The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

14 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Post up some examples, yo.  After Pink Floyd, Oldfield, and Eno, I guess I stopped looking for more.

I honestly have no idea if any this could possibly be your cup of tea, and they're not really related to Pink Floyd except in my mind because Floyd was the band that opened my mind to new sounds when I was young.  I'd be flattered if you actually gave all of these a fair listen.

The Books were an utterly unique duo that released music between 2003 and 2010.  They're not really electronic, not folk, definitely not rock, they're just... The Books.  If I can get you to listen to these two songs in there entirety, and if you happen to actually like what you hear, it would make my week.  It's music that needs to be heard.

Sufjan Stevens is a more traditional experimental folk singer/songwriter who I love for his wild stylistic left turns.  His 2010 album The Age of Adz is this crazy electronic art rock tribute to outsider art:

Lastly, Dan Deacon creates cacophonous, experimental electropop that you either love or hate, but he's definitely a "sound adventurer."  I think he might be a genius.

I highly recommend his "USA" suite, which is this super ambitious attempt to marry 21st century classical with Coplandesque Americana with his own brand of eletronic hyperactivity.  I find it beguiling.

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't even especially like The Wall.  The songs that get played on the radio are good, but the album is a tiresome, eye-rolling listen from start to finish for me.  It's when Waters got so far up his own ass he couldn't see daylight anymore. 

"Go on, judge, shit on 'im!" 

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

For me it's a toss up between Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. I love parts from them all though, including A Momentary Lapse of Reason (Learning to Fly, Dogs of War etc). I know that album has its detractors, but it's nothing but fond memories for me.

Not, me, Lee, AMLOR is my third favourite PF album. I have very fond memories of listening to this, while I was working in the USA.

It was one of a whole slew of great albums (including two classic JW scores) that came out in '87.

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't even especially like The Wall. 

I loved it when I was a teenager but today I find it a bit too adolescent and Roger Watersy.

Sometimes the so-called best albums are simply the best albums. In the case of Pink Floyd, when everything is said and done, it truly is Dark Side Of The Moon. It's where everything comes together. 

No thanks!

In a hundred years from now people will still listen to Dark Side Of The Moon while The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking will be long forgotten.

"Dance this Mess Around" is one of the towering achievements of 20th century pop art. Like a living, breathing Warhol painting.  Should've been included on Voyager 2!!! [further research tells me Voyager 2 launched slightly earlier than I'd thought]

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

No thanks!

In a hundred years from now people will still listen to Dark Side Of The Moon while The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking will be long forgotten.

You're not a Waters person, I guess. Personally, I like both Waters and Gilmour for different reasons. Probably on the same level (while Waters' opera CA IRA was shite, Gilmour has never had a solo album as good as AMUSED TO DEATH, so it evens out). I also like the solo work of Wright and Mason. However, I've never been able to "get" Barrett (except for the early Floyd albums). I bought the CRAZY DIAMOND 3CD box with his solo material because I'm a completist, but I've regretted it ever since. In fact, I have it for sale now, if anyone wants it?

Agreed, Thor. ATD is fantastic, and possibly a better listen than RADIO K.A.O.S. , although I'll always prefer the former (more '87 memories).

Looking forward to the new album.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

"Dance this Mess Around" is one of the towering achievements of 20th century pop art. Like a living, breathing Warhol painting.  Should've been included on Voyager 2!!! [further research tells me Voyager 2 launched slightly earlier than I'd thought]

It's very good, Stu, but FOLLOW YOUR BLISS remains my favourite B-52's track, closely followed by ROAM, DRY COUNTY, and ROCK LOBSTER.

On 11/05/2017 at 4:23 PM, Disco Stu said:

Tusk is the best Fleetwood Mac album.  And it's not close!

Fuckin' A!

16 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Top 5 Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon > Wish You Were Here > Meddle > The Wall > Atom Heart Mother

I like the rest pretty equally.  

We continually return to them because there is nothing better!

For me it's:

1. Animals

2. Wish You Were Here

3. The Dark Side Of The Moon

4. The Wall

5th place is a tough one, because at this point several albums have fantastic highlights. Probably a toss up between Obscured By Clouds or A Saucerful Of Secrets.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

You're not a Waters person, I guess. 

Actually, I'm much more a Waters persons than a Gilmour person (as a songwriter because Gilmour is the better musician). I don't like Gilmour's Pink Floyd or his solo albums. I can listen to his debut album though, even though it lacks his trademark expressive guitar solos.

41 minutes ago, Richard said:

I don't have a top 5, but THE ENDLESS RIVER might just be 4th.

Yikes!

17 hours ago, Quintus said:

...including A Momentary Lapse of Reason (Learning to Fly, Dogs of War etc). I know that album has its detractors, but it's nothing but fond memories for me.

