The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Kinda weird interview. Parsons is often a bit aloof in interviews, that other guy was rather weird (but I got kinda used to him over the course of the conversation). Also, there wasn't much deep insight in the discussion of sonics, despite the potential being there. It's also not a topic that interests me as much as the music itself.

Either way, I would like to interview Parsons myself. It would be a completely different conversation -- more about the aesthetics of it all as we walk through his albums. I've seen some earlier attempts at this (there were some posted earlier in the thread with an equally weird guy in some yellow room or something), but they've been unsatisfactory.

Never heard of him, never seen his face. Googling him, I’ve vaguely heard about Porcupine Tree, but don’t believe I’ve ever heard a single note of his music. 

One of their albums is a concept album about humanizing the experience of various traumatic events, a single 55 minute composition broken up into tracks on the CD like this centerpiece track

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Kinda weird interview. Parsons is often a bit aloof in interviews, that other guy was rather weird (but I got kinda used to him over the course of the conversation). Also, there wasn't much deep insight in the discussion of sonics, despite the potential being there. It's also not a topic that interests me as much as the music itself.

Either way, I would like to interview Parsons myself. It would be a completely different conversation -- more about the aesthetics of it all as we walk through his albums. I've seen some earlier attempts at this (there were some posted earlier in the thread with an equally weird guy in some yellow room or something), but they've been unsatisfactory.

I thought it was odd that both seems to regard 'analog' as the superior medium yet they only use 'digital' (Parsons: "Who uses tape anymore? Hahaha"). 

I know Steven Wilson mainly as a remaster/remix engineer. Can't say his music/voice appeals to me so that's all the more reason for you to check him out, Thor. 

"The aesthetics of it all"? They talked about the sound of a bass drum and how they hardly recognize it when recorded digitally. It doesn't get more about about aesthetics than that! ;)

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Very sad news from the Nick Cave family :(

Specification is always nice for those who didn't catch the news. Appears he's lost his second son. Tragic.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-nick-cave-son-dies-26916105

Breakfast In America is obviously their masterpiece. Funny, I always preferred Roger Hodgson over Rick Davies and now I learn (through this video) that he was the Beatles fan while Rick Davies was more into rock blues music. I've said this before, but all the artists that I've liked in my life were a fan of the Beatles or started a band because of The Beatles. Paul MaCartney said The Logical Song was the best song of that year and that must have been quite an honor for Hodgson.

Anyhoo ...

I don't know if people remember this but a gazillion years ago this weird Fleetwood Mac song entered the charts ...

And apparently ... it's still a thing! :o

The '70s were definitely the most musically diverse, open-minded decade for popular music. 

There's is no doubt in my mind, that CRIME OF THE CENTURY is Supertramp's masterpiece. I.m.o., the best thing they ever recorded was Fool's Overture (with the possible exception of Child Of Vision).

BREAKFAST IN AMERICA will always remain my favourite Supertramp record, with SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE (yeah, I know) coming a close second (It's A Hard World is particularly good).

I've been playing RETROSPECTACLE a lot, in the car. The quality of work is outstanding. There really isn't a duff track on either disc.

I don't know which one is Thor's favorite but I'm gonna guess it's probably their final one, Slow Motion, or any of their later ones with Rick Davies in full control and Roger Hodgson out of the picture ;)

Being a big Roger Hodgson fan in the beginning I appreciated more and more Davies songs.

My favourite non Hodgson record is Brother Where You Bound. Afterwards, they made some really bad choices. First of all to bring in another singer, then trying to sound particularly like Matt Bianco (on Free as a Bird), then publishing probably the worst live album ever (and that after a milestone like Paris).

Afterwards I lost track of them a little.

After the split Hodgson and the band made exactly one great record each, and that was it. End of the story.

23 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Being a big Roger Hodgson fan in the beginning I appreciated more and more Davies songs.

I remember when I was a teen I wasn't too fond of his voice, but now that I'm old and wise, and as far as my ears can hear, his voice is kind of warm & soothing. 

That being said, I'm not what you might call a true Supertramp fan, but I've always liked them. I'm not even familiar with anything they've released after Breakfast In America :o. I always thought Breakfast was really good and the others not so good. 

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I don't know which one is Thor's favorite but I'm gonna guess it's probably their final one, Slow Motion, or any of their later ones with Rick Davies in full control and Roger Hodgson out of the picture ;)

No, as I mentioned earlier, EVEN IN THE QUIETEST MOMENTS is my favourite Supertramp record. Probably has something to do with the fact that it was my first album of theirs. It was not love at first listen, though. I inherited a bunch of taped cassettes from my dad, ca. 1990, one of which had BREAKFAST on one side and QUIETEST on the other. I didn't like it very much at first (I was very much into old-school rock'n'roll at the time, and was kinda alienated by Hodgon's high-pitched voice, the weird chord progressions etc). But over the next year or so, and 4-5 subsequent listens, I fell completely in love. Been my favourite band ever since, and have everything they ever did (as well as the solo stuff). It pains me that there is as much as 20/22 years since the last studio album from both Supertramp and Hodgson, and we probably won't see another.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

That being said, I'm not what you might call a true Supertramp fan, but I've always liked them. I'm not even familiar with anything they've released after Breakfast In America :o. I always thought Breakfast was really good and the others not so good. 

