The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Neither disc of The Wall irritates me. I listened to The Wall (and the rest) so much during college that I don't listen to much anymore. What irritates me is when people treat a Pink Floyd as a collection of singles, and don't listen to the rest. So people want to hear Happiest Days of Our Lives/Another Brick...Part 2 without the rest. Or they just like it because of the children's chorus at the end. Personally, I like Pt 1 the most, then Pt 3, then Pt 2 the least. The Wall is notable because it presents "themes" that are common to many songs. Not just Another Brick, but other themes, too. Disc 2 often seems like a different album than Disc 1, except for the reprise and bigger presentation of In the Flesh?/In the Flesh.

Have you ever listened to Disc 2 first, and then listen to Disc 1? The last song on Disc 2 (Outside the Wall, I think) ends abruptly with the line "isn't this where." The first song on Disc 1, In the Flesh?, quietly begins with "we came in?" And then there is no musical bridge between Goodbye Cruel World and Hey You. The level of creative inspiration to design an album like that is awesome.

It took me a while to get into Dark Side of the Moon. And I still only have the live album of Wall. I'd say though that of the classic "standalone" songs, I admire Gilmour's more recent live recordings. And with all the great songs they've done over the years, one of my personal favourites is still High Hopes.

Have you ever listened to Disc 2 first, and then listen to Disc 1? The last song on Disc 2 (Outside the Wall, I think) ends abruptly with the line "isn't this where." The first song on Disc 1, In the Flesh?, quietly begins with "we came in?" And then there is no musical bridge between Goodbye Cruel World and Hey You. The level of creative inspiration to design an album like that is awesome.

I never noticed that, but it doesn't surprise me. I listened to both discs earlier today, and noticed how some of the songs are Disc 2 weren't bridged. Didn't make that connection to the first disc though.

I will agree that the creative inspiration is awesome, not to mention The Dark Side Of Oz, if you have ever heard of that or seen it. The album synchs up exactly with the film, most likely intentionally.

I'm pretty sure this was never mentioned, and I don't know if it deserves its own thread, so I'll put it here. Crawdaddy, a magazine about classic rock, published an article in July about a guy trying to do the same thing as Dark Side of the Rainbow with Star Wars: he tried to find a single rock album that would synchronize with the original 1977 Star Wars movie in the same coincidental manner as The Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon. It is a very entertaining article, entitled "Dark Side of the Death Star (or How I Wasted Eleven Months of My Life)."

link: http://crawdaddy.wolfgangsvault.com/Article.aspx?id=8150

It's a three page article; the Print Article button makes it a single page.

For those who missed it the first time I 'discovered' it, a few pages (months) back, the UK's most recent number 1 single http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ovGFPKZ3lgM

I don't normally go in for reality tv show nonsense and its hype, but Leona Lewis is a the real deal and a real find. I find this performance to be simply mind blowing. It moves me to tears. As perfectly produced and engineered it so obviously is, her voice is so beautifully raw it is mesmerising. Whoever said 'pop' music has no scope, is EPICALLY wrong.

Okay, so I'm considering getting THIS.

It's a definitive box set for Zeppelin. I've looked over their individual albums, and I think I have all their best songs already, but I really want this set. It's very expensive though. My dad offered to get me a new radio for my car, since mine is strictly just a radio, no CD player, cassette, nothing. I think I'd rather have this.

However, there is also THIS box set. It's half the price, and only has 2 discs less music. Perhaps Wojo or any other classic rock aficionado could give their 2 cents.

Well, the extra money is just for cardboard facsimiles of the original LP artwork. It would still be the same music content, it all depends on if you value your discs coming in cardboard sleeves with little paper sleeves like the original records would be found in. Personally, I would soon move them to jewel cases or a CD binder anyways, or rip them to my computer and listen to the CD-Rs to keep the originals from being scratched. Especially for being such a pricey investment either way you cut it. Both sets claim to be remastered and have good sound; the cheaper set is what Jimmy Page did a few years back, and the more expensive set is a Japanese import. It's not even listed at Zep's main site.

The two extra discs of the Definitive set are the album "The Song Remains The Same", which is confirmed at buyzillion.com. This album was a double live concert from MSG in July 1973. I wonder why they include that live concert, but not the BBC Sessions or How the West Was Won.

