• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Shipwrecked by Patrick Doyle. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

A subpar Doyle effort, IMO. The main theme is annoying the first time around, and it gets played as nauseum.

The board probably lost faith in Doyle after GoF.

I haven't heard this one either (last Doyle score I got was The Last Legion and I haven't yet listened to that all the way through).

I never heard anything by Doyle before GoF and was thoroughly unimpressed by that. I do like some tracks of his, but on the whole I find both his themes and especially his (attempts at) action music severely lacking. I do like parts of Shipwrecked, because it sounds nicely sea-faring, though I do think it indeed sounds a bit annoying, like Morlock says.

Never heard -- or heard of -- this one.

However, I've never heard a Doyle score that I didn't like at least a little, and I'd place Henry V, Hamlet, Donnie Brasco, Needful Things (though a bit Omenish), and Much Ado About Nothing on my "excellent" list.

I also don't understand the dislike for Goblet of Fire. I thought that was solid music; certainly better than Order of the Phoenix.

I almost fell asleep during the "Voldemort" track. Considering that's supposed to be a track written for a scene in which the main character is in considerable danger, this is a very bad omen. I listened to GoF several times and I can hardly find anything to like. It doesn't sound magical and it doesn't sound interesting. I like OotP better, even though that is hardly impressive either. At least it's got some fun music. Though the electric guitar in the first track was not a good start. I really like the real opening track for OotP though. I think that was some clever use of Hedwig's theme and nicely complimented the extreme heat at that point in the film.

There isn't a love theme that's less lacking than the one Doyle wrote for Frankenstein.
I never heard that one though, so I'll believe you on your word. ;)

I also don't understand the dislike for Goblet of Fire. I thought that was solid music; certainly better than Order of the Phoenix.

Miklos Rozsa could have risen from the grave and scored the film and people would still hate it.

Basically it's no John Williams in HP credits, no likey film score.

Never heard -- or heard of -- this one.

However, I've never heard a Doyle score that I didn't like at least a little, and I'd place Henry V, Hamlet, Donnie Brasco, Needful Things (though a bit Omenish), and Much Ado About Nothing on my "excellent" list.

At least that's 2 of us Bryant - i've stuck up for Doyle on this board ad-naseum over the years - specifically since Goblet Of Fire. The latter of which is a solid score with typically beautiful melodies. Admittedly the action writing features more bombast than structure but action scoring is not Doyle's forte.

Shipwrecked has an infectious theme and is a thoroughly enjoyable score, even if it is somewhat repeatitive as already stated.

Nim's Island was a sub-par offering earlier in the year, I was hoping he would employ more excitement and adventure as with Shipwrecked.

Marian - absolutely Elizabeth's theme is true passion! :lol:

I'm not an enormous Potter fan, nor am I an enormous Doyle fan, but I recall being impressed by the score during the film on multiple occasions, and I also recall liking the CD a lot each time I listened to it after getting it. Nothing stands out for me even on looking at the track titles, but I'm inclined to attribute that to a poor memory on my part.

I also liked Hooper's score for Order of the Phoenix well enough in the movie, but the CD seems to have been a botch -- I was thrilled to get it after having seen the movie, and I sat there listening to it wondering if I'd gone nuts. I haven't watched the movie a second time to see how my opinion might change (again), but it would hardly be the first time in history a soundtrack CD was a terrible representation of a score. In fact, it seems to be almost the natural order of things.

I omitted Dead Again from the list of Doyle scores I like; that one's pretty solid, too, and at some point soon I'd like to get As You Like It.

I also liked Hooper's score for Order of the Phoenix well enough in the movie, but the CD seems to have been a botch -- I was thrilled to get it after having seen the movie, and I sat there listening to it wondering if I'd gone nuts. I haven't watched the movie a second time to see how my opinion might change (again), but it would hardly be the first time in history a soundtrack CD was a terrible representation of a score. In fact, it seems to be almost the natural order of things.

I find it's an excellent representation of the score. The album is a passable listen, while the full score would put me to sleep. The only unreleased music I found remotely interesting was a bit that quoted Hedwig's theme, and that's only because, well, it quoted Hedwig's theme.

I'll concede though that the CD's in a lousy order. Put in chrono (and while you're at it, snag those bits of unreleased music from the WB site).

I find it's an excellent representation of the score. The album is a passable listen, while the full score would put me to sleep. The only unreleased music I found remotely interesting was a bit that quoted Hedwig's theme, and that's only because, well, it quoted Hedwig's theme.

I'll concede though that the CD's in a lousy order. Put in chrono (and while you're at it, snag those bits of unreleased music from the WB site).

I'll give that a shot next time I listen to it -- which'll probably be around the time Half-Blood Prince comes out.

I have Shipwrecked on VHS. I used to love it but I haven't seen it for years, so I don't even vaguely remember the music. I'll refrain from voting.

Is there something to like about the film? I'd like to see it, but of course it is again one of those "you'll never find it unless you pay a lot" kind of films. :|

I enjoy it. I think I taped it from TV over a decade ago. It's a good old fashioned tale of a kid shipwrecked all alone on a tropical island, complete with pirates, plunder, and booby traps. And Gabriel Byrne's in it.

I'm a huge Doyle fan, but this music never interested me much. Eragon, Goblet of Fire, and The Last Legion were reasons I thought I'd like this, but it never reaches their level of quality.

• 11 years later...
On 7/1/2008 at 11:01 PM, Pieter Boelen said:

Is there something to like about the film? I'd like to see it, but of course it is again one of those "you'll never find it unless you pay a lot" kind of films. :|

It's not that expensive. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shipwrecked-DVD-Gabriel-Byrne/dp/B0001IMCDO/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=shipwrecked&qid=1592471664&s=dvd&sr=1-2

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wow! Blast from the past right there!!

In the meantime, believe it or not, I actually found the film and it now comfortably sits as part of the rest of the collection.

Haven't watched it for a while, but I remember quite enjoying it. :D

There is no star rating. It's a new column that celebrates Norwegian film music, so all selections are 'jewels'.