Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Josh500

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Music by John Williams  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK John Williams will compose Deathly Hallows?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you HOPE John Williams will compose Deathly Hallows?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that he is no longer involved with the franchise.

Not even as exec producer? It's been a while since I've even looked.

Nope. His production company 1492 Pictures produced the first 3, and then he dropped out.

But that doesn't mean he can't/won't come back . . .

I'm fairly certain that's too late, what with the announcement of the 7th movie being done by Yates and split in two. If Columbus was returning we'd know by know. ;)

I don't see JW scoring Harry Potter againt. I'd say if the choice was him scoring this or doing nothing, I'd want him to score it. If its something completely new or Deathly Hollows, I'd want him to score something new.

given the fact that John openly said he wants to do it, you'd think the fools here would want it, instead they'll get lincoln, it will be boring, some will proclaim it the greatest thing ever, and in the end it will collect dust

given the fact that John openly said he wants to do it

All he did was give a diplomatic, polite and vague answer when directly asked if he'd be returning to Potter. If he truly wanted to return he would have done so by now.

Even Goldsmith's best scores tended to fall under his better movies. A composer simply can't come up with superb material when uninspired.

Not quite. A lot of his best music was for good movies. But there are some of his best works which were written for lesser movies - like The Final Conflict or Twilight Zone, for example.

I suppose it's generally easier to write good music for a good movie. But at least as important is a subject matter that captures the composer's imagination. As long as the overall story arc or context inspires enough, it's (nearly) irrelevant how good the actual movie turns out. The Omen is an ok movie, but when listening to the music and just thinking about the overall plot, it seems to me as if it's much better than it really is.

What do we want? A John Williams score about one of the great American Presidents of the 19th century who was the Commander in Chief during the American Civil War, or the bound to be disappointing conclusion to Potter's Creek or Hogwarts 90210 or whatever it's called?

I'll pick the skinny guy with the top hat. Four score and seven years ago, I still would have picked it... if I was alive.

Drax you're so anti Potter, you are the last person to ask.

You can have the old dead depressed racist, I'll take the battle of Hogwarts over the battle of Gettisburg.

You can have the old dead depressed racist, I'll take the battle of Hogwarts over the battle of Gettisburg.

You can have the same old kiddie fare, I'll take an interesting and complex character over more of the same old good guys vs bad guys.

those are quick fun trash, but hardly worthy of williams

Do I think he will? No, of course not. Do I want him to? YEEEEES!

The Potter films lost a lot of magic since Williams left. I watched OotP last week and I really, really missed Williams' input there. Same with GoF. The score to PoA, however, is so good that it makes me want to want that film again, even though I don't much care for the film itself. As far as films are concerned, I like GoF and OotP more than PoA, but the music to either films is really not impressive. Still I'd rather have Hooper continuing the series than Patrick Doyle.

What do we want? A John Williams score about one of the great American Presidents of the 19th century who was the Commander in Chief during the American Civil War, or the bound to be disappointing conclusion to Potter's Creek or Hogwarts 90210 or whatever it's called?

I'll pick the skinny guy with the top hat. Four score and seven years ago, I still would have picked it... if I was alive.

But it's not a matter of picking. JW will score Lincoln no matter what, as long as Spielberg directs it. DH would just be something else added onto it. Even though I am a HUGE fan of all Potter books, JW has been able to turn a poor film into a fantastic score (Hook, 1941). So even if he doesn't find the story inspiring, he may still be able to work some magic.

But it's not a matter of picking. JW will score Lincoln no matter what, as long as Spielberg directs it. DH would just be something else added onto it. Even though I am a HUGE fan of all Potter books, JW has been able to turn a poor film into a fantastic score (Hook, 1941). So even if he doesn't find the story inspiring, he may still be able to work some magic.

He didn't work magic with KOTCS, so how could he with Harry Potter? I agree with Drax on this one. I've been anticipating Lincoln ever since I saw it on IMDb a few years ago. I hope the score is in the same vein as Munich.

He didn't work magic with KOTCS, so how could he with Harry Potter?

You don't even think he worked magic with the first three Indy scores - you're not expected to enjoy KotCS.

Most of the people (at least on this board) who enjoy the first three enjoy to fourth, to varying extents.

I enjoy it to some extent but that doesn't mean it's in the same league as the first three scores (and the third score isn't in the same league as the first two).

• 1 year later...

I don't see JW scoring Harry Potter againt. I'd say if the choice was him scoring this or doing nothing, I'd want him to score it. If its something completely new or Deathly Hollows, I'd want him to score something new.

Your right. Part I: Alexandre Desplat will be scoring Part I of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollow's

Whatever he chooses to do, the fans have to accept (and, hopefully respect) his choice. Like a lot of people, I am begining to grow out of Harry Potter, although I will see the last two films. Why? "Curosity, Mr. Decker, insatiable curiosity". I'm sure that whoever scores the last two (Desplat? Williams? Hooper?) will service the films well, and, hopefully, provide the soundtrack-buying public with good music. After all, that is all we can hope for...