The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

I enjoy these series ... Not only is Mr. Blue Sky voted the happiest song ever, a scientist has proof that it is. This episode isn't just about the song, it's about E.L.O in general. It appears that they were initially more loved in the States than in the UK. Of course, their album A New World Record changed everything ...

Bucket List Life Goal achieved. I got to see Paul McCartney yesterday.  Set list was a crowd pleaser, heavy on Beatles material, giving everyone what they wanted. 

80 years old and his voice is still awesome, wickedly talented, and he put on a hell of a show. 

I think he’s drinking from the same fountain as our beloved Johnny, because he’s still got it.   

D97C6BFD-0E64-4342-9D12-B86C0B2A6B93.jpeg

Edit:  Forgot to add a short clip of pyrotechnics for Paul’s venture into Film Music. Electrifying!!!    

I saw him on Tuesday, my first time as well. Took a whole Tennessee road trip for it. 

He's in great shape and played for almost 3 hours, didn't feel like it at all. I do think his voice isn't quite what it used to be, at least considering how well he was belting it out up until maybe even 10 years ago. I would have loved to hear him in 2007 when I was a new fan. But his stamina is still incredible, did a lot of fun crowd work, he clearly still loves it, as do we all. 

My favorite part of the show was the more acoustic stuff in the middle where they stripped down the pyrotechnics and went through In Spite of All the Danger, Dance Tonight, and Love Me Do with Paul and the guys just jamming together in the middle of the stage. I was kinda like, I would watch him do a whole concert like this! I think it suited his voice the best, and going into him solo on Blackbird and Here Today. His touring band is also A+, they have a great dynamic. I've really fallen in love with them watching so many videos on YouTube over the years. Crazy to think he's played longer with them than anybody. 

But I love that he's doing it big while he can, it's what we all pay for. I was thrilled that he played more than half of the Abbey Road Medley. You Never Give Me Your Money and She Came In Through the Bathroom Window in the setlist and then Golden Slumbers-The End as the final encore. They all rocked the house messing around with The End solos. My dream Beatles reunion concert would be to hear them do that if I had to pick anything. 

Also a beautiful surprise that Peter Jackson isolated John's vocal on "I've Got a Feeling" to have Paul play live with him, with the rooftop footage onscreen. Very sweet. 

I saw McCartney back in 2015.  It wasn't a jaw-dropping show by any means, but yeah it's nice to say I've seen him and he's doing pretty darn well for his age.

I just made a Youtube playlist called "The Best of Roy Orbison" using the best clip for each hit (yes, I'm also a Roy Orbison expert!)

Now, you'll put your sunglasses and you'll listen to this.

😎

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

Justin Bieber is suffering from Ramsay Hunt syndrome, leaving half his face paralyzed.

That's horrible for a singer. I read it may last 2 years and sometimes it leave some permament damages to the nerves.

You may not like the guy or what he sings, but that's terrible news for an artist of his age. :(

Just a reminder that Justin got paralyzed after drinking his new canadian biebs brew.

Message from the Universe or pure coincidence?

Justin Bieber Is Launching His Own 'Biebs Brew' Iced Coffee At Tim  Hortons Soon - Narcity

Yes that’s awful. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.  Hopefully he recovers quickly. And his wife recently had a mini stroke as well.  Terrible. 

My daughter just saw his show a couple weeks ago, after it was pandemic postponed for over a year. She got in just under the wire, and loved the show. 

71vso0tO99L._AC_SL1300_.jpg

When I was young and running free in the green fields, my favorite track on this album was probably Robbery, Assault and Battery, but now that I'm older and wiser, I realize the best track is the title song (A trick Of The Tail). Having said that, I've noticed this album isn't as etched in my memory as I thought it was. That means I was never really that into it to begin with.

Richard: The title song is certainly not bad but the best track is Ripples.

Thor: I love this album but I always skip the title track. It's funny, but not surprising, that you should think it's the best.

Stu: Genesis? The only good thing they ever did was Abacab.

Bruce: Genesis sucks!

