BACK IN THE U.S.S.R.,

THE BALLAD OF PETER PUMPKINHEAD,

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND (pts. 1-4),

DANCE ON A VOLCANO,

ELEVENTH EARL OF MAR,

BABYLON SISTERS,

GOING FOR THE ONE,

all do it, for me.

Sure, but aren't opening tracks supposed to be good? 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The best Side 1, Track 1s that come to mind for me are

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Straight Outta Compton

Welcome to the Jungle

Cochise

Devil's Haircut

Pull Me Under

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

TOM SAWYER,

WOMAN IN CHAINS,

BACK IN THE U.S.S.R.,

THE BALLAD OF PETER PUMPKINHEAD,

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND (pts. 1-4),

DANCE ON A VOLCANO,

ELEVENTH EARL OF MAR,

BABYLON SISTERS,

GOING FOR THE ONE,

all do it, for me.

Gimme Shelter

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

You're in it

Cool. So I hope people won't be annoyed if I occasionally post a cover and a sentence or two like I do in the film score thread.

30 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Thor, a lot of album covers are works of art, in themselves. Go right ahead.

https://www.stormstudiosdesign.com/

https://wimwords.com/the-hipgnosis-album-cover-gallery/

R-13121815-1548455706-9577.jpeg.jpg

I just wanted to post that cover, for laughs and giggles. But I'm also listening to it right now, a great album from my alltime favourite band (album is from 1971). Blues, rock, prog all combined. Very underrated in the Supertramp catalogue, as far as I'm concerned. I guess my favourite song has always been "Potter".

Do it! You can't go wrong with Supertramp. The tempo shits in "Remember" and "Coming Home To See You" are to die for as well.

You can. The last album I really adored was Brother Where You Bound. Free as a Bird already had just very few moments in my opinion. And I didn't care about anything that came after that.

15 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

You can. The last album I really adored was Brother Where You Bound. Free as a Bird already had just very few moments in my opinion. And I didn't care about anything that came after that.

I love BROTHER WHERE YOU BOUND. It's even film music (the title track)! And it has David Gilmour. I agree that FREE AS A BIRD only has a few moments, due - in part - to the fact that they had to record their tracks separately. There are some good things on SLOW MOTION, their last studio album. Worth a shot. Rick was going back to basics on that one.

Currently listening to Waters' latest, which is by no means another AMUSED TO DEATH, but far better than I had expected back in 2017.

ab67616d0000b2738c4d26d2520de391c8d7f0d0

This might be a surprise given my predilections, but I've never been a huge fan of Springsteen.  That is, except for one album which I've loved since I was very young: the early The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle.  There's a certain shambolic sprawl and stylistic breadth to it that I find appealing.  And his lyrics were never better, filled with shady characters and horny teens.

53 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This might be a surprise given my predilections, but I've never been a huge fan of Springsteen.  That is, except for one album which I've loved since I was very young: the early The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle.  There's a certain shambolic sprawl and stylistic breadth to it that I find appealing.  And his lyrics were never better, filled with shady characters and horny teens.

I have an incredible amount of respect for Springsteen. I read his autobiography, which I really enjoyed, and a few of his songs I absolutely love. His one man show was fantastic, and I love hearing his stories. And as you say, as a lyricist he's one of the best. Born to Run has a good argument as being the most quintessential rock song ever recorded. If got to choose one rock song to load onto deep space probe to show aliens what rock music sounded like, I'd probably choose Born to Run. Not because it's my favourite song of all time or anything like that (though I do love it), but because just about everything you can pour into a rock and roll record is crammed into that 4:32.

All that said, I can't say I put on a Bruce Springsteen record that often. I really can't relate to his themes or characters that much at this point in my life, and  I find much of his music depressing. And I've also grown a little weary of his politics and working man shtick.

So yeah, one of those artists that I have a great deal of respect for, recognize their immense talent and influence, but that I'm just not that into.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

I have an incredible amount of respect for Springsteen. I read his autobiography, which I really enjoyed, and a few of his songs I absolutely love. His one man show was fantastic, and I love hearing his stories. And as you say, as a lyricist he's one of the best. Born to Run has a good argument as being the most quintessential rock song ever recorded. If got to choose one rock song to load onto deep space probe to show aliens what rock music sounded like, I'd probably choose Born to Run. Not because it's my favourite song of all time or anything like that (though I do love it), but because just about everything you can pour into a rock and roll record is crammed into that 4:32.

All that said, I can't say I put on a Bruce Springsteen record that often. I really can't relate to his themes or characters that much at this point in my life, and  I find much of his music depressing. And I've also grown a little weary of his politics and working man shtick.

So yeah, one of those artists that I have a great deal of respect for, recognize their immense talent and influence, but that I'm just not that into.