I really was a fan. My big sister of "It's raining again". B-Side was "Bonnie". I really liked both. The records then was unusually diverse. The two singers, the different song. I was already into film and classical music at that time. Hodgson's voice was like an instrument. I really liked what I heard. Especially the Rick Davies songs are great. Bonnie is probably my favourite of his still. When I saw the live concert in the Berlin Waldbühne on TV I was caught by the performance of Hide in Your Shell. So, Crime of the Century was next. Then chronologically, Crisis, What Crisis?, Even in the Quietest Monments and the last one was Breakfast in America.

I was almost disappointed by Breafast as it seemed to me with EITQM they became more orchestral and Breakfast seemed to be a step back. But the songs are great. But I still have a special relationship with Famous Last Words...

I always ignored the first two albums.

10 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I always ignored the first two albums.

Shame, because even though they weren't that well received, they're very good. Love the psychedelia of the first, and some of the raw blues/rock/prog vibe of the second. But then I'm completely biased, of course. I find things to love in all of their studio albums, even the much-derided FREE AS A BIRD.

I was always especially fan of their sophisticated piano focussed songs. Bonnie, Rudy, Fools Overture, Soap Box Opera, Don't Leave Me Now, Crime of the Century, Loverboy, Cannonball etc. And there was not much in for me in the first two albums. So, probably rather I am the blased one here. :)

He, he...that's kinda random. Although I'm aware Parsons is huge in Germany, so perhaps not that random. In fact, back in the early 90s, that's the only place I could find FREUDIANA (picked it up at a FNAC in Hamburg).

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

He, he...that's kinda random. Although I'm aware Parsons is huge in Germany, so perhaps not that random. In fact, back in the early 90s, that's the only place I could find FREUDIANA (picked it up at a FNAC in Hamburg).

It was for this weekend's audio exposition in Munchen. Why didn't you go?

I'm waiting for him to book a concert gig in Norway, or at the very least Scandinavia. I have no memory of him ever coming here, for whatever reason.

But yes, I noticed the Munich thing on his Facebook feed. He even had a fun photo out, of him speaking on-stage, that was a caption contest.

Don't know if anyone else here likes Dua Lipa (I'm a massive fan) but I came across this unexpected version of New Rules. I find it amazing that they don't release things like this.

Original for reference: 

Been revisiting Rush's Farewell to Kings recently, after only listening to it once a few years ago and not really getting much out of it and...

...its actually really good, listened to it on repeat on the way to work this morning.

Going to see the Groover From Vancouver himself tomorrow night, Mr Bryan Adams ... it's my first music gig at Belfast's SSE Arena (saw Steve Coogan as Alan Partridge there last month) since A-ha in October '19. 

I've booked a seat, because I'm an old fart (that said, I do have 2 outdoor standing-only gigs in August ... Simple Minds and Stereophonics). I've booked the day after Simple Minds as a holiday, 'cause it's my first standing one for quite some time (see previous mention of being an old fart).  

This song makes me feel good

On 26/5/2022 at 10:50 PM, Counterparts said:

Been revisiting Rush's Farewell to Kings recently, after only listening to it once a few years ago and not really getting much out of it and...

Xanadu was one of my early favorite Rush songs actually.

Its amazing how huge and orchestral it sounds with the tubular bells.

XAAAAAA-NAAAA-DUUUUU!!!!!

2 hours ago, Counterparts said:

Its amazing how huge and orchestral it sounds with the tubular bells.

XAAAAAA-NAAAA-DUUUUU!!!!!

It sounds better, on EXIT...STAGE LEFT.

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'll call you Mildred.

You can call me Al.

What is it about the music of Donovan that I find so irresistible?  His songs are really very silly and simplistic, but there's just something about them and his whole vibe that is so much fun to listen to.

I'm really only familiar with the Greatest Hits compilation (the CD reissue that added Barabajagal and few others).  Does anyone have recommendations for the best of his album tracks that didn't make the compilation?

Donovan-Donovan's Greatest Hits.jpg

I'm a Donovan noob myself but I do have the Try For the Sun box set so you might wanna try that or his previous box Troubadour if you're just looking to level up your sample size without binging the albums. 

Hey Gyp (Dig the Slowness) is silly and simplistic, irresistible fun, not on that CD

Happiness Runs is sweet and child-like, reminds me of a nursery rhyme

Love The Ferryman's Daughter - "this is a bit of fun for me, making songs that sound like traditional songs"