The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

I noticed that Weezer's "Island in the Sun" was one of the 50 most streamed songs of 2021 on Spotify and that for streams it vastly outstrips songs like "Buddy Holly" and "The Sweater Song".

Is there some reason it went viral in 2021?  Was it used in some tiktok thingymabob?

image.png

Old songs only get super popular like that on Spotify when there's some viral trigger!  For instance, "Hotel California" was also randomly super popular on Spotify this year but I know why that happened: it was notably used as a running joke in the Marvel movie Shang-Chi.

Well, Glyn Johns' original Get Back is not exactly the greatest Beatles album, a total gem hidden for decades by corporate evilness and Spector's dark heart, but once you take into consideration its intended purpose and idea and the roughness of the mix, it's a damn good fun flowing rollick, a lot better paced than Let It Be! I was right, Long and Winding Road is very much a finale track, even in this stripped back manner which in this context isn't bad at all. Let It Be, which I've probably known since I was born through... you know, being a human and being alive, is so damn strange to hear in a different mix! The vocal has echo and the organ is mixed louder, further amplifying the souly churchiness, and the overdubbed guitar solo is gone! Messes with your head when the same take suddenly continues differently than how you know it should go. Across the Universe is a big loss but it's on the EP without the orchestration and you get Don't Let Me Down and more fun messing around instead.

I guess I'll try Let It Be Naked too, not included on this set, as far as I can tell it's more of a de-Spectorised Let It Be, while this earlier Get Back assembly is different in many more ways.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I noticed that Weezer's "Island in the Sun" was one of the 50 most streamed songs of 2021 on Spotify and that for streams it vastly outstrips songs like "Buddy Holly" and "The Sweater Song".

Is there some reason it went viral in 2021?  Was it used in some tiktok thingymabob?

image.png

This was posted in January with 475k views haha, idk if that's enough but that may be the answer. 

Otherwise they did have two albums + Hella Mega, so maybe another boost from Weezer being on people's brains and "Island" could simply be the most popular now. The tour was over the summer too so people could have been feeling like summery Weezer. 2021 was 20th anniversary of Green Album if that means anything. I have no idea how any of this works anymore.

ab67616d0000b273ea76f5beeb17b7add61ec120

My first Rolling Stones album. Bought on CD in the mid 90s. Well, it's either this or STICKY FINGERS, I can't remember. By that time, I had obviously heard a great deal through my dad's collection, but didn't own anything myself. Interestingly, "Paint it Black" (which is not on this album) was probably my first exposure to their music, but only through an "LSO Plays Classic Rock" album from the 80s.

23 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Andrew Lloyd Webber probably did, and figured if they could get away with something like that, so could he.

Which Andrew Lloyd Webber song are you referring to?

(BTW, I'm glad somebody here heard the James Bond connection. I don't think Gilmour realized it.)

Ah, yes, that one. I thought you meant Webber pulled off a James bond too.

Not sure if Pink Floyd was first with that riff, I think others have used it too, just can't remember who.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Not sure if Pink Floyd was first with that riff, I think others have used it too, just can't remember who.

It's the same key too, if I remember correctly (d minor?). Wikipedia has a section on how Waters considered suing LW for plagiarism, but doesn't mention any other similar works (for that bit).

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Phantom is in A-sharp minor, Echoes is in C-sharp minor.

Then I didn't remember correctly. But at least the Phantom piano book I have does put it in (a fitting) Dm.

I've strongly disliked that song from the moment I first heard it and never changed my mind

Though that's true of every Killers song I've ever heard

2008-2010 I worked across 3 different Barnes & Noble college bookstores and all 3 stores would play that horrible Killers song that goes "ARE WE HUMAN... OR ARRRRE WE DANCER" at least twice every shift I worked.

15 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Killers are great, you whinging gits! 

Their first two albums are stellar. After that, there's a noticeable drop in quality. 

It was recently brought to my attention that her wonderful " Hounds of Love" is a ' concept album ( or one side, at least).

Can someone ' splain it to me?

What is " Hello Earth" about?

Thank you for your cooperation, citizens!

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's out Kate. :)

She is gay?!

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

It was recently brought to my attention that her wonderful " Hounds of Love" is a ' concept album ( or one side, at least).

Can someone ' splain it to me?

What is " Hello Earth" about?

Thank you for your cooperation, citizens!

She is gay?!

No, she's not gay.

The Ninth Wave, is, actually, side two of the record.

THE HOUNDS OF LOVE has been in my life for over 36 years, and I've still no idea what it's all about.

My Kate Bush story is kinda weird. My dad had copied one of her albums to a cassette in the 80s (I think he had borrowed the LP from a friend), and his cassettes were subsequently donated to me. I believe it was THE KICK INSIDE. I tried to listen to it, and hated it. Moany, whiney voice. Years later, I found out she had been discovered by my big hero Dave Gilmour, so I had to give it another shot. If Gilmour likes this, I have to too! Well, I didn't at first. Still moany. But as years went by, I came to discover the subtleties of her music, and now I quite like her. Weird how these things happen.

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm with you, Alex. I prefer the latter.

The second disc of Aerial is a standalone concept album, meant to be listened to in its entirety. It appears that I'm still a sucker for that, as it is my favorite 'disc' of the two.