If all you want is the music, I'd go with the $71 set. Nine studio albums = 10 CDs because PG was a two-disc album. Enough trips to Walmart and you can find each album remastered for $10 or less at Walmart, but do the math and that's $100, not $71. You can pick up TSRTS for another $20 or so at Amazon or FYE. Happy investing!

The mini-LP replica set appears to have better sound quality as well. I'll probably get it the next time I score big at poker :rolleyes:

I didn't. But it's all over the radio and the internet. People's cars. The canteen at work. I don't choose to listen to this poo.

Personally, I don't mind it. Harmless cheesy Saturday night entertainment. I'm not keen on the winners single though, Hallelujah. Didn't like it much first time around.

Really Jason? I didn't read that the mini LP set had been remastered, but more that it was a Japanese import. If it were remastered, it was done by them, but it wasn't even listed at LZ's main site for purchase. The less expensive set is the Jimmy Page remasters.

A side by side listening comparison might be in order, but I'm happy with the discs I have so it won't be done by me.

Yes I can't find the link I read it at now but it said that, while they were not a new remaster, they did some SHM audio processing something or other to the 1993 remasters and made them sound better... they said the instruments blur together less, and everything sounds more like the original LPs than the newer CD mixes

Well that's interesting. I'm sure a lot of fans would rather have this sound like muddy LP's than super clean CD's. I'm not nearly that picky about my rock music. As long as it doesn't sound like a low bitrate conversion of a cassette tape recording of a scratched LP, I'm happy...

Well that's interesting. I'm sure a lot of fans would rather have this sound like muddy LP's than super clean CD's. I'm not nearly that picky about my rock music. As long as it doesn't sound like a low bitrate conversion of a cassette tape recording of a scratched LP, I'm happy...

No, the point is they sound even cleaner, and are closer to the way they are supposed to sound

Lp does not = mudddy, and CD does not = clean

Either one can be either

There seems to be a lot of discussion (on Amazon.com anyway) about this box set regarding the sound quality, whether or not it was made in Japan, whether it is better than the 2 previous box sets etc. They of course are talking about the version available in the U.S.A. Well, I bought mine in Canada and it was definitely made in Japan...it says so on the box and in fact each mini-lp sleeve comes with a Japanese obi strip. As far as the sound quality goes, this is by far the best Led Zeppelin have ever sounded on CD...in fact it's the best they have sounded since the original vinyl lps and with no hiss or crackle. The stereo separation is fantastic and you can hear each instrument as clear as a bell. I have been reminded what a great drummer John Bonham was. As far as the 2 previous box sets comprising the (almost) complete Led Zeppelin, I own both of those so was somewhat reluctant to shell out $160 for basically the same material as I already had. Boy, am I glad I did, and I would strongly recommend anybody else do the same. Oh, and the packaging is great as well..

All of their best songs fit on two CD's.

No, they don't

Well I'm not interested enough to go spend $150 on a set.

So then just buy one album at a time for $10 or less a pop

Well I'm not interested enough to go spend $150 on a set.

So then just buy one album at a time for $10 or less a pop

Well if I'm going to eventually own them all, then I would just buy the set. Cheaper all at once than individually over time.

Sorry, Koray, but it's what I'm here for. To invoke Dammit responses.

But seriously, $150 will buy me half of the processor I've got my eye on. You might be able to piecemeal the set together over time from Walmart and eBay for less than $150, but it won't all be new stuff.

To each their own, my friend. I went on a Genesis album buying binge about a year ago, but stopped short of buying the remastered box sets. Those took it to the silly level as far as buying expensive boxes of material I already had.

I think Koray's only filling in the blanks in his Floyd collection, he's not buying it from scratch.

Correct. I didn't even know that set existed until recently when I was looking for the ones I was missing. It looks awesome, but I already own most of their albums.

They have a multi-disc 40th anniversary version of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn at Amazon that looks like it just came out. So I wouldn't doubt it. There's big money to be made in selling remastered versions of older albums.

I wonder if they will only issue the new remasters on the 40th anniversary of each album, or if we'll start getting staggered releases next year or something

They have a multi-disc 40th anniversary version of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn at Amazon that looks like it just came out. So I wouldn't doubt it. There's big money to be made in selling remastered versions of older albums.

Yeah I've seen that. Useless if you ask me, because it's just the album in mono and stereo. Who would want it in mono?