There’s a sense of life and theatricality in those early records that disappeared by the late 70s IMO.  On Wild/Innocent the characters are all scuzzy greasy losers you’d find looking for trouble and whores on a Jersey boardwalk, the songs are positively brimming horniness.  All the working class factory hero shit came later.

More American Graffiti, less rust belt sadness.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There’s a sense of life and theatricality in those early records that disappeared by the late 70s IMO.  On Wild/Innocent the characters are all scuzzy greasy losers you’d find looking for trouble and whores on a Jersey boardwalk, the songs are positively brimming horniness.  All the working class factory hero shit came later.

More American Graffiti, less rust belt sadness.

"Theatricality" is a good way to describe it. Well put.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You not being a big fan of Bruce is absolutely the most surprising thing about your anodyne existence. 

On 3/1/2021 at 4:28 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Indeed thanks to both Mr. Daft and Mr. Punk for one of the best scores of this millennium. And their ghost writer who actually received a credit. A good example for the rest of the industry.

Daft Punk thanked Zimmer in the credits ;)

On 3/5/2021 at 9:05 AM, Jay said:

The best Side 1, Track 1s that come to mind for me are

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Straight Outta Compton

Welcome to the Jungle

Cochise

Devil's Haircut

Pull Me Under

9 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Well said.

His work afte DARKNESS is not of the caliber of the first four.

He basically decided to be Pete Seeger and stopped writing complex tunes, like BTR.

" Candy's Room" is his last great moment on record

Everybody agrees: BTR is the greatest song of all-time.

Btw I was lucky to see him TWICE at his peak during the 78 tour for DARKNESS.

Unbelievably great#

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There’s a sense of life and theatricality in those early records that disappeared by the late 70s IMO.  On Wild/Innocent the characters are all scuzzy greasy losers you’d find looking for trouble and whores on a Jersey boardwalk, the songs are positively brimming horniness. 

The first albums are heavily influenced by Dylan e.g.wordy songs like " Blinded by the Light".

He really stepped up his game in BTR

Bruce Springsteen is one of those iconic musical figures that nobody really dislikes, but one doesn't really have to be a fan either. In my childhood, BORN IN THE USA was all the rage, and I also got some pleasure out of my dad's LP of DARKNESS AT THE EDGE OF TOWN (which he had copied to cassette for me). In the 90s, my dad bought the GHOST OF TOM JOAD CD, which was also enjoyable. I got the 3CD live set from a classmate, which I still own (in fact, the only Bruce I have in physical format). All in all, I've been exposed to enough Bruce over the years that I consider him someone I can enjoy on occasion, when I'm in the mood, but by no means a fan. If that made sense.

Not a fan either. As someone who listened to Genesis, Yes, APP, Pink Floyd, Vangelis, et cetera, meant that someone like Springsteen was simply too 'earthy' for me. But I remember girls were into him.

I don't mind a bit of The Boss, every now and then. My favourite records are THE RIVER, followed by NEBRASKA. Although I could never get behind his (for me) faux blue collar stance, I accept that there is immense sadness, and disillusionment, at the heart of BORN IN THE U.S.A., which is an irony lost on a lot of fans.

His version of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town is great.

5 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Anyone else listened to Deep Purple's Machine Head album? Now this thing's a rockin' work of fun!

Yep.

MACHINE HEAD, BURN, IN ROCK, STORMBRINGER, PERFECT STRANGERS: they're all great records.

ab67616d0000b273cbb2fa9431851432b37494d5

Quick backstory: In the late 80s and 90s, Dire Straits was one of my favourite bands. Then went off them for the next 20 years or so (except for their masterpiece LOVE OVER GOLD, which I kept coming back to), but then lately I've gone back properly to everything I own, and been enjoying it immensely. Have all the studio albums and some Knopfler solo stuff (both studio albums and film music). This particular one, my dad got in 1996, after which I copied it to cassette and played it often. It's a more earthbound affair, less rock anthems.

5101602.jpg

Something Alex said earlier resonated with me (even though we often disagree on the quality of stuff). I was also particularly drawn to the 'heady' or ambitious art rock/prog rock/electronica in my formative years. At the same time, I've always been a big fan of ROOTS ROCK (Creedence, Steppenwolf, The Byrds, John Mayall, Billy Joel etc.). I guess my love of Dire Straits and Knopfler would fall into the latter.

I copied this final Dire Straits studio album to cassette off of a friend's CD upon release in 1991, and listened to it a lot. On my walkman or on my stereo. Listening to it again now for the first time in maybe 20 years, it strikes me how underrated it really is. It has some really awesome grooves (like in "The Bug" or "Heavy Fuel" or "Calling Elvis").

Not really a fan of Dire Straits (I loved Sultans Of Swing, of course, who didn't?) but I always had respect for their recordings and Knopfler's incredible guitar playing. It's one of 'those don't hate them/don't love them' bands for me. Same for Billy Joel.

