Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Josh500

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Music by John Williams  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK John Williams will compose Deathly Hallows?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you HOPE John Williams will compose Deathly Hallows?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love two new Harry Potter/John Williams scores.

what do you want him to score Neil, Lincoln, Tintin, The Chicago 7, Williams HP scores have at least been successful for the most part, certainly more than his other stuff which you have mostly despised.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing! How great would it be if we had a JW score in two parts? :lol:

No for both, I'm 100% certain that he won't be returning to Potter. I wouldn't mind if he came back, but I can't say that I hope he does as I'm largely indifferent to the franchise now. I'm quite happy with JWs music for Harry Potter, he ended on quite a high note with the series. I certainly don't want another boring score like KotcS for Potter.

I would love two new good Potter/Williams scores, but its not happening either way. I don't think he's coming back and even if he did, they might turn out like KOtcS.

If I vote "no" twice, does that mean Hans Zimmer will do it?

:lol:

With Yates directing the last two...er, three, I'm sure we have three more Hooper scores in the offing. At least indy4 will be happy.

I would love two new good Potter/Williams scores, but its not happening either way. I don't think he's coming back and even if he did, they might turn out like KOtcS.

Williams has been far more successful with Harry Potter, even with COS, there is no denying that Fawkes the Phoenix, and Chamber of Secrets are great tracks if not outright masterpieces(they are).

Williams would be far more inspired by the Battle of Hogwarts than Crystal Skull, which I find better than you.

No for both, I'm 100% certain that he won't be returning to Potter. I wouldn't mind if he came back, but I can't say that I hope he does as I'm largely indifferent to the franchise now. I'm quite happy with JWs music for Harry Potter, he ended on quite a high note with the series. I certainly don't want another boring score like KotcS for Potter.

My, aren't you the Mr. Optimistic?

So, in other words, you don't want him to compose anything anymore, because you fear it might be like KotCS!?

Williams has been far more successful with Harry Potter, even with COS, there is no denying that Fawkes the Phoenix, and Chamber of Secrets are great tracks if not outright masterpieces(they are).

Williams would be far more inspired by the Battle of Hogwarts than Crystal Skull, which I find better than you.

Or he might score it like the chase through Coruscant or the Battle of Geonosis. I agree that Fawkes and Chamber are probably his greatest themes in the past 20-25 years. I've said that numerous times, but we are now 6 years removed from that, 7 or 8 by the time JW actually got around to seeing a cut of Deathly Hallows, so that has nothing to do with his scoring Deathly Hallows.

So, in other words, you don't want him to compose anything anymore, because you fear it might be like KotCS!?

I hate having to repeat myself. I said I'm indifferent to the Potter series at this point. I never said "I hope he doesn't come back!" or "I don't want him to come back!" There is a difference.

I wouldn't mind if he came back, but I can't say that I hope he does as I'm largely indifferent to the franchise now.

CoS (the cue) is brilliant. Fawkes is nice, but it still makes the same impression to me it did when I first heard it: A close cousin to Across the Stars, only less filed and slightly superficial.

Sometimes I just can't follow your logic. :lol:

CoS (the cue) is brilliant. Fawkes is nice, but it still makes the same impression to me it did when I first heard it: A close cousin to Across the Stars, only less filed and slightly superficial.

I think we're on the same wavelength here.

I don't think he will, just because there isn't any evidence to suggest it. But I'd still like him to, I'd say KOTCS proved he could still do it successfully.

marian, across the stars is sh*t compared to either top track from CoS, it is the most overrated cue of this century by JW

he's done a better job with HP than any of the low rent prequels

what do you want him to score Neil, Lincoln, Tintin, The Chicago 7, Williams HP scores have at least been successful for the most part, certainly more than his other stuff which you have mostly despised.

i agree with Joe here.

Though Tintin might be the least worse other option.

and all the KotCS hate....sure it has disapointing and boring parts,but I'd rather have the several good cues it does have than nothing at all. KotCS still has more good tracks than Munich, WotW,Geisha,Minority Report,CMIYC,Angelas Ashes,SPR,Rosewood,Stepmom,7 Years in tibet,Sleepers.....

KotCS still has more good tracks than Munich, Geisha,Minority Report,CMIYC,Angelas Ashes,SPR,Rosewood,7 Years in tibet,.....

WRONG. All of those aforementioned scores are waaaayyy better than KOTCS. There is hardly anything original in Indy 4. Mutt's Theme, Irina's Theme (barely original), Skull's Theme (Rehash or Ark's Theme).

