The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Revolver finally arrived. 's good! Since I started with the 50th remasters and will now be working my way backwards with the new masters, this is to be expected, but at first it felt just a little vanilla compared to what came after, what I know well already - also had this with Let It Be at first but it grew on me quickly, and so is Revolver now with the third listen in 2 days. At first I wasn't a fan of shorter tracks with lots of "cheap" fadeout endings that I'm not a fan of, but the energetic shorter songs help increase the number of songs and number of styles represented, making it feel longer and more substantial than I first thought it would be from the only 35 minute runtime. It feels more like a little cousin to the giant chaotic burst of creative energy that is the White Album, as opposed to the sharper refined vision of Pepper and Abbey Road, but I love White Album possibly the most, so that's not a bad thing. :D

I love to reconstitute outdated compilations using the latest remastered versions we now have.

"The Love Album" is a 2002 of Roy Orbison compilation, it now have 20 years.

Peut être une image de 1 personne et texteAucune description de photo disponible.

I'm just gutted that Mimi Parker, drummer/vocalist from the all-time great indie rock band Low, has died at such a young age.  Low has been putting out albums since 1993, and they seriously only got better with time.  They made beautiful, thoughtful, emotional rock music that was very important for me through the loneliest times of my life.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/low-mimi-parker-dead-obit-1234611683/

And yes, John Stamos starred in the video for one of their best songs.

Another favorite from 2015.  The combination of Mimi and her husband, Alan's, voices was just magical to me.

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm just gutted that Mimi Parker, drummer/vocalist from the all-time great indie rock band Low, has died at such a young age.  Low has been putting out albums since 1993, and they seriously only got better with time.  They made beautiful, thoughtful, emotional rock music that was very important for me through the loneliest times of my life.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/low-mimi-parker-dead-obit-1234611683/

I know no one but me cares, but it's super cool that Robert Plant paid tribute to Mimi Parker at his concert last night and performed a Low cover

On 04/12/2021 at 8:34 PM, AC1 said:

Ah, yes, that one. I thought you meant Webber pulled off a James bond too.

Not sure if Pink Floyd was first with that riff, I think others have used it too, just can't remember who.

@Marian Schedenig So that's Echoes, The Phantom Of The Opera and Calling Occupants (both of them).

Very gratifying to see Rick Beato post a tribute to Mimi Parker, and the first song he plays is my favorite!

It’s great to see industry veterans drawing attention to a band that deserved more of it, even if the occasion is so sad.

16 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

After... STEVE MCQUEEN?

JORDAN THE COMEBACK is my favourite.

ANDROMEDA HEIGHTS doesn't get as much love as it deserves.

Funnily enough, Andromeda Heights was the only Sprout album I owned for a long time because Terry Wogan used to play three tracks from it an almost loop on his breakfast show and I thought they were wonderful. I got a couple of others some years ago and recommendations here, I picked up a few other of their albums to add to the ones I already owned and really must revisit them. So much music, so little time…

Swoon and Steve McQueen are their most uncompromised albums, and, as a consequence, their best. I really liked Langley Park when it came out but as time passed by I have to say it's not on the same level as their first two albums. You can hear it was 'designed' to get a foot in the US and to me that's a compromise. It's all a bit less complex and easier to listen to. Important, get Steve McQueen and not the US version called Two Wheels Good. Steve McQueen is probably my favorite pop/rock album of the '80s. Producer Thomas Dolby listened to all the songs Paddy had written to that point (which was a lot) and he chose the best 11 songs for Steve McQueen. Hard to beat that!

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Swoon and Steve McQueen are their most uncompromised albums, and, as a consequence, their best. I really liked Langley Park when it came out but as time passed by I have to say it's not on the same level as their first two albums. You can hear it was 'designed' to get a foot in the US and to me that's a compromise. It's all a bit less complex and easier to listen to. Important, get Steve McQueen and not the US version called Two Wheels Good. Steve McQueen is probably my favorite pop/rock album of the '80s. Producer Thomas Dolby listened to all the songs Paddy had written to that point (which was a lot) and he chose the best 11 songs for Steve McQueen. Hard to beat that!

I shall give Steve McQueen another listen then!

MzgtNTAyOS5qcGVn.jpeg

I suppose a semi-secret side of me, but before I ever got into prog rock or electronic music (and then much later film music), I was into raw rock'n'roll. First Elvis, then Creedence, Steppenwolf, that kind of stuff. Got this CD in the 90s, and although the live sound leaves much to be desired, it's a testament to the amazing grooves and energy Steppenwolf conjured up. Even as late as 1995.

Eddie Van Halen's son, Wolfgang Van Halen, has a solo career where he plays all the instruments himself and sounds just like Theory of a Deadman.

This music video where he is shown playing all the instruments is funny

Also: Dude looks just like Hurley from Lost!

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

So...Mariah Carey is, officially, not the "Queen of Christmas".

Does anyone have a spare antipsychotic?

Yeah I bristle at all the Mariah crap this time of year too.  I don't even like that song.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The version in LOVEACTUALLY is even worse, but, at least I can skip that bit.

But it's Vanessa Doofenshmirtz!

OTOH, I was working in a music store the Christmas that Mariah's album came out. That was a rough month!

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A brilliant tune, from a phenomenal record!

"Behind The Rain" could almost be a Bond track.

Hmm, never listened to the album, good tip!

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No love for Chic, Stu?

Quite the opposite.  The first three Chic albums are so essential, it's just not right to say a just pretty fun Herb Alpert trend-chasing album is anywhere is near as good as one of them.

Never have I ever linked a to a Fallon video, but this is too brilliant.

If you are a fan of Bob Dylan, you must watch this.  It's the comedian James Austin Johnson doing Bob Dylan singing "Jingle Bells" but imagining it as done in 4 distinct Dylan eras (early-60s, late-60s, mid-70s, and late-90s).

The extreme specificity of that mid-70s, Rolling Thunder era Dylan impression just floored me, couldn't stop laughing.  I've listened to so much live Dylan from like 1974-1976, and this guy is spot-on.

Yesterday evening I fired up Qobuz (hey, the first month is free!) and listened to the 2019 remix (not remastered but a new mix) of Abbey Road. Usually I don't like it when they redo a mix of a classic album but this one floored me. And the Lintons (my speakers) approve! This is the ultimate version, guys. It sounds big, fat and ... better.

beatles-abbey-road-remix-album2.jpg