First 4 tracks are fire, rest is good (Ripples, Los Endos) to okay (Title track, the disco-ey Robbery).

W&W is pretty much all about Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers.... In That Quiet Earth for me.

Sure, some of the other tracks are more proggy, but Trick Of The Tail is the strongest song. In fact, it's the only song on the album that really lends itself for other artists to cover. Heck, there's a reason why the band chose it for the title song of the album. To think Tony Banks wrote it! (I could have sworn it was a Phil Collins song).

14 minutes ago, AC1 said:

To think Tony Banks wrote it! (I could have sworn it was a Phil Collins song).

Collins' first self-penned songs for Genesis, were "Misunderstanding", and "Please Don't Ask".

1 hour ago, Counterparts said:

W&W is pretty much all about Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers.... In That Quiet Earth for me.

Indeed. From "Blood On The Rooftops" onwards, WIND AND WUTHERING gets really good, but "Eleventh Earl Of Mar", and "One For The Vine", aren't too shabby, either.

I would have preferred "Inside And Out" to be included, instead of "All In A Mouse's Night", but hey-ho.

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... I love WIND AND WUTHERING even more.

I've gone to the ends of the Earth and back, multiple times in fact, and so I can say with great confidence and certainty that the best thing about Wind & Wuthering is Hackett's timeless and lyrical classical guitar piece right before Blood On The Rooftops. I listen to classical guitar music (from the 20th century, that is) and I prefer this one over many, many others. 

I am very very very very very excited that Louis Cole has announced a new album is coming soon (love the artwork lol).

I honestly think Cole is the most talented and interesting younger/up-and-coming pop singer/songwriter working today.  It's been 4 years since his last album, Time, which is my favorite pop album of the last 5 years.

It's a masterpiece

Enjoyed Noel Gallagher's Glastonbury set, pretty much the only one I'm interested in at this year's festival (am too old and grumpy for Billie Eilish, McCartney's live vocals are a bit of a lottery these days and I wouldn't know a Kendrick Lamar track if it bit me).  

On 24/06/2022 at 7:19 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

So... Kate Bush says "the world has gone mad".

I could have told you that, love, the day that "No Time To Die" won the Oscar ™ for Best fucking Original fucking Song.

Fuck's sake.

You're lucky you indicated " Oscar" is trademarked.

You don't want Will Smith upside your head!😅

On 26/06/2022 at 2:32 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Let's hope that it doesn't, because it's not a pleasant experience.

I also recorded the Pet Shop Boys last night - it's apparently a hits set, so should be good. 

54 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I also recorded the Pet Shop Boys last night - it's apparently a hits set, so should be good. 

Any chance you could post the setlist, or provide a link?

I've only seen the Pet Shop Boys live, once.

It was on the NIGHTLIFE tour.

It were well good.

I feel in love with the rearranged "Being Boring". Now, it's my go-to version (apart from the 12").

On 27/06/2022 at 7:28 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Any chance you could post the setlist, or provide a link?

I've only seen the Pet Shop Boys live, once.

It was on the NIGHTLIFE tour.

It were well good.

I feel in love with the rearranged "Being Boring". Now, it's my go-to version (apart from the 12").

Just once for me, too - the Behaviour tour in '91. Good show, as much theatrical performance as music gig. 

Neil Tennant started out with his usual deadpan demeanour of the time, but by the end was smiling and waving to the people on the venue balcony. Aww. 

Saw The Rolling Stones yesterday. Lost all sense of time, which hardly ever happens to me. Sound emphasised the bass and voices too much, meaning the midrange was mostly inaudible, but never mind. Classical music will have to take a back seat for a while.

Was in Liverpool for a break Sun - Wed, whilst there I went on the Beatles bus tour and visited the Beatles Museum. Both highly recommended if you happen to be visiting the city. 

Yeah (or should I say "yeah, yeah, yeah"?), it's a fine exhibition.

I tried to get an ANTHOLOGY poster, but they didn't have any.

The Mersey is huge!

If anyone is ever in London, go to the Beatles Shop, on Baker St. It's just down from the Tube station, opposite It's Only Rock 'n' Roll.