The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

katie-melua---album-no_-8------deluxe-ed

I was never fan of Katie Melua but I bought her latest album because it's pretty good. I don't know what changed but it's her first album where producer Mike Batt is nowhere in sight. It feels like she's grown up now.

g9vyyi-liberty-preview-m3.jpg

Another album I listen to regularly these days on the streaming services is 'Liberty' by Anette Askvik. 

On 25/9/21 at 12:11 AM, His Royal Noelness said:

Oasis Knebworth 1996. Saw this tonight and it was amazing. Loads of music from both nights obviously but this was all about the fans and their experience. They got a nice sized bunch to reminisce and it’s just crazy how much the world has changed in 25 years. I was too young to even know who oasis were but the doc brought back memories of when I saw them in Slane in 09 and the experiences around that. It’s great being able to buy tickets from my phone while in bed but I kinda miss the comraderie of queuing up outside a shop to get tickets. 

August 1993 oasis didn’t have a record deal and had played a handful of pubs. August 1994 they release their debut album. August 95 and their making the evening news because they’re in a chart battle with another band. August 1996 they played the largest free standing gigs in British history. 2.7% of the population applied for tickets. It’s just insane how quick it all blew up. 

88F41715-4C48-4FAC-8A46-6EFBE07979EF.jpeg

I couldn’t get through on the Knebworth ticket lines back in the day,  Spent 25 years regretting not just showing up and touting it! 

On 14/11/21 at 12:40 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I guess you could call it that.

My favourite solo Waters will always be RADIO K.A.O.S., but I like most things he's done. I even like ÇA IRA.

#TeamAmusedToDeath

14 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

#TeamAmusedToDeath

Same team here. Masterful album, by far the best of the solo Waters. But I like them all. With the possible exception of THE BODY soundtrack, which I kinda like, but which is also so weird, it becomes alienating at times.

Brian is so used to repeating the same narrative and anecdotes to press at this point it's just reflexive.  I get it, too.  Even moreso than any Beatle, his legacy rests entirely on 1962-1967, no matter how many cult fan favorites there are from after that period (I say this as a giant Wilson fan).

But also, I don't want to come off as harsh, but his decades of mental illness and drug abuse have left him a bit.... simple minded.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I really like HOLLAND.

Sail On Sailor, is, probably, my favourite Beach Boys song.

I love a LOT of Beach Boys music from that '68-'73 period, but my contrarianism can't run deep enough to say any of them are my favorite by the group overall.  I mean... come on.  "God Only Knows" exists.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's a different vibe, for The Divine Comedy.

I like it.

I've always wondered what a Neil Hanlon/Paddy McAloon collaboration would sound like.

I've got into the phase of listening to it over and over... it's just such a lovely song. I'm not sure I'd say it was much of a departure from his usual style, but love how lush it is especially after the electronica heavy Office Politics (which I'm only partially warming to... at least relative to his other albums). I really wish he'd go all out with a big orchestral album sometime...

Interesting, I do love a bit of Prefab Sprout, although haven't enough any of their albums more than Andromeda Heights which is just gorgeous and the first one I bought. Terry Wogan used to play Electric Guitars, Prisoner of the Past and the titular track on a loop on Wake Up to Wogan (as well as I Don't Want to Be Alone by the Bee Gees). I think their styles would mesh though, albeit at the pop end of Neil's output.

@Tom Guernsey, you really need to hear Prefab's JORDAN: THE COMEBACK, SWOON, STEVE MCQUEEN, and FROM LANGLEY PARK TO MEMPHIS. They are all towering pieces of pop personification.

What do you think of Hanlon's version of The Good Life, as heard in GANGSTER #1?

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Tom Guernsey, you really need to hear Prefab's JORDAN: THE COMEBACK, SWOON, STEVE MCQUEEN, and FROM LANGLEY PARK TO MEMPHIS. They are all towering pieces of pop personification.

What do you think of Hanlon's version of The Good Life, as heard in GANGSTER #1?

I do have Jordan: The Comeback and will give it another listen. Also have Crimson/Red and Let's Change the World With Music but not the other two albums but I'll check them out, thanks!

As for The Good Life... I've not seen the film, but it's a nice version!

16 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's a different vibe, for The Divine Comedy.

I like it.

I've always wondered what a Neil Hanlon/Paddy McAloon collaboration would sound like.

The vibe of the song and particularly the harmonies remind me strongly of "Norma and Norman" from Office Politics.

Very happy that Hannon is working on new stuff.

21 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Swoon and Steve McQueen, yes.

Paddy McAloon became too soft and corny because he wanted to conquer America. He even sang about it. 

