The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does anyone like Enigma?

I happen to think that MCMXC a.D. is one of the best records of the 90s.

Yes! An indelible part of my formative years. I like Era and Deep Forest too, among the worldbeat groups that came out at that time. But Enigma most of all. It was very popular to dislike them back then, but thankfully - like Enya - they're starting to get the kudos they deserve these days.

ab67616d0000b2735eac2a9ca0ecf12e68c812a3

Sort of a follow-up album to TALES AND MYSTERY that the late Woolfson released in 2003. This is more in 'musical' territory, which is where he went after leaving APP - but the type of musical I can stomach, often very close to the already theatrical music they did in their heyday. I think it's excellent (although obviously not on the level of the original classic). There was an actual musical version too, which I also have, but I prefer this studio album recording.

ab67616d0000b273c4887bf9e3fa44d38181403d

Wild 80s, über-produced prog rock that is not for everyone, but I just love the combined forces of this "super group". Extremely sophisticated arrangements. This is the kind of stuff Alex will hate, but I think Richard will like. I love it!

On 4/2/2021 at 3:21 PM, Thor said:

ab67616d0000b2735eac2a9ca0ecf12e68c812a3

Sort of a follow-up album to TALES AND MYSTERY that the late Woolfson released in 2003. This is more in 'musical' territory, which is where he went after leaving APP - but the type of musical I can stomach, often very close to the already theatrical music they did in their heyday. I think it's excellent (although obviously not on the level of the original classic). There was an actual musical version too, which I also have, but I prefer this studio album recording.

Fuck, yeah!

On 4/3/2021 at 4:44 PM, Thor said:

ab67616d0000b273c4887bf9e3fa44d38181403d

Wild 80s, über-produced prog rock that is not for everyone, but I just love the combined forces of this "super group". Extremely sophisticated arrangements. This is the kind of stuff Alex will hate, but I think Richard will like fucking love! I love it!

Fuck, yeah!

3/5 of the classic Yes lineup, plus Tony Levin? What's not to like? Even the stuff on the abandoned second album, is good.

Naïve Old Fart is :music: MCMXC a.D. (again), so sod you all...except for @Thor  :lol:

R-1595939-1342163964-6251.jpeg.jpg

Hope this Discogs pic shows, because it's a very rare ELO compilation from 1994. Hard to find the correct cover online. Anyways, I have stories to tell about this, but right now it's the background music for cleaning my apartment, so see you in a bit.

ab67616d0000b273906ef19ab0f5a86bc8f42431

This is all Rabin, basically. I love it. Those expansive chords that Rabin does so well. I talked a bit about it in my interview with him here, especially a link between "I Am Waiting" and the theme from ARMAGEDDON. And then you have Roger Hodgson (of Supertramp fame - my favourite band) involved as well. Cool.

On 4/16/2021 at 7:19 PM, Thor said:

ab67616d0000b273906ef19ab0f5a86bc8f42431

This is one of my top 5 Yes records. STATE OF PLAY, and ENDLESSS DREAM, are absolutely brilliant.

15 hours ago, Falco said:

The best track on PERMANENT WAVES, by a country mile, and that's saying something.

15 hours ago, Thor said:

Always been curious, Falco -- are you, by any chance, a fan of "Rock Me Amadeus"? ;)

I like Rock Me Amadeus.

I also like Der Kommissar, but After The Fire's version is better.

I've been digging OK Human a lot this year.  Weezer continues to hit it out of the park for me with every album since the EWBAITE reboot.  A band that really isn't in my usual wheelhouse, but Rivers' (metaphorical) voice in middle age just clicks with me.

Oh wow I hadn't realized they released an entire different album after having to delay Van Weezer for a year.  I'll check it out!

Born in 1936 on April 23, Roy Orbison would have turned 85 years old. Few artists who attended the birth of Rock'n'Roll had the chance to perform a successful comeback like Roy Orbison did with "Mystery Girl".

176875827_4496308863718249_516937839902692931_n.jpg

8 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Would he like the Travelling Willburys without Roy Orbison?

There are only two albums of The Travelling Wilburys. The first one is called "Volume 1" and the second, "Volume 3".

We call that "respect".

33 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Not really familiar with the band's history, what happened to Vol.2?

Look at the first and second Traveling Wilburys videoclip, I think you'll understand...

I like the new persona @His Royal Noelness although I'm sorry to say I've never been much of an Oasis fan.  The closest I come is that I love "Let Forever Be" by The Chemical Brothers, which also has a classic Michel Gondry music video.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I like the new persona @His Royal Noelness although I'm sorry to say I've never been much of an Oasis fan.  The closest I come is that I love "Let Forever Be" by The Chemical Brothers, which also has a classic Michel Gondry music video.

I like Let Forever Be but Setting Sun is the better of his two songs with the Chemical Brothers. 

They also did a remix of Falling Down much much later so I guess that’s a trilogy of songs of Noel trying to write Tomorrow Never Knows!

So Noel Gallagher is putting out a greatest hits compilation based on only three albums *and* that greatest hits comp is 2 discs?!?!  Deeply silly.  Anyway, in the age where anyone can make a Spotify playlist, greatest hits comps have never seemed more passé.  CC @His Royal Noelness 

https://pitchfork.com/news/noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds-to-release-greatest-hits-share-new-song-listen/

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Too late! You've told Bilbo. We'll never hear the end of it.

Oh I’ve already bought the super deluxe edition! I was even listening to the radio for the first play on BBC this morning. 

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

So Noel Gallagher is putting out a greatest hits compilation based on only three albums *and* that greatest hits comp is 2 discs?!?!  Deeply silly.  Anyway, in the age where anyone can make a Spotify playlist, greatest hits comps have never seemed more passé.  CC @His Royal Noelness 

https://pitchfork.com/news/noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds-to-release-greatest-hits-share-new-song-listen/

He’s got his own record label so the staff there need paying and it’s not like he can make money from touring at the moment. It’s 2cds but it’s only 18 tracks. Two of which are brand new so that’s cool. And it’s basically 4 albums worth of material to pick from because since the third album he’s released 3 standalone EPs so there’s about 9 songs there not including remixes. Then there’s a bonus disc full of brand new goodies which is what the fans will be buying it for, including a 3rd unreleased track. 

But I don’t see the issue with an artist putting out any sort of release. If people just want the new tracks they’ll be able to stream them or just buy them individually on iTunes. 

Everyone’s a winner!

Oasis, Shmoasis, let's get back to some REAL music! ;)

ab67616d0000b273ad9f2d24f035557ca26e628e

This 1983 album is the latest one I own of 10CC (I own 8 in total), and it's obviously not on par with their earlier albums. But it's still Godley/Creme goodness without that actual dynamic duo, IMO.