The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody buy The Beatles Mono box set?

Yes, I said mono, not stereo. Long story short, stereo was in its infancy in the early 60s when The Beatles made their music, so it was a gimmick that they barely touched, so the result was not the great stereo we have today. The definitive versions of all but their last three albums are in mono.

I want to buy this but I am concerned about the number of bootlegs that are on the market. I don't want to buy a fake set, and I'm not sure if someplace like Barnes&Noble or Amazon or even BestBuy is a guarantee -- we know the B sellers will be more expensive. The Beatles' website doesn't list the mono box, though all the stereo albums, including the missing 3, are on sale for less than Amazon (though I stopped short of making an account to see how much shipping needs).

Does anyone have any recommendation?

You can trust Best Buy or Amazon, as long as its sold by them and not on the marketplace.

I trust marketplace sellers though, that's where I got my Led Zeppelin box set for $100 less than Amazon's selling price.

I sent an email to MusicDirect, basically asking "do you sell counterfeit shit." They purport to be a Capitol Records seller and they have a Father's Day sale going that makes them cheaper than Amazon, where it would be via a seller that I've read unsavory reviews of.

Update:

They replied with a "no chance any of our items are counterfeit" reply, which gives me reassurance and proof to fall back on if in fact I am dissatisfied with the purchase I have just made. With the 10% off sale they are running, I picked up Mono and Abbey Road (and free shipping!) for less than Mono would be via Amazon marketplace. Win.

They didn't sell Yellow Submarine or Let It Be, which I am in no hurry to buy because I don't think I'd enjoy the former enough just yet, and I have the LIB Naked to hold me over for awhile.

I've had the mono box since Christmas. Don't have the stereo release to compare, but the mono set seems pretty great to me.

I was actually going to ask a question related to that: I'm still missing Abbey Road and Let it Be. With the recent stereo remasters supposedly badly mangled and overcompressed, what would be the recommended versions of these albums?

Also, got my tickets for the Muse concert in November.

I haven't read anything bad about the stereo versions AR or LIB, but then again, I was just researching them to see which albums were not in the mono set.

In fact, one very lengthy review that I read at Amazon states that to best build the set, you need the stereo versions of many of the albums, like half of the mono albums. That undermines a good bit of the "investment" I just made.

I do believe that I read the stereo remasters are superior to the versions that came out in 1987 or so, so you probably can't go wrong with the stereo remasters for these two. AR and LIB were simply not recorded in mono, so your choices are the 2009 stereo remasters or any of the various earlier editions. Maybe it's people's ears, or crummy equipment, or people trying to accuse the recordings of having failed the test of time, 45 years or so.

Most stereo standalones are $9.99 US at The Beatles' main website, but I don't know if they ship to Austria or what shipping would be to me, so I figured I would buy the last two I need at Walmart sometime when I go in for a half gallon of milk or something.

~*~

I have probably all the major songs and could build most albums from low-bitrate Napster downloads or CD rips, but they represent the editions from the 1980s. I wanted to upgrade to a quality set and do so legally, and have something that will look amazing on the shelf.

I am. That comment was for Marian's benefit. When I went to The Beatles' official site, it had choices to select from their US, UK, Japan, or iTunes stores, and I did not check whether the $10 stereo albums were available in the UK store and would ship to Vienna.

The new stereo masters are great, I dunno where you read they were "mangled". It's the best sounding versions I've ever heard.

BTW, besides Let It Be and Abbey Road, you'll also want to pick up the stereo The White Album, as its the definitive mix; The mono mix features a bunch of weird alternate stuff.

Oh, and you'll also need Past Masters if you want The Ballad of John and Yoko and Old Brown Shoe

Anyone know of Raphael Saadiq? I got some free mp3 money from Amazon, and whenever that happens I go through and try to discover some new artists. I have an old starred folder in Gmail of all the songs I ID'd off the radio from awhile back, and I searched up this one. Can't imagine what station I heard it on, but I love it. A nice blend of blues, rock, and soul.

[media=]

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album as well as his other work.

I was actually going to ask a question related to that: I'm still missing Abbey Road and Let it Be. With the recent stereo remasters supposedly badly mangled and overcompressed, what would be the recommended versions of these albums?

The unremastered ones.

I finally listened to the new Blink 182 album. It sounded like an Angels & Airwaves album. Maybe they just dont have that 'punk' attitude anymore.

The singles I heard from it were awful

What are your thoughts on the new Eve 6? I found it to be uninspired. Have you checked out the new Our Lady Peace? From what I remember it wasn't bad - way better than their last 2 albums.

Do you like Blunderbuss and Fun.'s album?

I still have not listened to Eve 6, it's in my ever increasing pile of new cds.

I never got into Our Lady Peace.

Again, I have not listened to Blunderbuss. I have over 100 cds that are still in the wrapping.

I really like Fun.'s album though. It's very catchy pop music and I can always get behind that. I really like all the songs, "One Foot" is probably my favorite song that has no chance of becoming a radio hit.

I like the song "Some Nights", and I'm really getting sick of the lead single "We Are Young" - its everywhere! Hmm, I think I'm going to listen to Fun.'s album later on today, if its on spotify. Having a Passion Pit/MGMT/Matt and Kim/Peter Bjorn and John morning right now.

Blunderbuss is good. It sounds exactly like a White Stripes album. The two singles are easily the strongest songs, starts to wander after that.

I dont listen to the radio at all and even I have heard "We are Young" everywhere. It's a fun song but it is getting old. Still, it's one of the few recent pop songs that has gotten to me.

