Great stereo quality of Towering Inferno Main Title on YouTube

Limbonaut

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is NOT the original recording but from the Towering Inferno Suite that runs about 24minutes. I think it's performed by the RTL Symphony Orchestra. But I could be wrong.

where's the JW credit in the opening titles?

John Williams' screen credit isn't until the beginning of the end titles.

That's not the original version, you can hear the helicopter sound effects in the original. It doesn't sound like McNeely's recording on the Varese disaster album either, maybe it's from Silva.

That's not the original version, you can hear the helicopter sound effects in the original. It doesn't sound like McNeely's recording on the Varese disaster album either, maybe it's from Silva.

Yeah, it's the City of the Prague Philharmonic. It's a worthy recording: one of their "hits".... as opposed to their many "misses". :happybday:

So this is the City of Prague recording? There is an odd note at 1:18 in the strings. Not like a playing mistake, but rather a different note... I know in rerecordings sometimes there are score mistakes and stuff to rectify - if there is a discrepancy in a score you have to make a call, but I'm not sure about that one. The recording seems very good otherwise, and strong (the RSNO version, as enjoyable at is, has a few brass "clams" in the middle!)

In any case, I noticed the rerecordings are slightly different than the original in some of the inner lines: Original -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-e-RAkEGI&

Like, the percussive middle section before the firefighter dedication, the low brass in the rerecordings double the woodwinds exactly - in the original their line is simpler, and etc.

I guess the score was tweaked for rerecording?

So this is the City of Prague recording? There is an odd note at 1:18 in the strings. Not like a playing mistake, but rather a different note... I know in rerecordings sometimes there are score mistakes and stuff to rectify - if there is a discrepancy in a score you have to make a call, but I'm not sure about that one.

It sounds badly out of tune to me. Maybe by half a semitone.