No and no. Not after the steaming pile of Goldsmith-Late-Careeresque rubbish we got with KotCS.

He gave us one of his best scores ever in PoA. Let the man go out on top with the franchise.

KotCS still has more good tracks than Munich, Geisha,Minority Report,CMIYC,Angelas Ashes,SPR,Rosewood,7 Years in tibet,.....

WRONG. All of those aforementioned scores are waaaayyy better than KOTCS. There is hardly anything original in Indy 4. Mutt's Theme, Irina's Theme (barely original), Skull's Theme (Rehash or Ark's Theme).

Oh dear lord I agree with Koray again.

As much as I dislike Hooper's Order of the Phoenix, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and hope that his relative newness to the industry will allow him to take and constructively use criticism leveled against him for OotP to deliver a better score for the next three films.

:)

Careful, don't inflate his head.

With Yates directing the last two...er, three, I'm sure we have three more Hooper scores in the offing. At least indy4 will be happy.

:) I still love Hooper's score, but obviously I would want JW to return. In fact, I really don't know why anybody would not want JW to score Potter. He has shone us thrice that Potter and Williams is a combination that really works excellently, he has brought so much to those films, I would LOVE him to do it.

Do I think he will? I'm not so sure. I voted no, but there's always hope.

I don't want him to score any more Potters. He already has, like someone said earlier, left his mark. Prisoner Of Azkaban is one of his best of the past decade, I don't think he can top it. Let Hooper work with the rest of the series, so he can develop some continuing themes and develop his own style for his career. His Order Of The Phoenix score was great.

I think the Potter films are a wonderful opportunity for composers like Hooper to show what they can do with such diverse material to work with (majesty, romance, horror, comedy). I'd love to hear one last JW Potter score, but I'm also excited to see Hooper's development as a composer.

marian, across the stars is sh*t compared to either top track from CoS, it is the most overrated cue of this century by JW

No, Across the Stars isn't s***, even compared to Fawkes the Phnonix. They are both great themes, GRAND themes, in their own way.

I can only roll my eyes at people who think they are close cousins, though . . . they are NOTHING alike. Across the Stars is about tragic love in a galaxy far far away, Fawkes is about the magnificent elegance of a bird. :)

:)

Why don't you two get a room? :P

As much as I dislike Hooper's Order of the Phoenix, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and hope that his relative newness to the industry will allow him to take and constructively use criticism leveled against him for OotP to deliver a better score for the next three films.

Don't know about that. I've heard from various sources that he wasn't easy to work with, and the Aussie interview that surfaced last year made it sound like he thought he'd done a great job.

I Doubt Williams will return to the franchise - he's never done it with any other series of films and he went out on a real high with PoA (although I still think it's a little overrated by some here). I would guess Hooper will probably see Potter out, and I can only hope he gets out of his TV scoring clothes as soon as possible.

I Doubt Williams will return to the franchise - he's never done it with any other series of films and he went out on a real high with PoA (although I still think it's a little overrated by some here).

Except for Superman IV. In fact, a situation like Superman IV is quite conceivable if Columbus were to persuade Williams to come back to the franchise in some capacity, if not composing the whole score.

I believe that he is no longer involved with the franchise.

Not even as exec producer? It's been a while since I've even looked.

Edit: imdb says POA is the last film Columbus was involved with. So let it be written, so let it be done.

I believe that he is no longer involved with the franchise.

Not even as exec producer? It's been a while since I've even looked.

Nope. His production company 1492 Pictures produced the first 3, and then he dropped out.

But that doesn't mean he can't/won't come back . . .

I can only roll my eyes at people who think they are close cousins, though . . . they are NOTHING alike. Across the Stars is about tragic love in a galaxy far far away, Fawkes is about the magnificent elegance of a bird. :rolleyes:

The difference in what they represent just makes the musical similarities stand out even more.

What are you talking about? I was just listening to across the stars five minutes ago and i think its a beautiful piece! It has so many different aspects to it and its a very rich composition. One of Williams best in recent times.

No, Across the Stars isn't s***, even compared to Fawkes the Phnonix. They are both great themes, GRAND themes, in their own way.

I can only roll my eyes at people who think they are close cousins, though . . . they are NOTHING alike. Across the Stars is about tragic love in a galaxy far far away, Fawkes is about the magnificent elegance of a bird. :rolleyes:

I agree with Josh, but I think that Marian was talking more about technical similarities, of which I know little. Just going purely on what it sounds to me, they sound very different.

Across The Stars is a nice theme, but it's overlong and underdeveloped.

Just like the film it was composed for.