS?

On 2/13/2021 at 9:06 PM, Falco said:

Speaking of Phil, apparently it is the 40th anniversary of Face Value's release

Indeed it is. It's also the 40th anniversary of MOVING PICTURES, released on the same day.

On 2/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, AC1 said:

He had a good voice during the early days of Genesis and Anthony Phillips, before he became a diva. 

Alex, are you a fan of Brand X?

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thor what do you think of FFS?

Never got around to them. I've never been a big Franz Ferdinand fan, but this particular collab seems interesting, at least.

14 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sorted :)

I liked Incantations back in the days when Oldfield was my god (indeed, multi-instrumentalists like Oldfield and Vangelis that didn't do the Rock & Roll thing were my gods because it's what I wanted to do) but now all these decades later I no longer see it as an essential Oldfield album. This week I listened to Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn and I enjoyed Hergest a little bit more but that's because I simply don't know it as well as Tubular Bells and Ommadawn. Not only do these 3 albums form a perfect unity, they are definitely his holy trinity, Richard, any pop/rock professor will tell you that. They are also the only ones that I thought are worthy of buying on CD. 

Whomp That Sucker! is my fave Sparks. Idk why, I just think every song is hilarious and catchy as hell. For some reason that and Angst In My Pants back-to-back have a lot of my go-to Sparks jams. 

"Now I've got a hobby, I collect frozen pizzas, check out my pizzas!"

Insane

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I liked Incantations back in the days when Oldfield was my god (indeed, multi-instrumentalists like Oldfield and Vangelis that didn't do the Rock & Roll thing were my gods because it's what I wanted to do) but now all these decades later I no longer see it as an essential Oldfield album. This week I listened to Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn and I enjoyed Hergest a little bit more but that's because I simply don't know it as well as Tubular Bells and Ommadawn. Not only do these 3 albums form a perfect unity, they are definitely his holy trinity, Richard, any pop/rock professor will tell you that. They are also the only ones that I thought are worthy of buying on CD. 

Alright, I'll give you that one.

HERGEST RIDGE is a quite beautiful record, full of pastoral gentleness, and OMMADAWN is almost a children's nursery rhyme. Both, imo, are better than TUBULAR BALLS.

INCANTATIONS, on the other hand, always was, and always will be, my favourite Oldfield record.

Btw, I am a rock/pop professor. They don't call me Professor Fart for no reason.

It's crazy to think as much time has passed now since Random Access Memories, as the time that past between it and Human After All

Sad news indeed.

Just last year, I reported on a possible new score from Daft Punk for an upcoming Dario Argento movie. That was later revealed to be just a possibility, not a confirmed assignment, but I had hoped it would come to be when the pandemic was over. Alas, that is not to be now.

Wow there's a whole big article about it

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/dario-argento-daft-punk-score-film-1202227634/

According to Argento, Daft Punk is currently writing music for the project and will be sending over demos in the near future. 

I mean, I sure they did write demos for him, and he just didn't like what they came up with and went with someone else, right?

No, apparently there was no official talks between them. It was just Argento wanting to work with them (and Daft Punk, on their end, having been Argento fans for a long time):

https://www.screendaily.com/news/dario-argento-producers-deny-reports-daft-punk-to-score-dark-glasses/5149383.article?fbclid=IwAR3Skd3dEt9h8-yqovEX-66EleSwgQe-enB4MBZKDAWXOi7OMpimZ8-Qoo0

But I think and hope it would have happened anyway, had circumstances been different.

Just watched the "Epilogue" video.....damn, I had to work really hard to hold back the tears. Daft Punk has meant a lot to me for much of my adult life.

I know they're notoriously secretive, but I hope we get to know some of the reasons for the break-up, and - more importantly - what's in store for Bangalter and de Homem-Christo separately now. If they have other collaborative projects lined up, if they're pursuing solo careers, whatever.