We Are Young is played on 95.5 a lot and I assume 101.7, but I also hear it on all the internet alternative stations (like Alt Nation on XM or The Alternative Project on iheartradio), its also on a bunch of commercials, etc. Yea I liked the song pretty much right away.

Are you familiar with Portugal. The Man, Biffy Clyro, or The Avett Brothers at all?

I liked "We Are Young" when I first heard it, same with "Somebody That I Used To Know."

Now that I've heard each of them well over 100 times... not so much. That is the ultimate test, though, isn't it? I can listen to Zeppelin over and over and I never tire of it. If my ear catches it when I'm out or when watching something, I go "Nice!" When I hear these other songs in the same situation, I go "Enough!"

Yea, that Gotye song got soooooooooooooooo overplayed soooooooooo fast! With the breadth of bands alternative stations have to pick from, you'd think that wouldn't happen.

The new stereo masters are great, I dunno where you read they were "mangled". It's the best sounding versions I've ever heard.

There stereo box got a lot of bad press for extreme dynamic compression.

Looks like the verdict on AR and LiB isn't clear either. I'll just wait and pick up some version for cheap someday I guess. It's not like I've found the time to really listen to the mono set a lot... too much music to listen to.

Although Randy Travis is a country (not pop or rock) musician, I can't resist mentioning him since he's one of the few artists I often listen to whenever I'm not listening to soundtracks, classical or jazz (which is rarely). Ever since I heard his song The Hole in Deep Impact and researched who is it that sings that great song, I've been a Randy Travis fan! :D

Jay, is it me or did I see you post something regarding Garfunkel & Oates recently? I decided to check them out since I recognized the chick from Scrubs, but good lord Slippery When Moist doesn't sound good at all, based on the samples.

All Over Your Face samples are better, but to me it sounds like they lack the lyrical genius and instrumentation of Flight Of The Conchords.

Garfunkle and Oates are GREAT! I love both their albums (Their EP features mostly songs that were re-done better on the albums). They just had a stand-up special on Comedy Central that was terrific as well - they put on a good life show. I am still kicking myself for missing a chance to see that special get taped in Boston.

Here's a good sampling of their stuff.... if you don't like these, I guess they aren't for you

OK LOL!!! I never knew this before but they make official music videos of album tracks too. These are great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqG0rc7vZX4

Look for Sarah Silverman and Maebe Funke in the first one and David Koechner in the second

Rapping is just one of the styles they use. There's also nice simple songs they perform on Riki's couch

The one about LOST I had never heard before but wow, they were definitely fans of the show!

I liked "We Are Young" when I first heard it, same with "Somebody That I Used To Know."

Now that I've heard each of them well over 100 times... not so much. That is the ultimate test, though, isn't it? I can listen to Zeppelin over and over and I never tire of it. If my ear catches it when I'm out or when watching something, I go "Nice!" When I hear these other songs in the same situation, I go "Enough!"

It's horrible how over played songs get. The fun and gotye song especially. And now the jepsen. :

The thing with LZ and the like is that there's a depth to the writing that isn't there in many popular songs today

I don't understand why alternative rock stations play it along with STP, Incubus, Disturbed, Pearl Jam, Shinedown...and Gotye.

The gotye song reminds me of Sting every time

His other songs on the album remind me of the same. Gotye is the artistic lovechild of Sting and Peter Gabriel.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm planning some curricular diversions for school - and I'm hoping some people can contribute. My favorite is showcasing the sampling and source inspiration of Gnarls Barkley's Crazy - (Viva Django, Gianfranco Reverberi) Are there others that come to mind that you think I should look into as I'm planning?

I don't understand your question. Are you asking what artists influenced Gnarles Barkley? Or are you asking us for other pop songs that have influences?

Other pop songs that have some sort of quirk to them.

No I think Gnarls Barkley is educationally spent after that song

What kind of quirk?

There are plenty of songs that just take the tune from older classics and write their own lyrics.

Not suitable for the classroom, possibly, but I'm sure you can figure who they took from.

Robbie Williams - Millennium (samples John Barry's You Only Live Twice)

Nas - I Can (samples Beethoven's Für Elise)

Coolio - C U When U Get There (samples Pachelbel’s Canon in D)

Tenacious D - Classico (samples Bach's Bourrée in E minor, Beethoven's Für Elise, and Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik)

bah, Koray - I need suitable for the classroom.....

and I guess I mean I don't NEED songs with direct quotes from other songs. Like I use a Thriller techno version because the entire song is completely different than the original. It just has quotes and snips from the original to make a new one. Are there other songs out there have have little know, interesting backgrounds?

Thank you Jason

Oh man how could I forget Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers!

And Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 by Trans-Siberian Orchestra!

Also Nas's Hate Me Now samples Carmina Burana

There's that crappy song from The Hangover that reworks You Spin Me Right Round, but again not suitable :P

I remember there was a Kanye West song that sampled Powell, but again probably not suitable. Oh, and there was a rap song that just wrote lyrics to Inception's "Time."

Enough said....... especially when the choir kicks in...... though can anyone figure out what they are saying?

Oh man how could I forget Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers!

And Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 by Trans-Siberian Orchestra!

Also Nas's Hate Me Now samples Carmina Burana

speaking of righteous brothers.............. another favorite, you've lost that loving feeling.

Was browsing through my library and stumbled onto an album I haven't heard in some time, and this track played. What an eclectic summer tune.

About to be seeing Dawes and Mumford and Sons in concert! I listened to the Dawes album on Spotify today because I was unfamiliar with them, and they are really good!

Mumford and Sons are awesome, can't wait to experience them live. I have a huge emotional connection to their debut album (It got me through the toughest breakup of my life) so it should be interesting!