The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes, Collins' hands are bad, so his son, Simon, is drumming, in his place (Chester Thompson having retired). 

@Thor, I suppose that it would rankle you to know that I've seen Supertramp live. Sorry.

Nick, not Simon IIRC.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes, Collins' hands are bad, so his son, Simon, is drumming, in his place (Chester Thompson having retired). 

@Thor, I suppose that it would rankle you to know that I've seen Supertramp live. Sorry.

I remember we were all impressed with the Supertramp Paris live album and how well it sounded. That must've been a really good show. 

A-ha were the last live music gig I was at (30th Oct 2019) before the pandemic kicked in ... good show. 

I remember it coming out that they'd clashed with John Barry over how 'The Living Daylights' should be (and this was following Barry having similar disagreements with Duran Duran over A View To A Kill), and indeed a rather different version of the track subsequently featured on the 'Stay On These Roads' album. It was the last thing they played that night, so they've clearly made their peace with it in the intervening years. 

Give me that sort of creative tension over Billie 'mumble mumble mumble, isn't my 'a highlighter pen leaked over it' hair cool?, mumble mumble mumble' Eilish's shit any day of the week.    

10 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It was the last thing they played that night, so they've clearly made their peace with it in the intervening years. 

You mean they played the version that's on Stay on These Roads, right?

I only saw a-ha live once, in 2005. It was a free concert in Oslo's main park, which gathered about 120.000 people. Interestingly, we had warmed up earlier in the day with a concert of  LOTR music performed by the Norwegian Radio Orchestra, on that same stage. It was a great day!

I stood right next to the white "tent" on the right-hand side, fairly near the stage, so I'm somewhere in this pic:

5537fe37-8a19-4b11-bd77-e79683a1c84d?fit

At least you got to see them, Thor, unlike Supertramp, eh (sorry; don't mean to rub it in)?

For the record, The Living Daylights was, is, and always will be, my favourite Bond song, and the score (:heart:) will always be my favourite Bond score.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

At least you got to see them, Thor, unlike Supertramp, eh (sorry; don't mean to rub it in)?

Why you!!!! Yes, I envy you that, although I did get to see Hodgson solo, as previously noted (and he obviously performed several of the classic Supertramp songs):

Bilde0302.jpg

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You mean they played the version that's on Stay on These Roads, right?

Well, yes ... apart from anything else, the orchestra that would've been required for the movie version were conspicuous by their absence.  

Thor's pic there ... this came up in my Facebook memories today, me at a Stereophonics gig 3 years ago - 

28698944_10155470185232615_4890317777969

Other people! Actual draught beer! Non-feral hair! 

*Sniffle* 

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Out of interest, Thor, has Hodgdon ever performed "Lord Is It Mine?" live? I like that song.

He has, but the only live version available on album or video, is on the "Classics - Live" album from 2010. Plenty of versions on the ol' Youtube, though, even with orchestra. I agree, very haunting song.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Speaking of TD, as we have been...does anyone have the two recently-released box sets?

That's for the 'electronic' thread! But no, I sadly do not. It's hard to justify when you already have a lot of the albums individually.

• 2 weeks later...

I never ever would have believed it was possible to rap about statistics, and yet here we are. Thanks for sharing this!

For what’s it’s worth, the songwriter(s) did a pretty damn good job covering the Bayesian basics. One should always be ready to update their beliefs/expectations as new, relevant evidence comes to light!

ab67616d0000b2735e15b58fc1a36684183da40a

Their last album is also their masterpiece (and the only one I own on CD). Foreshadowing the work on CHESS, but with some funky beats, ethereal melodies and extremely sophisticated arrangements.

Agreed, 100%. Although not my favourite Abba record, it is their finest achievement. It's just a shame that it didn't sell well, on first release. Time has offered a reappraisal, which is good, because it's their first (and, to date, last) fully grown-up record.

Damn. I'm in the mood to hear The Visitors (Crackin' Up), now!

Surely it still sold like hot cakes! I mean, It's ABBA! 

I heard a song during a speaker review on youtube which I though was not bad. Never heard of the artist before.

Michael Cretu was guilty for some quite embarrassing musical acts in the 80s. So, then Enigma was no option for me. Even though, probably Enigma was not bad.

After the "The Name of the Rose" movie suddenly these gregorian chants were a thing. And Cretu made the next logical step. I would have prefered if it would have been done by someone who is knwoingly rather interested in music than in hits and record sales.

When I just think back to the 80s, it is interesting that religion and god were quite a present and frequent topic in pop music lyrics.

That has obviously changed.