The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps not surprising - doesn't Benny have his own kind of dance band?

Well, that's how the band started. The Swedish dance band scene. But they fortunately progressed beyond that over the years.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Well, that's how the band started. The Swedish dance band scene. But they fortunately progressed beyond that over the years.

I'm referring to the post-ABBA years - Benny Anderssons orkester. But it might be more folk than dance.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Or folk dance.

Or fairy dance...

22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I like this new song, and...I'm still in love (sigh). Whenever I see Frida, I know something's going on :)

Agnetha >>>> Frida

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I can't take that anesthetized Eurodisco stuff.  I'll listen to Chic and KC/Sunshine Band and Kool and the Gang.  Down and dirty funky American disco ;) 

Don't forget Rick James, Parliament, and Funkadelic. Tell me something good, and add Rufus and Chaka Khan.

For some reason I've had Badfinger's "Blodwyn" stuck in my head all morning.  No idea why, I haven't heard it anywhere recently, but I'm not complaining. What a great band.  Pete Ham is one of the most under-praised songwriters of that era.

It's always great when you find stuff, complete albums that just seem to scratch your every itch, that you can get lost in, discovering, relistening for days without getting tired of any of it. I felt that way with The Beatles and Abbey Road, I felt that way with The Wall, and now completely out of nowhere I'm deep down the hole with All My Demons Greeting Me As A Friend!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lPp0lBnb_oy79CHv5Btub_-QCDsgT_iZ8

A new Rod Stewart song/video that must be heard/seen to be believed how bad it is.  I mean my God there was at least something like dignity to the awful American Songbook albums, this is just so embarrassing.

I still think that from 1968-1975, Rod Stewart was making some of the greatest rock music of all time though.  Faces at their best were better than the Stones.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's all relative. Yes, it's dog shit. I suspect that even Rod knows it's dog shit, but compared to most modern crap, it's high class dog shit.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611966e8086560a895279

I don't understand this comparison.  "Well this cow shit doesn't smell nearly as bad as this horse shit" is not a positive argument?  If I want to hear good music being made today by aging 70s rock stars, I can listen to Robert Plant, I don't have to listen to Rod Stewart's risible crap.

It's new and it's great!

Was listening yesterday again to Bang Goes the Knighthood and thought again, Down in the Streets below sounds very ABBA style musically. Like good ABBA. 

It is something about the chords and the melody. Just Frieda's second voice in the chorus is missing.

11 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Like good ABBA. 

Talking about good ABBA, I couldn't make it through the first ABBA song from their new album. Mostly because of their aged voices. They have grannie voices, which is to be expected, but still ...