The album is okay, I feel they came back much stronger with the Division Bell, but it does happen to have "On The Turning Away" which is on the greatest songs ever written.

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Paul de Munnik is a Dutch singer yes.

Ok listen to that and discover Charles Aznavour.

Then, kneel before Zod... euh... Aznavour. :)

I've posted another Dutch Jazz album in the Jazz thread.

Surrender!

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

GenesisSellingEngland.jpg

Side B is still good (with 'The Cinema Show' as the album's highlight).

Alex

I like you, Alex, but..THE CINEMA SHOW versus THE BATTLE OF EPPING FOREST ? it's a toughie.

Anyway, they both pale in comparisom to UNQUIET SLUMBERS FOR THE SLEEPERS-IN THAT QUIET EARTH-AFTERGLOW.

I will happily admit that SEBT£ is my second fave Genesis record.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Anyway, they both pale in comparisom to UNQUIET SLUMBERS FOR THE SLEEPERS-IN THAT QUIET EARTH-AFTERGLOW.

Richard, I was actually waiting for you to claim that Abacab is the superior record. So it's not? 

To be honest,  I treat the 3 songs (4 if we count Aisle Of Plenty) on side B of Selling England By The Pound as one big track.

Abacab was the only Collins-era Genesis album not representing by the 2007 Turn It On Again tour. 

Which is a shame because Dodo/Lurker is magnificent. 

39 minutes ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

Collins-era Genesis

It's kinda amazing how there's already a very Phil Collinsy track on Selling England By The Pound (1973):

Same kind of love hurt lyrics can be found on his debut album Face Value

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

It's kinda amazing how there's already a very Phil Collinsy track on Selling England By The Pound (1973):

Same kind of love hurt lyrics can be found on his debut album Face Value

It's actually the second. The first song with Phil as lead singer was on Nursery Cryme. 

Sure, but I'm talking about how 'More Fool Me' sounds very Phil Collins solo, especially the lyrics. As a fragile love song, it feels very out of place on Selling England By The Pound.

13 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

Abacab was the only Collins-era Genesis album not representing by the 2007 Turn It On Again tour. 

Which is a shame because Dodo/Lurker is magnificent. 

Genesis rehearsed the song ABACAB, for the TURN IT ON AGAIN tour, in 2007, but they dropped it, because it didn't "feel" right.

Actually, I prefer the single version. It's a nice length for a pop song.

10 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

Right, just like Your Own Special Way is out of place on Wind and Wuthering. The rejected Hackett song would have fit better. 

Maybe.

I think that IT'S YOURSELF would be nice on W+W.

Which rejected song would that be? PLEASE DON'T TOUCH?

Replace WOT GORILLA? with INSIDE AND OUT, and you've got yourself a fucking classic! As it is, W+W is a record striving for excellence, that just doesn't quite get there. Still, it doesn't stop it from being my favourite Genesis record.

RIP Chris Cornell :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

One of my favorite singers.  In his honor I threw together a 12 hour playlist of his music that I'll be listening to all day at work today

https://open.spotify.com/user/1219032234/playlist/7HGDktMQEITTxsxAMXpY4Y

Of all the rock deaths from bands that I grew up listening to; Scott Weiland, Layne Staley, and even Kurt Cobain....Chris Cornell's hits me the hardest.  That was a toughy.  Fuck.

OMD's first three albums are the pinnacle of that early 80s "pasty shy white boys" era of British pop.  Too bad they got so much less interesting after the commercial failure of Dazzle Ships, their masterpiece.

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

OMD's first three albums are the pinnacle of that early 80s "pasty shy white boys" era of British pop.  Too bad they got so much less interesting after the commercial failure of Dazzle Ships, their masterpiece.

GEORGIA, if I'm not mistaken.

Nice. DAZZLE SHIPS, is, indeed, a fantastic, and an underrated, album. I'll always prefer A+M, though.

Still GENETIC ENGINEERING (312mm version) is fantastic.

Listen to the title track of JUNK CULTURE; it might sound oddly familiar...:)

4 hours ago, Richard said:

GEORGIA, if I'm not mistaken.

Nice. DAZZLE SHIPS, is, indeed, a fantastic, and an underrated, album. I'll always prefer A+M, though.

Still GENETIC ENGINEERING (312mm version) is fantastic.

Listen to the title track of JUNK CULTURE; it might sound oddly familiar...:)

Really I love all of that initial phase of OMD pretty equally.  And when I say "first three" albums I really mean "first four" but I actually prefer the American debut for them which combined their first two British albums.

I wasn't aware that the first two were combined. Check out the complete ORGANISATION, as there's some great stuff on there: ENOLA GAY, MOTION AND HEART, THE MISUNDERSTANDING, the beautiful STANLOW, and a very sinister version of THE MORE I SEE YOU.