The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

18 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

MMT is definitely one of my favourites, and I don't even know the US version.

The original double-EP in Britain was just these 6 songs:

1.    "Magical Mystery Tour"
2.    "Your Mother Should Know"
3.    "I Am the Walrus"
4.    "The Fool on the Hill"
5.    "Flying"
6.    "Blue Jay Way"

But the US version took those 6 and added the songs that had been released as independent singles on their own around the same time, and became the de facto version of all these recordings when their catalog was standardized in the 90s (and when the 2009 remasters came out)

1.    "Magical Mystery Tour"
2.    "The Fool on the Hill"
3.    "Flying"
4.    "Blue Jay Way"
5.    "Your Mother Should Know"
6.    "I Am the Walrus"
7.    "Hello, Goodbye"
8.    "Strawberry Fields Forever"
9.    "Penny Lane"
10.    "Baby, You're a Rich Man"
11.    "All You Need Is Love"

1 hour ago, Jay said:

But the US version took those 6 and added the songs that had been released as independent singles on their own around the same time, and became the de facto version of all these recordings when their catalog was standardized in the 90s (and when the 2009 remasters came out)

Ah, then I do have the US version. I'd assumed the Mono box would have the original release. Seeing that track list, I can understand a bit why the album wasn't so popular - but only a bit. MMT and The Walrus are still two of my favourite Beatles songs.

Donny.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

So; an average day in your life, right?

No it was several John Williams days just before!

A new Aznavour boxset is about to be released in october... So I just prepare myself!

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Those new emojis are so tiny I never know what they're supposed to be.  Just looks like a little yellow blob at the end of a post.

Time to get a pair of glasses grandpa!

21 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Watched HBO’s Flight Of The Conchords special. Can’t believe it’s been 10 years since the show aired!

Honestly I thought it was longer! For some reason I thought it came out in 2005.

Mr. @Disco Stu, @Steve McQueen do you like heavier music?

This used to be on the radio a lot but I haven't heard since decades. Yes, I know it's considered 'faux pas' but Herb is truly a funky trumpet player.

20 minutes ago, Richard said:

Fuckin' A!!!!!

This is a great record!  I've loved it ever since 1986. THE SCORE is fantastic!

I like it a lot.

Let's be honest, nobody ever gave a shit about Palmer.  The eternal appeal of ELP is all about the creative collaboration of Keith Emerson and Greg Lake. 

Anyone ever hear of the Contemporary Christian pop rock outfit Downhere?  A bit sharper edged than their colleagues in the genre.  Methinks if they were a straight mainstream group, the suits would have been very much after them. Their '08 album Ending Is Beginning is their best, I would say.

Their lead singer Marc Martel has a rather uncanny vocal (and some would say even physical resemblance) to Freddie Mercury.  

Martel has provided material for the upcoming biopic, by the way.  Apparently, it is his voice used for the live performances shown in the movie.

On 10/17/2018 at 7:46 PM, Steve McQueen said:

Their lead singer Marc Martel has a rather uncanny vocal (and some would say even physical resemblance) to Freddie Mercury.  

Martel has provided material for the upcoming biopic, by the way.  Apparently, it is his voice used for the live performances shown in the movie.

Yeah he's done a couple tours with Queen's official tribute band.

I love his channel, he really is a fine singer and has some great covers (Queen and otherwise). And yes his Mercury impression is pretty unreal. 

Also this is funny.

I bet the video gets a lot of comments regarding the boobs bouncing. Most will love it, of course, but some fans will say "WTF?! Paul doesn't need this!"

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I bet the video gets a lot of comments regarding the boobs bouncing. Most will love it, of course, but some fans will say "WTF?! Paul doesn't need this!"

Personally, I don't give a single damn about what Paul McCartney needs, or doesn't need.

Hmm, don't know how I forgot, but today (the 21st) was Rich Mullins' birthday.  He would have been 63.  Singular man and singular singer-songwriter, a definite poetic and musical talent.  

My favorite popular music artist, although he really was at the uneasy edge of popular music and art music.

Here's a playlist if any are interested, focusing on some of my favorite works of his from a poetry angle.

• 2 weeks later...