Coming out of retirement briefly to share a few words about Daft Punk. Growing up, they were easily among my favorite musical artists and are probably still in my top five. Their sound and style influenced my music tastes more than any other group. Really would’ve loved to see them dabble more in the realm of film scoring; their work on TRON: Legacy is nothing short of remarkable. Gonna miss them a lot. 

25307AD7-2499-4EF7-B347-A371A104162A.jpeg

One more time...

21 hours ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

Man, what really makes this tune so great (greater than we remember) is that iii chord.

I remember when he performed at my small town’s 4th of July fireworks show in the late 90s

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

New album from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis

Nice. Any new record, from Nick Cave is a cause for celebration.

On 2/25/2021 at 3:07 AM, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

Man, what really makes this tune so great (greater than we remember) is that iii chord.

What is the song? It says it's "unavailable".

My biggest Steely Dan hot take is that Everything Must Go is easily the better of the two comeback albums.  I love Two Against Nature but I’ve genuinely never understood why everyone thinks it’s so much better than its follow-up.  The latter has more of that songwriting focus I expect from the Dan, even on their longer songs of the classic era.  And the lyrics are way more interesting too.  Then again I also think that the two most recent Fagen solo albums are better than either of the Dan comeback albums.

It's good, and by anyone else's standards, it would be great.

There's some nice stuff on it - The Last Mall, Things I Miss The Most, Lunch With Gina, the title track, and my personal favourite Pixeleen - but nothing comes close to the awesomeness that is West Of Hollywood.

Divided opinion when it comes to Daft Punk ... on the one hand, Get Lucky is fantastic. On the other, Around The World is one of the most piss-annoying singles it has ever been my displeasure to hear. 

Why is he wearing the test card?

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

Around The World, while good, is a bit too monotonous or repetitive. 

Is that the one with the video of the dog-man walking around town, buying tapes? Boy, that was weird.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:33 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Divided opinion when it comes to Daft Punk ... on the one hand, Get Lucky is fantastic. On the other, Around The World is one of the most piss-annoying singles it has ever been my displeasure to hear. 

I loved early Daft Punk as a youngster, but yeah now I find listening to it like having people shove forks in my ears repeatedly.  I still love all of Random Access Memories though, especially the Paul Williams one.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I still love all of Random Access Memories though, especially the Paul Williams one.

Their best, and most accessible record, by far.

GET LUCKY is one helluva track. I remember dancing all around work, to that.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:34 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thank you both, especially for one of the best damn film scores that I've ever heard.

Indeed thanks to both Mr. Daft and Mr. Punk for one of the best scores of this millennium. And their ghost writer who actually received a credit. A good example for the rest of the industry.

Alex nailed it ... it was the fact that by way of lyrical content, Around The World just has that three-word phrase repeated ad infinitum. If you're going to make so little effort, just have it be an instrumental FFS.  

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Nothing wrong with that, Bil; its chock full o' goodies. Probably the greatest statement to emerge from the whole "second Summer of love"/"Madchester" thing.

PILLS THRILLS 'N' BELLYACHES isn't bad, either.

Don’t Stop is the only weak point for me. It basically being Waterfall backwards right after Waterfall is just... poor sequencing. 

But “I Wanna Be Adored”, “She Bangs the Drums”, and “Waterfall” is up there with Joshua Tree for best ever opening to an album. 

18 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ok. Now you've done it, @Bilbo! I'll have to check The Joshua Tree.

Top three opening songs, eh? Hmm. I'll think about that.

You’ve never listened to The Joshua Tree?!?!?

Wha'? :o Of course I have, Bil! :lol: I bought it when it was released, in 1987. I even bought the 20th anniversary release.

For the record (no pun intended), I think that THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE is better.

The tracks are great, but the side one running order is wrong.

It should be:

Where The Streets Have No Name/

Bullet The Blue Sky/

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/

With Or Without You/

Running To Stand Still.

Side two is fine :)

I'm not sure if anything beats the triple whammy of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/

With A Little Help From My Friends/

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.

The best Side 1, Track 1s that come to mind for me are

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Straight Outta Compton

Welcome to the Jungle

Cochise

Devil's Haircut

Pull Me Under