Love Paul Simon (and Garfunkel too). In fact, I recently relistened to their Greatest Hits vinyl that I got from my dad, and all the memories kept flowing back. We'll have to agree to disagree on Joel and Dire Straits.

ab67616d0000b2731d4675d5a0345bb93686e4b6

Just to piss off Bruce! ;)

In all seriousness, this is the only Joel album I've really "owned", physically. My dad had copied it to cassette from one of his friend's LPs (this is a recurring theme, but there was a LOT of cassette copying at the time - it was how I got my music!), and at some point, he donated all of his taped cassettes to me. Took me a while to get used to his peculiar chord progressions and tempo shifts, but eventually I came to love it. Still my favourite of the Joel albums I've heard. 

17 hours ago, Thor said:

ab67616d0000b273cbb2fa9431851432b37494d5

Quick backstory: In the late 80s and 90s, Dire Straits was one of my favourite bands. Then went off them for the next 20 years or so (except for their masterpiece LOVE OVER GOLD, which I kept coming back to), but then lately I've gone back properly to everything I own, and been enjoying it immensely. Have all the studio albums and some Knopfler solo stuff (both studio albums and film music). This particular one, my dad got in 1996, after which I copied it to cassette and played it often. It's a more earthbound affair, less rock anthems.

I LOVE this album. :heart:

9 minutes ago, LSH said:

I LOVE this album. :heart:

In fact, I had to introduce it to my father a few years back. And he is a die-hard Dire Sraits fan (he actually followed them around the UK for the first 20 gigs of their first album tour, he loved them that much), but he never really followed up with their later (and Knopfler's solo) work. 

I had to show him that. :wave:

That's great. Good on you, LSH! To be fair, I only have that and SAILING TO PHILADELPHIA of his solo albums. He has a whopping 9 (his 9th is said to be the last too), so I've yet to explore many of those.

I admit that I prefer SAILING TO PHILADELPHIA, to GOLDEN HEART, but that's mainly because of James Taylor.

@Thor, when you say "9th", are you including LOCAL HERO and CAL?

I agree that LOVE OVER GOLD is their best, but I always return to DIRE STRAITS. In The Gallery is fantastic. They lost a lot, when Pick Withers left.

I haven't, no.

Most of my ol' favourites haven't been very productive in the last two decades. Both Supertramp and Hodgon's last studio albums were in 2001/2-ish. Nothing new since! Alan Parsons finally released a new one in 2019, but only after 15 years! There hasn't been any Pink Floyd since 1993 (THE ENDLESS RIVER is part of that, so I don't count it); Gilmour's last was in 2015, Waters released a new one in 2017 after a 25-year gap(!). Rammstein released their very last album in 2019, after a 10-year gap. Oingo Boingo died in 1995 already (even if "rock Elfman" is sorta coming back now). Manfred Mann hasn't done anything since 2004. Jarre has been very active in the last few years, but only after being relatively silent for much of the 2000s and early 2010s. I don't even know what's up with the 10CC and Jethro Tull guys. And so on and so forth.

But apparently, Knopfler is the odd one out. He has kept it going - steadily and consistently - for all this time without me really knowing about it. A shame he says 2018's DOWN THE ROAD WHEREVER is his last, because he should make it to 10 solo, at least (in addition to the Dire Straits and film music stuff).

Anderson disbanded Tull, a few years back, and 10cc haven't done anything for donkey's years, although they still tour. I'd like to see  Supertramp again, but Davies keeps putting the kybosh on any reunion, so...

At least Genesis are still going :).

35 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Anderson disbanded Tull, a few years back, and 10cc haven't done anything for donkey's years, although they still tour. I'd like to see  Supertramp again, but Davies keeps putting the kybosh on any reunion, so...

At least Genesis are still going :).

Yeah, but sans Gabriel. And isn't Collins' hands all shot to pieces due to the illness?

A Supertramp reunion will never happen. I've come to terms with that now. Davies and Hodgson seem further apart than Waters and Gilmour. But there have been other issues too, individually. Davies has actually had health issues for the last few years (but is fortunately on the mend now), which is why they had to cancel their 40th tour in 2015. Hodgson, meanwhile, is so content with touring constantly that he seems to have left the whole studio album thing behind. He's so spiritual, and seems to get a lot of energy from performing, that's all there is to it. I saw him live here in Oslo in 2010, the only time I've seen any of the Supertramp members live. It annoys me a bit that he's so obsessed with the live thing, as I know he has a HUGE catalogue of unreleased songs.

By the way, a couple of years ago I was surprised to find a new Davies interview on Youtube. He NEVER does interviews, so kudos to the guy who managed. But as you can imagine - if he hated doing interviews back in the day, it's even worse now that he's had health issues. He comes of as terse, irritable and probably wants to be anywhere else. Obviously doesn't help that the fanboy interviewer is kinda goofy.