Hey Manhattan ! Here I am ! Call me star-struck Uncle Sam.
Strolling Fifth Avenue
Just to think Sinatra's been here too
These myths we can't undo they lie in wait for you
We live them till they're true,
Manhattan doobie doo. Hey Manhattan doobie doo.

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Nice documentry for the 30th anniversary.

I don’t know how I’ve not watched this yet. Must rectify.

I wish The Best Mistakes was the first single for a new regular album… I may have breached the maximum recommended dose of this song. I’ve had to force myself to listen to other stuff today. But with The Best Mistakes unceremoniously inserted at random points. 

55 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I don’t know how I’ve not watched this yet. Must rectify.

I wish The Best Mistakes was the first single for a new regular album… I may have breached the maximum recommended dose of this song. I’ve had to force myself to listen to other stuff today. But with The Best Mistakes unceremoniously inserted at random points. 

:) Yes, I think, I heard the song today about five times, too. The greatest hits album "A Charmed Life" comes out in February. And the 3 CD Super Deluxe version of that will contain a bonus album with new songs. Until then we have to live with what he published so far.

By the way, do you know this one. It was a left over from the Office Politics sessions.

12 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

:) Yes, I think, I heard the song today about five times, too. The greatest hits album "A Charmed Life" comes out in February. And the 3 CD Super Deluxe version of that will contain a bonus album with new songs. Until then we have to live with what he published so far.

By the way, do you know this one. It was a left over from the Office Politics sessions.

3CD set already ordered! Although I created the actual 2CD version as a playlist and enjoyed how it played. There's more variety of style compared to his first best of (A Secret History) and probably a couple of tracks I'd have picked differently, but hopefully it'll entice a whole new generation of fans. Look forward to the third disc of extras. Can't believe there's anything left after the boxed set. I forgot about Outside, thanks for the reminder, think it counts as the obligatory Covid inspired song!

Ever have a song that you haven't heard in years just suddenly get stuck in your head out of nowhere?  Acid Gallery's "Dance 'Round the Maypole" has been in my head on a loop for hours now.

Randy Newman's "Rollin'" is one of the saddest songs I've ever heard.  It's a Newman specialty, to pair lyrics that are really quite bleak behind their irony with beautiful uplifting music.

"Guilty," also about the same character's substance abuse, might be more straightforwardly sad, but I find the self-delusion of "Rollin'" to be infinitely sadder.

Well, it didn't take me long to get this: :D

Beatles-Let-It-Be-Super-Deluxe-Box-Set-1

Will be making my way through slowly, first just familiarising myself with Disc 1, the base album. Now on second listen I like a lot of the individual songs a lot after seeing Get Back, but what a strange and messy assembly this is. I could take the terribly overproduced ones if maybe they were just on one side - this Long and Winding Road feels so much like a finale! Make Side A the intended live album with the rooftop performances and chatter and more raw mix and fly on the wall and short jams included and make Side B a sappy Farewell to The Beatles with more structure, that'd at least be something, but this random mix and match doesn't work. The primary reason I got the big box for this and not the smaller 2CD one like I did for Pepper, White (Okay, 3CD) and AR is the inclusion of the Glyn Johns mix on disc 4, can't wait to get to that one!

Huh. Yeah, I guess so! Along with all the other things I ordered. I can cry less about the price then.

Already on third listen I think Side A is okay, the reworked tracks are built up to, Side B's opening choice is great, reminds me of being at grandma's and putting a record on, it's mostly the second half and especially end of Side B that I feel are weakly done.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That song needs the lush orchestration to work.

From what I heard of it in Get Back, I'm leaning towards agreeing. It still could be toned down a bit. Now Across the Universe, that really doesn't need choirs and all that, it could use some of the psychedelic stuff they had been doing for years.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Let’s face it, it’s not among Paul’s strongest work, especially when sat next to the incredible “Let It Be.”

I thought we were talking about Let It Be.

Beatles-Let-It-Be-Super-Deluxe-Box-Set-1

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Now Across the Universe, that really doesn't need choirs and all that, it could use some of the psychedelic stuff they had been doing for years.

This has always been my personal favorite version (there are so many), but that's probably just because it was randomly the first one I ever heard

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No it doesn't. It needs to be presented as The Beatles intended it to be presented, and not tarted-up by some homicidal Yank.

OK then it's just a mediocre Beatles song, there are a few of those

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Soon they'll demand a naked version of Peter Skellern's You're A Lady.

Never, dude! You're A Lady is just fine as it is. It's a great, great song.

What's next? A naked version of John Miles' Music? :lol:

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

OK then it's just a mediocre Beatles song, there are a few of those

Not at all. I just object to some American interloper faffing around with Merseyside's finest.

I like the song...but I'll only listen to the NAKED version, because that's what The Beatles intended.