• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

I'm going on holiday for a week, but before I go, I'll give you a thread on one of my favourite recent scores. It must be one of the best scores written for a video game and by an actual film composer, no less. I think this is John Debney's best work since Cutthroat Island, which is saying something, coming from me. :lol:

Today's score is Lair by John Debney. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks? Base your opinion on the complete score if you can. ;)

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

This one gets a five-star rating from me. Good themes, good action music and some beautiful music as well. It's a bit heavy on the action stuff, but it's good, so I don't mind. ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad score, really, but sort of average fare. Not much of interest. Mushy recording, homophonic harmonies. While "Epilogue" certainly has a nice melody, it just demonstrates the simplicity and kind of boringness of the score. Builds to a nice climax, but the melody is so minorly diatonic, it doesn't hold interest greatly.

That said, not a bad score. The Passion is a far better effort from Debney.

I'll give the album a 3 and the complete score a 4... The album's ratio of action music to non-action music is horrifying. All of the interesting lower key cues were left off. The originality issue is kind of interesting. I like that it imitates other scores. It's sort of like being a kid again; it awakens memories.

And Blumen... this post is brough to you?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really hear much of the references to other scores in Lair, just the obvious James Horner danger motif at the end of the Civilization Theme.

I don't really hear much of the references to other scores in Lair, just the obvious James Horner danger motif at the end of the Civilization Theme.

dude the main battle theme is based on Battle of the heroes.

Other battle theme is based on Kronos unveiled from the Incredibles

there is a small passage from Elfman's Batman

etc...

Can't really say I noticed that. I did notice the Kronos Unveiled one, but it didn't really bother me, especially because it does sound different. Makes me wonder if those similarities are on purpose or accidental. And if they're on purpose, do they have a purpose or is it just laziness? I do hold John Debney in a pretty high regard, because he's come up with quite some good music, so I wouldn't quickly believe it's purely laziness.

possibly since its 'just' a videogame, he wanted to do a familiar-quickly recognizable score that appealed the casual player.

The SW wars 'epic' sound is pretty recognizable, even if there arent lifted notes.

FIVE! Just detected it today while my friend was playing Lair... Fantastic much more creative then most of the recent filmmusic projects!!

Love it

and can somebody help me with some CD covers are there any?

yes... very "shocking" moment for me.. :P !

and can somebody help me with some CD covers are there any?
Here's some. Or do you need the ones for the complete edition? I know they're floating around on the forum somewhere. :P

Thank you.. there are great. Wait is the Lisbeth Scott?? from Munich??

wasn't she on passion of the christ.. and in ubeda together with debney?

A great.. didn't kno she did so much filmmusic... but now that i think.. isn't she in Horner's TROY too?

Tanya Tsarovska is the one from Troy, and also sings on Lair.

What complete version of lair do you have?

I may have Covers for that