The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Anyone else really looking forward to the new Vampire Weekend?  I need a thoughtful, toe-tapping pop-rock record in my life.

Apparently the title track (not released yet) samples Zimmer's Thin Red Line score.

Just now, Richard said:

I wasn't talking g to you!

Why would you be talking 'g' to me? That's inappropriate. 

12 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Anyone else miss Madonna's Earth Mother phase? I think Ray of Light is her best song (I also think it's my favorite pop song) and album. The music video has nice chukka boots and denim jacket.

03-madonna-rol-1998-billboard-1548.jpg

RAY OF LIGHT is her last truly great record. 

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Why would you be talking 'g' to me? That's inappropriate. 

It was a typo! You try texting while driving, and see what you come out with!

Just now, Richard said:

It was a typo! You try texting while driving, and see what you come out with!

Sure, driving while listening to Kenny G again, right? 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyone else really looking forward to the new Vampire Weekend?  I need a thoughtful, toe-tapping pop-rock record in my life.

Apparently the title track (not released yet) samples Zimmer's Thin Red Line score.

Has it really been 6 years since their last record?  Diane Young still feels like a recent song to me.  By god getting old sucks

13 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

When it comes to female pop sensations of yore, I prefer Kate Bush.

Her son, Albert, is singing, mainly, on the track, which is cool.

Being an 80s music fan, I really like her take on the decade's style in  Hounds Of Love.  A great album, indeed.

My favorite song of hers, however, is from her first album. Very ethereal track. Mesmerizing chord changes.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

That a good'un, @SteveMc Could you post MOVE TO MEMPHIS?

5 hours ago, Richard said:

What do you think of THE DREAMING?

Goes a bit over my head.  The whole concept of the Ninth Wave, too, though there are some striking moments in there.

42 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

In case there are Trevor Horn fans here ...

Trevor Horn is great, although I found his score for THE REFLECTION a mixed bag.

First track of Peter Gabriel's film songs compilation album. Love it when songs have that soft brass band sound. Featuring Paddy from Far And Away fame.

Fourth track on the album. There's some good stuff on this album I wasn't familiar with.

Of course, this one is pretty well-known.

A thread within a thread (Edgar Alan Parsons): Songs you haven't heard for decades but are not half bad:

"And I'll show you a sunset if you'll stay with me till dawn ..."  (Never heard anything from her after this) 

Kate looks kinda sensual in this clip. The trees ... the yellow road ... Is it a reference to The Wizard Of Oz? Mmmmm, yes ...

A sonic and songwriting triumph, yes.

Save The Life of My Child and that whole cycle is pretty much prog-rock already.

And, of course, Hazy Shade of Winter is there....

5 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

A sonic and songwriting triumph, yes.

I probably prefer at least 5 solo Simon albums to Bookends, but it's a great album no matter how you slice it!

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

As I'm sure you know, @Alexcremers, the lyrics for THE SENSUAL WORLD were "adapted" (perhaps "inspired by" might be a better description) from ULYSSES. 

But what does Ulysses have to do with dancing (travelling) amidst the trees on a yellow road? I guess it's just a coincidence. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSip20Es91ekklsoOkkFC_

hqdefault.jpg

9 hours ago, Richard said:

To understand that, you might want to read ULYSSES, Alex. 

Why don't they make it into a movie?

If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. - Stanley Kubrick

Just now, Richard said:

Oddly enough, whenever I read a book, there is no music, or "score" of any kind. It never occurs to me to add music. Perhaps I should. Thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome. Let us know if your music is better too. 

Weezer's debut album is 25 years old today!  Rolling Stone put out this nice article full of cool info about it:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/weezer-blue-album-rivers-cuomo-things-you-didnt-know-822881/

In the early 90s, Alison Moyet decided to get a bit darker with her album Hoodoo.  She moved away from the synths towards a more rock edge that reminds me just a bit of the direction U2 took with Actung Baby, though not quite so biting.    Some nice tracks on Hoodoo, with some pointed lyrics.  The material really suits her smoky almost proto-Adele vocal chops.  I think it is an album that, as a whole, has aged quite well.

Got a new(ish) album recommendation for any fans of power pop and 1970s artists like ELO and Todd Rundgren.  @SteveMc you might like this.

Dent May is a singer/songwriter who's been around for a while (very much an underground artist), but I discovered him in 2017 with the excellent album Across the Multiverse.  A very deliberate throwback to that 70s pop sound (the album cover makes it even more clear).  Try the song "Picture on a Screen" I find it irresistible.

EDIT: Oh Lord I'm starting to repeat myself! :blush2:

On 9/11/2017 at 10:54 AM, Disco Stu said:

I've never heard of this artist before, but I'm really enjoying this new album.

Dent May - Across the Multiverse

Recommended for fans of sunny 70s singer/songwriter pop like Nilsson, Emitt Rhodes, Todd Rundgren, etc., etc.

CAK123_DentMay_AcrossTheMultiverse_900-1