The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

When it comes to those old musicals, I remember one of my first LPs was Zero Zero from 1981, a bizzar science fiction video musical of Mike Batt with the old story that humanity erased emotions from their lives after 7 world wars to be able to survive. And the main character discovers love and needs to get healed afterwards. I liked the mixture of pop music and orchestral score. Was for me long time the reference for such kind of music. The video didn't age good. But the music I still find particularly interesting.

Anyone else know that?

Just now, Thor said:

To those of us without access to BBC, what’s it about?

It is up on YouTube if you search for it, though maybe not in Europe.

Collins is in pretty bad shape.  According to him, he can't even hold his drumsticks let alone drum anymore.  

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

To those of us without access to BBC, what’s it about?

About the upcoming tour, and "putting it to bed"

7 hours ago, SteveMc said:

It is up on YouTube if you search for it, though maybe not in Europe.

Collins is in pretty bad shape.  According to him, he can't even hold his drumsticks let alone drum anymore.  

He'll probably sit on a chair and just sing. Don't know why they want this to be the last image or memory of Genesis.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

He'll probably sit on a chair and just sing.

He intends to do just that.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Don't know why they want this to be the last image or memory of Genesis.

It won't be mine. I can afford neither the price of the ticket, or the air fare to get me to Glasgow.

Still, I've got Twickenham, 2007, to look back upon :)

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie, aka "I Want To Fuck You Senseless".

Everything was charming in its innuendo, back then.

OMG, it all finally makes sense to me!

Latest rescheduled date of Genesis' Belfast gig was supposed to be this Saturday, but due to the dithering over the reopening of indoor venues here it's postponed again. New date yet to be announced.  

On 9/13/2021 at 8:49 AM, AC1 said:

OMG, it all finally makes sense to me!

Ah! Take a smidgen of AWB, at the beginning, and add a heavy dollop of Isley Brothers guitar, and you've got yourself a dance classic.

I remember hearing this swooping over me, from the rear of the cinema, to the front, while watching the beginning of CONTACT.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:32 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Latest rescheduled date of Genesis' Belfast gig was supposed to be this Saturday, but due to the dithering over the reopening of indoor venues here it's postponed again. New date yet to be announced.  

They'd better get it up, otherwise Nic might find himself singing, as well as drumming!

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Indeed. Needs to happen before Collins is whisked off to the 'No More Encores' Rest Home For Bewildered Elderly Rock Stars. 

I guess it's better than the Fletcher Memorial Home For Incurable Tyrants And Kings :lol:

If I picked 5 albums to be the "Torah" of Jangle Pop, The Bats' Daddy's Highway would be there.

(For the record, three other shoo-ins for the jangle pop Torah would be REM's Murmur, The La's self-titled album, and The Smiths' The Queen is Dead.  I'd have to think harder about what the last one would be)

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I envy you. Even without Becker, the Dan is still a potent, and relevant, band.

Drive west, turn that jungle music down, and have a great time!

If I'm brutally honest, Becker wasn't really an essential member of the live band anyway.  Obviously he was absolutely essential to the songwriting/production when they were making records which makes him always a legend, but for the live show Fagen was always the star attraction.

Call me a philistine, but when the Genesis gig here finally happens I'm hoping for a strong focus in the setlist of what Cremers described ... I am familiar with the Collins-sung hit singles so they're what I want to hear, am not interested in the meandering prog-rock if I'm honest.    

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

More commerce than art. More Phil 'hit parade' Collins than Genesis. More Thor than Alex.

I agree...up to a point.

For all of Collins' "influence", one person remains the true guiding force, behind Genesis. His compositional style, and playing, drives the music, and the group, forward, in a way that Collins couldn't even hope to achieve. He's the true force in Genesis.

I'm not really a hardcore Genesis fan anymore. A friend of mine came to the same conclusion. In fact, the only album is still loves to this day is 'The Lamb Lies down On Broadway'. For me it's 'Selling England By The Pound'. It's the 'Close To The Edge' of Genesis. 

And even though I've called him Phil 'Hit Parade' Collins, it's actually because of a hit that I learned about Genesis:

Needless to say, I respect Phil Collins. The prog of the '70s couldn't last, they needed to adapt to the '80s or it was game over for Genesis, and with the help of Phil, who was charasmatic* on MTV and a hit machine, they managed to do just that.

*:

The_famous_Charisma_label.jpg

21 hours ago, AC1 said:

'Selling England By The Pound'. It's the 'Close To The Edge' of Genesis. 

Does that make THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY, the TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS, of Genesis? :lol:

Hey, @His Royal Noelness, have you seen what's happened to your brother?

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does that make THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY, the TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS, of Genesis? :lol:

Absolutely, Richard! It's no accident that Tales From Topographic Oceans is the favorite Yes album of my friend, you know, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway guy. He always seem to love these very extensive works. 

On 9/18/2021 at 2:30 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ladies, and germs, please put your hands together, and don't forget to look up, on the wall, for ABACAB.

40 years old, today!

:wizard:

My first Genesis album (along with Trick of the Tail)

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I'm going to have to guess, because the video is not available ... Wind & Wuthering?

I can't see it here either.

A TRICK OF THE TAIL and WIND AND WUTHERING are often paired, and with good reason.

So, which is it, @Grace Under Pressure?

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I can't see it here either.

A TRICK OF THE TAIL and WIND AND WUTHERING are often paired, and with good reason.

So, which is it, @Grace Under Pressure?

The video is Dodo / Lurker

13 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, 'ere 'e is. His fookin' Noelness.

Your bro's not looking too good, is he? :lol:

"...another band". Go on, say it. Say the name.

I don't dislike the "other band" but I think it's unfair on both bands to define them by that incident. Probably both band's wort singles!

Liam had a fight with gravity. Gravity won. 

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

This is neither rock or pop (I think), but it's definitely not classical either and I absoultely wanted to share this one: my Irish hosts played it in the car a few days ago and I am totally hooked on it now:

I would say, the common term for this kind of music is "folk".

On 04/09/2021 at 3:32 PM, GerateWohl said:

When it comes to those old musicals, I remember one of my first LPs was Zero Zero from 1981, a bizzar science fiction video musical of Mike Batt with the old story that humanity erased emotions from their lives after 7 world wars to be able to survive. And the main character discovers love and needs to get healed afterwards. I liked the mixture of pop music and orchestral score. Was for me long time the reference for such kind of music. The video didn't age good. But the music I still find particularly interesting.

Anyone else know that?

What a coincidence. I'm soon going to watch a film about some Zero Zero Seven.